Ruger Redhawk .41 mag

Handloader
May 30, 2009
Looks like I just scored a 5 1/2" stainless.I had one years ago and it was one of the most accurate handguns I ever owned.I sold it after I lost a deer with it. Finally decided it was the bullet I was using and not me or the gun.
I regretted selling it, so now I get the chance to own one again.A friend of mine called and said he needed some money.I love the V notch and gold bead sights on the gun.I still remember the load I used for accuracy. It was a Sierra 210 grain HP in front of 21.3 grains of Win 296. One ragged hole at twenty yards.I use an old Lyman Keith bullet for hunting deer.It kills well.

Very nice, congratulations. Post a picture of that puppy.
Let us know how she shoots too.

JD338

Thanks, I hope it shoots as good as the old one did. 8) I will be very happy,otherwise; it will be for sale. :cry:
I really need another .41 mag like I need a hole in my head. :roll:

So I picked the Redhawk up today. She is a beauty.Looks great for a twenty five year old gun. I got a few loads lying around but I have no clue what they are.Hope to take her out for a test drive soon.It is too hot to enjoy doing much of anything outside now.If this one doesn't shoot I will be shocked,but my poor old eyes just won't see the gold dot sight like I use too. It sux getting old.

So I found an old Hoppes pistol rest that I have and took my Redhawk and S&W 657 out back.At 15 yds the Redhawk shot five shots you could cover with a quarter. The 657 Classic has a Millett red dot on it. It is unreal. One hole.It is the most accurate revolver I own.The .41mag( IMO) has always been in an accuracy class by itself.I don't own a .44 that will shoot that good.
O.K the load is 21.3 grains of Win296,win case, win primer, Sierra or Nosler 210 grain bullet. That is the best load I have found for the .41 mag and jacketed bullets.As soon as I get a new digital camera , I will post some pics so you will know I am not full of B.S. :wink:
I am shooting 29 year old 296.It has been subjected to the heat from hell, and it will still produce one hole groups :!:

Gotta love Winchester powder. I'm really fond of, 231, 748 & 760. I have not used 296 as I never had any issues with H110.

JT.

Nice shooting. You found yourself a keeper, congratulations.

JD338

gunny.gif

My wife has been on my case to buy a new digital camera. Maybe I will sell the Redhawk and fund one. :cry:
Nosler and Sierra need to get on the stick and start making .41 cal bullets again.I cannot find any at all.I am sure they are going full force after the high demand calibers.I finally found my .410 sizing die and top punches.I have three different bullet moulds for the .41mag.With 41 bullets being in short supply,now is a great time to cast some.

I just got some of the Rem bullets.Have loaded them with my favorite loads and will let you know how accurate they are.

I put a Ruger HiViz green front sight on the Redhawk. I like it, at least now I can see the front sight.
I shot some of the Remington 210 JSP bullets today.I got a few good groups, but they don't seem to be as accurate as the Sierra 210JHP.

My first was a Ruger Blackhawk. I really wanted the Redhawk to start out with but couldn't find one anywhere, and was on a waiting list for close to a year or more. Finally saw one at a gun show and traded off the Blackhawk on it. Still regret trading the BH simply due to it being a Flatop 3screw, but it had issues with the cylinder pin and I was tired of screwing with it.

My Redhawk is of the 7 1/2" barrel and shoots awesome. My favorite load uses 20.5gr of 296 under the Remington 200gr SJHP for a velocity of 1300'ish fps. It isn't a barn burner but is plenty accurate for hogs and yotes out past 100yds if I can do my part. The biggest mistake I make is aiming high, every time I do I miss. We shot at some turtles laying on a log against a farside bank in a lake once, I aimed for drop and shot, nothing happened. After the third round my bud tels me I am making a nice group in the mud a foot or so up on the bank. Well that was about where I was holding. Dropped it down on the middle turtle and ruined it's day.

Don't be afraid of those cheap ol Rem bullets, they work well for practice and hunting. My biggest issue with accuracy has been the crimp on the bullets. A little goes a long ways, and too much ruins the groups. This has worked well on several Rugers. Might try paying with it a bit. I use just enough to barely roll the mouth of the case into the cannalure of the bullets. Between the light crimp and the neck tension I have had no issues with bullets slipping on either the 41 or 44 which were both set up this way.

Good luck and enjoy your new aquisition.

My friend who I bought the 5 1/2" Redhawk from ,also has a 7 1/2".He claims that he gets 2" groups at 100 yds using the Nosler 210 bullet and 20 grains of H110.

I just cooked up a bunch of different loads with different bullets.Hope to shoot tomorrow and report my findings.I love the Redhawk , it is a handloaders dream gun.It will take an extensive beating with no problem.

The Nosler manual list 19.5 grains of W296 as the accuracy load. Don't waste you components on that load. 21.3 grains of 296 is far more accurate in three of my guns.

41mag":3ck5swky said:
My biggest issue with accuracy has been the crimp on the bullets. A little goes a long ways, and too much ruins the groups. This has worked well on several Rugers. Might try paying with it a bit. I use just enough to barely roll the mouth of the case into the cannalure of the bullets. Between the light crimp and the neck tension I have had no issues with bullets slipping on either the 41 or 44 which were both set up this way.

Thanks for posting this up. I have been STRUGGLING with my 629 finding a good load with some 300gr jacketed bullets. I backed off on the crimp and my accuracy really improved.

I just turn the seating die down until I feel it roll the case mouth over.I never screw it down hard.

Just got back from my shooting range.I found a few loads that are extremely accurate. 20 grains of Vit N110 and the 210 grain bullet. Recoil is pleasant, very tight consistant grouping.Hornady has the load listed at 1350fps out of a 6" barrel.I WILL work some more with that one.It is a heavly compressed load , but that didn't hurt anything.I also tried my Saeco 220 grain gas checked truncated cone bullet. It is extremely accurate with 21.3 of 296 and 19.1 of 2400.I am very pleased with that particular bullet.The Ruger HiViz green front sight really made the difference as it was cloudy and the sun was dropping.
If you shoot a .41 mag , give these loads a try , I think you will be happy with them.

Hmmm, I have done very limited testing with my 41 mag blackhawk, but I have found that 20g of H-110 with a 210g Rem SP shoots about as good as I can hold a pistol at 25 yards. 6 shots in about a 3" group, 3 were touching!!

I went up to 21.5g but groups got worse as more powder was being used. I have a 6.5" bbl but haven't gotten around to chronographing them just yet. Think I'm going shooting in the morning so I'll get a few over them and let ya know how there doing.

I tried 18 and 21.3 of H 110 . Neither shot very well for me.The Vit N 110 was outstanding.One big five shot hole.I will try the 20 grains of H110.
I am really starting to believe that H110 and 296 are NOT the same powder like some people say.H110 and 296 have more muzzle blast and recoil than 2400 or the other powders that I tried.Right now I am leaning toward the Vit N110 as my new powder for the .41 mag. If it shoots this good with my cast bullets, I will nail it right there.The .41 Redhawk will make a heck of a metallic silhouette revolver.

Back