Ruger #1 envy, itch scratched

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
52ad425c749b53c74ab4071e87481231.jpg

After all the awesome ruger #1s on here lately I couldn’t pass up this rifle when I came across it. A local fellow gun looney who I have traded with many times picked this up and I was able to talk him out of it.

It is a ruger #1 from 1984 originally a 375 H&H that had been rebarreled to 50-140 sharps with a .510 bore. The story as I heard it was that it was built by a local gunsmith who has since passed away. While not quite as pretty as some of your #1s it doesn’t have a bad piece of wood. I would have preferred that it hadn’t been ported but might appreciate it when it comes to shooting.

It came with dies brass and a very heavy ammo can full of 580gr cast bullet. Also a box of 700gr jacketed bullets. I have a limited amount of load data and looking for more if anyone has any.

The 50-140 is a very impressive cartridge. Luckily it can be loaded from mild to wild.

This is a loaded 50-140 next to a 458 Lott and 30/06. Unusual to see the 458 Lott looking so small by comparison!

3b2bd310d4fa3eb251e376216e08e797.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations! Very nice No. 1 in a very cool chambering. That 50-140 round looks like a cigar next to the Lott. What kind of velocities can you expect from the 580 gr hard cast and 700 gr jacketed bullets?

JD338

Wow. Very nice. I'm sure you will indeed appreciate that porting. Getting harder all the time to keep saying no to a couple tropicals I know of, this isn't helping...

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

coop22250":biyhkag6 said:
That is so cool, I think the envy is contagious. I need a vaccine lol

The vaccine is a Ruger No. One!

JD338

JD338":2v203un5 said:
coop22250":2v203un5 said:
That is so cool, I think the envy is contagious. I need a vaccine lol

The vaccine is a Ruger No. One!

JD338

Man, I keep looking for the one I can’t live without myself!

Bear, that rifle is so cool I am over the moon jealous and happy for you buddy! Congrats and please keep us in the loop! That sucker oozes cool!

JD338":3lv43ti0 said:
Congratulations! Very nice No. 1 in a very cool chambering. That 50-140 round looks like a cigar next to the Lott. What kind of velocities can you expect from the 580 gr hard cast and 700 gr jacketed bullets?

JD338
The loaded ammo I got with the rifle is 580gr cast bullets @ 1750fps. Using 5744 powder and a smidge of Dacron filler.

It looks like you can pretty much choose your level of power and recoil being the limiting factor. I’ve seen some of the hotter loads as 700gr @ 2100fps and 500s @ 2300+.

I wish I had more back story on the rifle. The beat up case along with hand made ostrich leather ammo case and crocodile sling lead me to believe that it has seen some use.

I have a leupold 2.5 compact that I’m going to put on top. It should match up well.

Damn, put a carriage under that and you have artillery. Well done.

Congratulations and when you are firing to the southeast let know in advance so I can put on hearing protection. That’s a BIG Cartridge. Have Fun.

Wow! What a big ol' bruiser of a cartridge!

Good looking Number One.

I tried the 2.5x Leupold on my 375 for a while, but found I had to crawl the stock quite a bit to get proper eye relief. That might just be a personal build kind of thing. Ended up using variable power scopes on my Number One rifles for that reason. Fit was better.

Guy

Guy Miner":2c9abzr4 said:
I tried the 2.5x Leupold on my 375 for a while, but found I had to crawl the stock quite a bit to get proper eye relief. That might just be a personal build kind of thing. Ended up using variable power scopes on my Number One rifles for that reason. Fit was better.

Guy

Did you try offset rings? The 2.5 leupold is supposed to have a generous eye relief. Crawling the stock on this monster sounds like a good way to become a pirate!

2.5x Leupold has wonderful eye relief. It's on my Marlin 45/70 now. :)

Never tried the offset rings, just bought a 1.5-5x instead. Works great. :)

Guy

I put together one of the 700gr JSP that came with the rifle. They are pretty impressive slugs.

f0dd81e32ad82ee212f1415c2d9d6c97.jpg

30/06 for scale

That definitely looks massive! It will work on about anything within range.

Oh man, that is a beast of a round. You need to run one of those 700 gr JSP's into some water jugs. I'm guessing 12 jugs would stop one.

JD338

Thebear_78":25j6cxls said:
I put together one of the 700gr JSP that came with the rifle. They are pretty impressive slugs.

f0dd81e32ad82ee212f1415c2d9d6c97.jpg

30/06 for scale

That is really impressive looking. My God that is cool.

That is a beast of a round. The fact that the Ruger number one can go up to 65,000 PSI with no problem has unlimited capabilities for this cartridge. As long as the brass will hold up like a 30-06 brass or a 300 win mag brass holy mother of God

Surprised that it doesn't have the moniker of "Mastadon" or "Mammoth Master" behind the 50-140! LOL

I have a good friend that built a 510 Wells on a Ruger No.3 (based on 460 Wby case).
It is brutal with the 700gr bullets!!! (do not recall the velocity)

Luckily the No.1 is friendlier on the fingers with its different lever!
And the extra weight in the rifle will help too!

You have nice wood on that stock...I'd be very happy with it!

As I recall my .577 Nitro launched 700 grain bullets at 2100 FPS. The recoil out of an 11 pound double was um noticeable shall we say.
Out of a #1 dang.

Back