Ruger PC Carbine 9mm

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I have been struggling to get my daughter to step up from rimfire to something bigger. She loves the rimfire pistols and rifles but is very recoil shy.

I originally tried stepping her up to a suppressed 223 ar15. It was heavy and I think the spring/buffer noise was throwing her for a loop.

I also tried to step her up to 9mm pistol. She tried my Glock 17 but was still a little leery of the noise and pop. It requires a more firm grip than the 22 she is used to shooting. I think it will be better once I get a suppressor for it.

After racking my brain for a transitional firearm I came up with the Ruger PC Carbine. Fairly cheap to shoot, minimal recoil, compact size, and ergonomics that closely resemble the 10/22 that she is very familiar with.

72a57a2624572833d0bae227fe7cce13.jpg

She was a little nervous to touch off the first round but after the first shot it was game on.

4b14ed582bf3543260ac619598d90861.jpg

https://www.dropshots.com/video.php?u=h ... 184142.mp4

d3068f154d93ce299ba028841877a752.jpg

I went to the range with 900 rounds of 9mm, Left several hours later with 134 rounds and a very sore thumb. I already ordered a maglula mag loader. That way she can load her own magazines from here out.

Overall impressions of the rifle where very favorable. It shot great, no failures in function. Being able to switch to the Glock style magazines is a huge benefit. I already had several and the magpul Glock mags are cheap and work great. The easily adjustable LOP helped to get it to fit her well. The factory sights are actually really nice and it probably didn’t need the red dot. The red dot makes it almost too easy.

I think this would make a great home defense rifle too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. We looked at a 9mm carbine the other day, Kel-Tech I think? Folds up.

When we stepped up from the .22 it was to a Rossi Model 92 carbine in 38/357. We shoot mostly .38’s in it with a 158SWC and 3.5 grains of Unique. My younger son started shooting it at 9. I had to help him load the magazine as the gate was a little stiff for him. At 11 he now loads it without help and can ring the gong from sitting at 75 most of the time. He rarely wants to shoot anything else.

My dad has a marlin 1894 in 357. Those little lever guns are a lot of fun. It was also pretty effective on whitetails at close range.

Is the video showing alright. I was trying out a new photo hosting sight.

Thebear_78":30fi6lee said:
My dad has a marlin 1894 in 357. Those little lever guns are a lot of fun. It was also pretty effective on whitetails at close range.

Is the video showing alright. I was trying out a new photo hosting sight.

I had to click the link but the vid looks good. iPhone and Tapatalk

Thebear_78":1obqiimb said:
I have been struggling to get my daughter to step up from rimfire to something bigger. She loves the rimfire pistols and rifles but is very recoil shy.

I originally tried stepping her up to a suppressed 223 ar15. It was heavy and I think the spring/buffer noise was throwing her for a loop.

I also tried to step her up to 9mm pistol. She tried my Glock 17 but was still a little leery of the noise and pop. It requires a more firm grip than the 22 she is used to shooting. I think it will be better once I get a suppressor for it.

After racking my brain for a transitional firearm I came up with the Ruger PC Carbine. Fairly cheap to shoot, minimal recoil, compact size, and ergonomics that closely resemble the 10/22 that she is very familiar with.

72a57a2624572833d0bae227fe7cce13.jpg

She was a little nervous to touch off the first round but after the first shot it was game on.

4b14ed582bf3543260ac619598d90861.jpg

https://www.dropshots.com/video.php?u=h ... 184142.mp4

d3068f154d93ce299ba028841877a752.jpg

I went to the range with 900 rounds of 9mm, Left several hours later with 134 rounds and a very sore thumb. I already ordered a maglula mag loader. That way she can load her own magazines from here out.

Overall impressions of the rifle where very favorable. It shot great, no failures in function. Being able to switch to the Glock style magazines is a huge benefit. I already had several and the magpul Glock mags are cheap and work great. The easily adjustable LOP helped to get it to fit her well. The factory sights are actually really nice and it probably didn’t need the red dot. The red dot makes it almost too easy.

I think this would make a great home defense rifle too.

Good job taking your time with her and getting her to make the step up. I would have also recommended a 77/357 Ruger bolt and shooting mild 38’s. But your 9mm carbine is much like the 22 she’s familiar with. A red dot would turn that carbine into a dandy home defense gun. The extra barrel length will help the 9mm some and it shouldn’t over penetrate walls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to see you helping ease into the more powerful guns.

I see too many dads trying to get their kids to shoot full-power hunting rifles, too early.

Guy

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

I had one of those for a while but a buddy that loves his Ruger P95 wanted it really bad. He ended up buying it off me. It shot good and fed everything I tried in it. I put the money into a CZ 529 in 7.62x39 that I put a 1.25-4x Leupold VX-R on. When my girls are old enough to start hunting deer that should make a nice starter rifle. It has enough power with good bullets and a huge field of view with that scope. It can also shoot cheap ammo so they can practice a lot without me spending all my time loading.

I also have a Rossi 357 lever gun they can plink with.

Back