RL 22 in 300Wby

I have most of the major name brand reloading manuals some old some new.
Most recent additions of Sierra, Lyman, Hodgon, Speer. Older manuals Nosler #1, Hornaday#2, older Lyman and Sierra plus various Powder manufactures. I've been reloading for around 50yrs and have collected a lot of good reading material.
As for bullet weight I understand the 300Wby likes 180gr so we can start there. I have tried some 150s and 165s with IMR 4831 and have some H4831 on hand aslo. But primarily looking for what works best for everyone. I haven't tried the RL22 yet but do have a can waiting in the shadows for future experimentation.

I can't see you going wrong starting with a 180/200 AB/PT. Again, I kinda like the heavier stuff, but I can't see the 180 ever being a bad choice. I would imagine H4831 or RL22 would have you hunting pretty quick. Good luck sir.

Well, you sound like you need some specific loads. I will give you my favorites, but as usual with any load you get off the internet, they may not be safe in your gun.

Also, note that these loads are made up using Weatherby (Norma) brass. If you use Remington brass you will need to reduce the powder a couple grains as the Remington cases are thicker and cause higher pressure.

My all time favorite is a 180 grain Nosler Partition over 82.5 grains of RL 22. In my Remington 700 Classic which has a 24 inch barrel this gives about 3150 fps and shoots under an inch most times. This load has accounted for several bull elk, wild hogs, deer, etc. I found that the same load with a 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunter shoots to the same point of impact and is sometimes used for practise or on hogs and deer here in CA.

Living in the middle of CA I had to work up a load using non-lead bullets to hunt with around here.
I settled on a load of 85 grains of RL 22 behind a 168 grain TSX bullet for 3250 fps and again groups of 3/4 or so inches. I could have gone a little higher on the powder charge but was lucky to find this load also shoots to the same point of impact as the 180 Nosler/Sierra load (pure luck).
I have not shot any game with this load as of yet.

All these loads are primed with the Federal 215M primer.

Hope this helps, the 300 Weatherby is a great cartridge

R Flowers":1y5x2qwu said:
Well, you sound like you need some specific loads. I will give you my favorites, but as usual with any load you get off the internet, they may not be safe in your gun.

Also, note that these loads are made up using Weatherby (Norma) brass. If you use Remington brass you will need to reduce the powder a couple grains as the Remington cases are thicker and cause higher pressure.

My all time favorite is a 180 grain Nosler Partition over 82.5 grains of RL 22. In my Remington 700 Classic which has a 24 inch barrel this gives about 3150 fps and shoots under an inch most times. This load has accounted for several bull elk, wild hogs, deer, etc. I found that the same load with a 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunter shoots to the same point of impact and is sometimes used for practise or on hogs and deer here in CA.

Living in the middle of CA I had to work up a load using non-lead bullets to hunt with around here.
I settled on a load of 85 grains of RL 22 behind a 168 grain TSX bullet for 3250 fps and again groups of 3/4 or so inches. I could have gone a little higher on the powder charge but was lucky to find this load also shoots to the same point of impact as the 180 Nosler/Sierra load (pure luck).
I have not shot any game with this load as of yet.

All these loads are primed with the Federal 215M primer.

Hope this helps, the 300 Weatherby is a great cartridge

R Flowers
Thanks I'll start a little low and work into them.
TD

I cant remember where your located TD?? Reason I ask is we have had some real problems with RL22 being temp sensitive here in WY. In my STW it would go from being a good very accurate load and not overly hot to still being accurate but would blow the primer pocket's and stick the cases. I backed the load off 1 gr. and it will still go from no pressure signs to flattening primers when it gets hot outside. I wish it wasn't temp sensitive because it can be very accurate and really produces some excellent velocities.

I'm located on the East Coast We use to call it the Free State but I'm starting to wonder any more just how free we are. ( MD )

Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm sorry for the late reply I've was side tracked with other things and for got about my post. Trying to recover from my ankle surgery can be very distracting at times.
Again thanks for all the info and your help.

TD

Good luck and speedy recovery on your ankle. I had ankle surgery 2 years ago to repair torn paroneal tendons and it was a slow process. I am 100% now.

RL 22 seems to be a favorite in the 300 Wby and is the most accurate powder tested by Nosler with 200 gr bullets. IMR 7828 is also excellent and is the most accurate powder tested for 180 gr bullets. Both will get you the velocities you are looking for. Other choices would be RL 25 and H1000.

JD338

In a custom chamber Mark V I had, rl-22 was the best powder with 80 grains in a 180 Partition doing 3170 fps and very small groups. My present 300 Wby is a model 70 and it likes RL-25, 87 grains with 180 AB is 3250 and .750" groups at 100. IMR 7828 ssc with TSX 168 grainers also puts in tiny groups at 3310 fps. All my loads are R-P brass so Wby brass would probably need a couple more grains! With powder availability the way it is, you may have to use what you can find!

OldMan":dbp3zuj6 said:
In a custom chamber Mark V I had, rl-22 was the best powder with 80 grains in a 180 Partition doing 3170 fps and very small groups. My present 300 Wby is a model 70 and it likes RL-25, 87 grains with 180 AB is 3250 and .750" groups at 100. IMR 7828 ssc with TSX 168 grainers also puts in tiny groups at 3310 fps. All my loads are R-P brass so Wby brass would probably need a couple more grains! With powder availability the way it is, you may have to use what you can find!
In the custom chambered Mark V did it have the standard long free bore or was it short cut so you could seat the bullet to reach the lands?
Is the model 70 also a custom build or a Factory chamber?

TD

If you can, get a copy of the new Nosler RG #7. It is packed with a lot of good info and it will aid you in your recovery. :)

JD338

JD338":bbw2l6fy said:
TD

If you can, get a copy of the new Nosler RG #7. It is packed with a lot of good info and it will aid you in your recovery. :)

JD338
I've been reading the free copy of the #6 on line but yea your right I should get the #7 since the only Nosler RG I have is the #1.
I got lucky yesterday after my wife came home from shoping and let me drive the car over to Harpersferry WV for dinner at the Cliff Side. Felt good to get behind the wheel.

truck driver":2gdeoqpf said:
OldMan":2gdeoqpf said:
In the custom chambered Mark V did it have the standard long free bore or was it short cut so you could seat the bullet to reach the lands?
My custom barrel started out with a short leade, but I quickly had it made to the Weatherby standard so it would take factory fodder if need be! Since it was a custom C. P. Donnaly barrel it was set to closer tolerance than factory. My son had a factory 300 Mark V at the same time and his gun showed 3125 fps with the same 80 gr load.

OldMan":18lk7by2 said:
truck driver":18lk7by2 said:
OldMan":18lk7by2 said:
My custom barrel started out with a short leade, but I quickly had it made to the Weatherby standard so it would take factory fodder if need be! Since it was a custom C. P. Donnaly barrel it was set to closer tolerance than factory. My son had a factory 300 Mark V at the same time and his gun showed 3125 fps with the same 80 gr load.
The one thing I've been told and beleave no matter what the caliber is that some barrels are faster than others that are the same length. No 2 barrels in the same caliber and make come out and shoot the same.
Thanks for the reply and info.

truck driver":1gojydat said:
The one thing I've been told and beleave no matter what the caliber is that some barrels are faster than others that are the same length. No 2 barrels in the same caliber and make come out and shoot the same.
Thanks for the reply and info.

I've seen this time and time again. I've seen some barrels up to 200fps faster than others.

Back