RL19 Substitute

MainNutz

Beginner
Oct 2, 2022
Currently reloading my 338 Win Mag with RL19 but hard to find, what would be a good substitute for it? I have H4350 and W760 on the shelf if not these what would be a good powder shooting a Nosler Partition in 210 grain.

I guess I would start with H4350 given it is just a little bit faster than RL19. H 4350 also seems to be relatively available, at least in NE Oregon. If you find any Rl 19 please let me know. Good luck.
Welcome aboard.

I have used Ramshot Hunter in a couple of 338's. H4350 should do very nicely.

H4350 would be a good choice for the 338 WM.

JD338

I have used IMR4350 so I would say the H4350 would be a good choice. RL17 also works as well as RL19 if you have them. I have loaded the 210gr Nosler PAR and also the 225gr Swift A-Frame with these powders.

I have been playing with ramshot big game it seems give very close to rl 19 performance .

Currently reloading my 338 Win Mag with RL19 but hard to find, what would be a good substitute for it? I have H4350 and W760 on the shelf if not these what would be a good powder shooting a Nosler Partition in 210 grain.
IMR 4350 or Reloader 17

If'n I were you I'd try to find IMR 4831 or N550;)

In this order
IMR 4350
Win 760
IMR 4831
Reloader 16

IMR 4350 is my #1 go to powder
If I'm starting a load for someone or myself IMR 4350 is almost always my ground zero.
It works really good in such a wide range of applications.
There are other combos that are faster...others more accurate...
But starting a new load it offers great velocity and respectable accuracy in almost every platform.

Win 760 is another one similar to IMR 4350
It just works well in such a wide range of cartridges.

Anyone who starts loading I'd suggest those two powders first and foremost to have in their inventory.
It will get anyone going with good results in practically anything

Good luck

I guess I would start with H4350 given it is just a little bit faster than RL19. H 4350 also seems to be relatively available, at least in NE Oregon. If you find any Rl 19 please let me know. Good luck.
Welcome aboard.
I agree with Salmonchaser on this...H4350 was my first choice with the .338 Win mag.

H4350 is almost identical burn rate at reloader 19
imr 4350 is faster like reloader 17
newer h4350 also has the extreme tag that controls
temperature burn more effectively

RL19 sits between Staball and IMR 4831.
I don't own a 338, thought maybe I'll post the burn rates here.

Attachments

• Burnrate.jpeg
    Burnrate.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
H4350 is almost identical burn rate at reloader 19
imr 4350 is faster like reloader 17
newer h4350 also has the extreme tag that controls
temperature burn more effectively
RL19 sits between Staball and IMR 4831.
I don't own a 338, thought maybe I'll post the burn rates here.
Well, I have to say "what about the volume difference"! If the chance of using both in the same load that 1 could be a greater amount and cause it unusable due to way over fill? I've never check on this, so don't be too harsh!

Well, I have to say "what about the volume difference"! If the chance of using both in the same load that 1 could be a greater amount and cause it unusable due to way over fill? I've never check on this, so don't be too harsh!
OMG, I'm not being harsh. I just posted a burn chart for you all. If you wish to have it deleted, I'll ask JD to do so. :eek:
I know about powder fill, I like the powder fill level where it barely crunches when fully seated.

OMG, I'm not being harsh. I just posted a burn chart for you all. If you wish to have it deleted, I'll ask JD to do so. :eek:
I know about powder fill, I like the powder fill level where it barely crunches when fully seated.
I'm not stating you're being that way, just wondering how much volume difference there's between the 2. Somewhere I had a volume chart with each powder?

ALSO:

Win staball 6.5

Ramshot hunter-----easy to locate!

ALSO:

Win staball 6.5

Ramshot hunter-----easy to locate!

Funny how that changes due to geographical locations..........what some areas seem to get, others do not. I would say my area is above average on availability on a lot of things........least it seemed that way. Back when nobody had nothing, shops in this area were getting in some powder, bullets, etc.

But Ramshot powders are pretty much MIA at almost all shops here. 1 shop seems to get it in with decent regularity. The others, none.

Back