RL 22 in 300Wby

Very similar to it.

Glad you made it on here bud. Glad I could help!

There are ballisticians who claim that they are identical powders with different packaging. I would not, however, take that as gospel. Good to have you aboard, Truck Driver.

I tried it. Velocity is excellent. Accuracy was not as good as H1000 for my rifle. I'd give it a shot using Nosler's data. Email me if you need the data.

I have tried RL22 with 180 grain Accubonds and I was not very impressed. Currently I'm using IMR 7828 and I am very satisfied with the results. From my load development I found 83 grains of IMR 7828 (not the short cut stuff) to be the best when pushing 180 grain Accubonds out my 300 Weatherby.

Larry

IMR 7828 give good velocity and accuracy. I was surprised to see 3400 fps velocity with Barnes TSX from my Accumark.

MRP gives good velocities better than RL-22 and both about the same on accuracy but I like IMR7828 which I think is a better choice with the 300Wby magnum and was in my load work giving better accuracy and very good velocities.

I can't see a guy going wrong with any of them really. I experimented a little with RL22 and 200 grain PTs. Accuracy seemed real decent and the speed was right on line with what was expected. Let us know what bullet you plan on using and I bet a few of these WBY nuts will get you set right up.

Welcome aboard.

FOTIS thanks for your help in getting me setup.
Also thanks to everyone for your responces. When things around my area started getting panicy
I was looking to stock up on supplies while they were still available primers ,powder and bullets.
RL 22 was available so I bought a can to see me threw the rush along with H4831. I haven't been able to try it out because of an accident and I'm temporarily confined to my home with a Broken ankle which is healing very nicely.
The 300Wby is my first magnum and the first one I've loaded for so I'm compiling all the info I can.
TD

ReLoder 22 can be a great performer in the 300 WBY. I've tended toward other powders, primarily because they were somewhat more common in this area. When powders get somewhat scarce, I reserve favourites for myself, and RL22 is one of my all 'round favourites for a variety of cartridges.

Would anyone like to share some load info for RL22? I'm looking for safe,accurate loads. I know all rifles perform differently and should expect different results.
My rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_20130111_093558.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 2,769
What bullet are you wanting to use and what manuals do you have for load data.

I like the 200's in the 30 caliber magnums, but I don't have any specific data to pass you in regards to the 300. I was using book loads of RL22 and the 200 grain PT. Was getting over 2900 with them and the accuracy was pretty good.

Very nice rifle. Looks built to hunt for sure.

Right now I have 165gr and 180gr which I was told 180 being the best choice. As for manuals I have a #1 Nosler, latest additon Hodgon, Sierra, Lyman, Speer. and older Hornaday, Accurate powder, Sierra, Lyman, manuals. I've collected a lot of manuals over the years and have been reloading since I was 12 I'm 63 now.
I plan on updating the Nosler and Hornaday when I get a chance.
The pic I posted started out as a S1 and I add a B&C medalist with a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x44 AO in Talley light weight rings.
TD

Rodger, I'll send you an email with some data I've used. Reality is, I like the Nosler data as far as current published stuff goes. Nosler seems to be the last holdouts to the trend of dumbing down data to make magnums run like rimfires. The most recent Hornady and Speer data are dismal for most if not all of the Weatherby rounds. The 270Wby is shown as maxing out at 2900fps with a 150gr bullet. I've shot factory ammo from my brother's 270Win A-Bolt II with 150s doing 2900 and change. Give me a break. The trick is, none of these loads are actually tested in the Hornady manual, I don't believe, nor do I think they are in the Speer manual. The most recent Alliant powder data is also ridiculous. Look for that email when I can get some scans done of the data. Hopefully today.

dubyam":2jvgtyr4 said:
Nosler seems to be the last holdouts to the trend of dumbing down data to make magnums run like rimfires.

I suspect there's a marketing angle somewhere, and all of them do it to one degree or another... Seems they've always loaded-down the traditional magnums and hot-loaded the new stuff (i.e. WSMs and anything with "AI" in the name). Just look at the number of compressed loads shown in the tables for any WSM/AI compared to the old-school magnums.

By the way, IMR-7828 was the best powder I found for the 300Wby, in terms of accuracy "and" velocity. With 7828, I could come very-very close to Wby factory ammo speeds with the same weight bullet. The factory ammo is definitely not loaded down. BT

Back