Ruger #1

Great load. Awesome rifle. RL19 is my go-to powder for my 338, and I would give the 225-250PT a try. I haven't heard of many 338's that don't shoot well with it. Awesome shooting, seems like your there though. Scotty

I have been trying the 225 accubonds in a friends 338 win ss classic with RE 19 & IMR 4350
with no luck. I think the short mag length(cant load over factory length) plus plastic stock has a lot to do with it,but we did get little better groups with the hornady 225"s.He is getting a little
disappointed with all the money he has rapped up in a 3' @ 100 yard gun
D10T

D10T":33go81w2 said:
The #1 did a little better today ,it was a little warmer out plus I tried a rubber
O ring on the forearm screw. Same load of RE 22 as last time
030111172712.jpg

D10T

Try a wedge or a mini aluminum washer between barrel and hangar.

Just slide it in snug or tap on real tight ?
Plus any help on the winchester classic would be a plus :mrgreen:

That is the beauty of it!!!!

The gun will tell you how tight she likes it! Keep on wedging it in- or replace with thicker one- until accuracy rox. Then glue it in there (usually) there is so much tension between barrel and hangar I never had to!

Figure%201.jpg

338 Win

225gr AB
Reloader 19 @ 78.0
Fed 215GM Primer
WW Brass

in my 26" I get 2950 FPS outstanding top Vel load!

POP":1fwaobzy said:

not gonna' lie... done that with a popsicle stick or two in my day. Tuned a 6mm #1b that way... put the forend on... 1/2" gun for pert'near 1000 rounds.

#1s are fun, and we've had are fling... but a bolt gun is just too reliable. Date a #1 in college... but marry a stainless bolt gun.

The #1's are fine looking rifles, and I don't want to discourage anyone here who is a fan. I also know that one rifle isn't a good basis upon which to judge, but....

I bought a lightly used #1B in the mid 1990s in 25-06. Beautiful rifle, and one that I thought would fit perfectly into my antelope aspirations. By that time I had been handloading for 20+ years, and had a small number of accurate bolt rifles. I could shoot and I could load. But, that Ruger 25 wouldn't shoot. Using 100gr Nosler BT bullets, it might print a nice 3/4" 3-shot group at 100 yards, or it might print a 2" group, followed by a 1-1/2" group, and so on - no consistency. If more than 3 shots were fired within a few minutes, you'd get vertical stringing of inches or more.

I tried every forend bedding and tang trick known at that time. Didn't help. I tried a half dozen different bullets in as many different weights. Nothing helped. Then, I slugged the barrel with a lead bullet. The barrel's groove diameter turned out to be .002-.003" larger than a 25-cal bullet (about .259-.260" in diameter). That was the lion's share of the inconsistency.

At that point I thought I'd just have it rebarreled, but then I saw some fired cases roll on my loading bench. Apparently, the sliding block breech wasn't square to the bore, which produced fired cases with out-of-square bases on the fired brass. I sold the rifle soon thereafter.

I'd love to have a good one, but I dunno....

Back