Sage Rats on the shoot card.

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
Well we're almost ready for the annual shooting spree. The kids will be shooting their new Ruger American 17HMRs and 10-22s. I'll be shooting my 17Hornet,17HMR and my 35Whelen :shock: . I think I'll bring the .223 as well. I've amassed enough ammo....I think. 800rds of 17Hornet, 2100rds of 17Hmr, 3000rds of 22RF and 400rds of .223. Loading 800rds of 17Hornet on a single stage was interesting. I never smashed my fingers once! I average 500 shots a day with a bolt action. My kids are slower but when they load up the 10-22s the can average 200rds an hour!
I've been doing this for seven years now and the kids have joined me for the last three. I think it is the most shooting fun you can have. Big game hunting has more adrenaline but this sage rat shooting is non stop fun for hours at a time. I enjoy it more than sporting clays, cowboy action, 3-gun, duck hunting and almost everything else except big game and coyote hunting.
I've gone through all the guns checked them for function and cleaned them really well. I'll end up cleaning them each night between shoot days. I don't see much copper fouling but the carbon can get pretty thick.
We're heading over to the Silver/Summer Lake area of Oregon. Lot's of alfalfa and hay pivots over there and if they haven't been plowed in a few years the squirrels can be pretty thick. I have been in fields that when you look across the field it looks like the ground is moving and you think Oh, the winds blowing the grass, but then realize what your seeing is hundreds of rodents moving around. It is what I call a target rich environment.
We'll be shooting 5/12-14 and I'll try and post up some picts when we get back.
Scott

Scott
Sounds like an awesome time.
Have fun and post some pictures.

JD338

That sounds like a ton of fun, Scott. I'm sure it will be great for all of you.

That sounds like a great time with the family and the farmer's a probably very happy to have you help thin them down.............if only just a bit!

Muleman, I went through there on Monday morning, wind was howling but a few were dashing back and forth across the highway. Out toward Christmas Valley also used to be a hot spot, as well as south of Klamath Falls. Good luck, and enjoy the time.

Muleman, I had to pass last weekend but most of my crew headed down in that area. Been doing it long enough I remember when the ranchers use to give us cartridges. In any event the report was epic, hadn't been that good in years.
You are in for a good time. They also found some jacks, but didn't really spend any time looking.

Back