Safe?

I was gifted a Winchester safe (like what you get at Tractor Supply) with a digital lock, I will say I'm not a fan of the digital but it was a gift from my father so I will not complain just have a few extra batteries on hand

I'm sure it's not as good as a Cannon but I figured some fire protection is better than none and is still going to be enough to deter the average criminal where I live

I'm working on the third edition of our home remodel instead of loading and shooting. Never should have retired. In any event I have two comments on safes. I've seen two residential safes, relatively inexpensive ones that were peeled open with pry bars. I've also seen several attempts made on high end safes that were unsuccessful, including my own. Yeah even two cop families get hit. I would worry more about anti tampering features than fire resistance.
During the aforementioned remodel we had to move the safe from the master to the man cave. The resident IBF, (itty bitty female) and I got it done by ourselves using a device called an air sled. We rented it from Sun Belt rentals. We found one machine to be at max lift capacity, the safe weighed in at 700 pounds. It worked slick, no damage and probably took fifteen minutes to get it moved. This won't work on steps, but I'll rent it next time I need to move any thing heavy across the hardwood floors.
One more thing on burglary, most occur during the day and an awful lot of the suspects know your teenage kids.

Dubyam What I'm saying is, if the budget is only $500-600, there are reasonably good quality options out there which will provide security and good service for a long time.

I bought one of mine used. If you can get around the pain associated with moving it, there can be bargains out there. Mine came from an estate sale.

Liberty Safe for me. All the previous posts regarding safe capacities are spot on. They will hold no where near what they claim. Bolt actions and scopes requiring the most space.

I got a big gun safe from costco for 799.00 and they dropped it off free and left it in the garage. Only problem was a 64 gun safe in garage. I then hired a piano mover and 3 guys got it in the house, up the flight of stairs and in the spare room in 15 min for 300 bucks. Best 300 I ever spent. I would get a bigger safe as your collection will probably get bigger in the future and also I store all important items and documents in mine.

LT

Well after a little looking around and talking to my wife, we are going to start saving up for a better safe than what $500 can buy.

I found the Cannon Scout 48 gun safe and like the looks of it. 60"x40"x25" and weighs 585. Any thoughts on this safe? I like the looks of the 64 gun safe in the same series but I don't know if I can make the corner I need to make in order to get it in the right spot.

wisconsinteacher":7ilsk9i5 said:
Well after a little looking around and talking to my wife, we are going to start saving up for a better safe than what $500 can buy.

I found the Cannon Scout 48 gun safe and like the looks of it. 60"x40"x25" and weighs 585. Any thoughts on this safe? I like the looks of the 64 gun safe in the same series but I don't know if I can make the corner I need to make in order to get it in the right spot.

I believe you will be pleased to spend a little more. Canon is an excellent brand. I am using Champion, more because that is what is available in this area. Champion is a great name, just as is Canon, or Liberty or any of a number of other safes. I do believe you will be pleased to have the security it provides.

DavidReed":1w3ehpte said:
Read through this thread while your saving $$for a safe. This may be the single most informative discussion on the internet regarding safes and it took me nearly two years to research and come to similar conclusions on my own.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_46/40104 ... feGuy.html

And don't ya know it - I bought an Amsec BF without having read the linked thread first. :mrgreen:
I'm glad it confirms my purchase.

What an article and an eye opener. I'm in the market for a safe but I'm going to have to give this expenditure further thought.

FYI, none of this information is new. This is all very similar to what I learned a couple of years ago when investigating safes.

There has been some excellent information on a forum called The High Road by a safe dealer who goes over the various safes and his impression of the good, bad and ugly. I don't usually go to that forum but in my searches it popped up and I spent a fair amount of time reviewing and then corroborating his information.

I read some of the info on AR15 and came to this conclusion. In a hot house fire, most safes on the market that are in the medium price point will be toast. (make sure you have insurance) With an attack on the safe, if someone has the time and tools, they can get into anything.

I guess I need to look at the safe as a place to store guns so that others cannot see what is in there and to keep the low life thief out.

I found a Tractor Supply 50 miles from me. I know they sell the Cannon Patriot series so I am going to keep an eye on their prices along with the Scout series.

wisconsinteacher, My research and talking with firemen who have helped open safes after fires supports your conclusion 100%. The very high dollar safes usually buy you a little more heat resistance. They require more work and time to break into which usually causes the thief to create more noise and spend more time breaking into the safe. This increases the chances of the thief being detected. Is this little bit of extra protection worth the additional cost to you is the question.

The other key, which I mentioned before, is to be sure they are bolted to the floor. If you can't tip the safe over it is far more difficult to get inside of it.

FOTIS":2kefak8b said:
I am up to 2 safes

Me too and they are both stuffed. I'm going to try and keep my gun numbers under my safe limits until we build a new house in the next few years (unless I find a really good deal on one) because I want a gun vault instead. My gun room is pretty stuffed too so making room for another safe would be quite difficult.

I have a Bighorn 40 gun and a National Security 48 gun right now. The National Security is a lot heavier built but has less sheetrock in it. The Bighorn is very thin but has a ton of sheetrock.

Back