RL-22 Range Time

OleBud

Beginner
Jul 29, 2022
Got to fling a few rounds this am. Using a cheapie Caldwell chrono, and apparently it was way way off, but posting anyway.
All loads with Hornady brass, CCI LMRP primers, and 162 gr Hornady ELDX.

66.0 gr -
average 3199, ES 4 1.10” group at 100

66.2 gr -
average 3186, ES 24 1.32” group at 100

66.3 gr-
average 3188, ES 24 1.05” group at 100

66.4 gr-
average 3192, ES 24 0.72” group at 100

Wish I had an accurate chrono to see real numbers. I figured 3050 FPS would be hot.

I can’t believe I didn’t list that. Yes. 7 mm Rem Mag.
What are your thoughts on the MagnetoSpeed? They have one for like $199.00, and I may have a birthday coming up!

66.0grs of Reloader-22 is a standard load I've used in several 7mags with 160gr bullets.Velocity did vary between rifles.The one with the slowest velocity was also the rifle that shot better with a .5gr more powder with out any pressure indications.So I think you are spot on with your load.As for velocity,it sounds a little high.One of my rifles was getting 3100fps with that 66.0gr load,the others were near the 3050fps range.Chronographs can give you some whacky readings if the eyes don't properly see the bullet.I found that out one morning when the same loads were shooting a 100fps difference in an hour or so apart.The direction I was shooting was towards the rising sun.As the sun got higher the velocity changed.I have since then moved to another location shooting to the north.The sunlight shining from the side of the chronograph gave me consistent,repeatable velocities because the eyes could see the bullet clearly without a shadow affecting how it saw the bullet.I also have a Magnetospeed and I get near identical reading as my Prochrono shooting at the north direction range.So when I go to the other range shooting to the east,I just use my Magnetospeed to check my velocities.

try the 66.4 gr load out of a cold barrel, is it a custom barrel? any pressure signs?
It’s a stock browning xbolt. So far zero pressure signs. Recoil was actually rather mild, which leads me to believe the velocities are for sure lower. I’d think a 162 moving at 3200 would protest a tad hahaha

If you have case head expansion of less than .001you are not over pressure in your rifle, every barrel, rifling combination, exact chamber size, throat angle, and leade is different as far as actual velocity. flat primers can be a sign of chamber pressure, as can sticky extraction, but if your chamber, barrel, throat angle, leade combination just happens to run the bullet faster than normal with no pressure signs I would not worry about it unless your shooting long range then the exact velocity would be nice in plotting your trajectory. I have rifles that shoot faster than they are supposed to with the book loads and some that shoot slower. they all vary to some extent.

Wait for a free shipping on $49 coupon code.
I use mine a lot , the only draw back is on sporter barrels it affects POI and group.

Back