Sako High Power Mauser

Tnhunter

Beginner
Jul 4, 2012
I actually already have one of these fairly rare Sakos, from the 1950s. I decided I might treat myself to a new toy and as I began looking for anything that might suit my fancy, I sure enough came across another very similar to the one I had and figured they might make a nice set. A couple of oddities with the one for sale, however. The butt pad seems to be odd and not original, but it looks like the LOP was not compromised. Also, all other Sako Mausers I've seen (including mine) have express type rifle sights, a two leaf folding rear and a ramp front with a hood.

This rifle has no sights installed, nor any provisions (such as a filled dovetail rear or filled holes at muzzle). The barrel is original, I'm sure, as all makings match up perfectly with my experience with these rifles. However, especially due to age of the rifle 50+ yrs old, I doubt very much it would have been produced with a "slick" barrel. I am concerned the sights may have been removed, dovetail & holes filled and the rifle custom reblued (bluing is in superior shape for a rifle of this age). One last oddity is that the bolt shroud and bolt are left in the white ala the Browning Safari rifles which Sako produced for Browning, after ceasing production of these Sako Mausers in '57 or '58. The serial numbers match, receiver to bolt and that # also matches very closely to the one I own now.

I would appreciate anyone who might know something about these old Sako Mausers to please comment on your opinion as to exactly how "original" this speciman may or may not be
Thanks in advance, Ed

http://www.gunsamerica.com/957121051/Gu ... inued.htm#

Attachments

• pop_wm_4196438.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,944
  • pop_wm_4196433.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,944
  • pop_wm_4196458.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,944
Couldn't tell you a thing about it Ed, but it looks very clean. What is it chambered in?

Admittedly, different, but a very handsome rifle, nevertheless. I am intrigued by what you discover.

SJB358":2a53zp0r said:
Couldn't tell you a thing about it Ed, but it looks very clean. What is it chambered in?

It's a .270 Win, same as mine. One of the smoothest actions I've ever worked on mine made in '57 or '58.

For some reason, I can't attach a picture of it.

It looks like the European stocked Browning High Power (aka Safari). The safety, bolt shroud design, swept back bolt handle and lack of scope mounting dovetails on the action makes me believe that it is a Browning made rifle. Browning started producing the High Power in 1952. The US version had a Urethane, high gloss finish, the European model had a matte finish stock wih a double line outline of the checkering which is identical to your photos. Even the checkering pattern and recoil bolt through the stock appears to me to be Browning vintage. Without seeing the proof marks and barrel markings, it is hard to know from just a picture what you have.

Oldtrader3":cb5nczr3 said:
It looks like the European stocked Browning High Power (aka Safari). The safety, bolt shroud design, swept back bolt handle and lack of scope mounting dovetails on the action makes me believe that it is a Browning made rifle. Browning started producing the High Power in 1952. The US version had a Urethane, high gloss finish, the European model had a matte finish stock wih a double line outline of the checkering which is identical to your photos. Even the checkering pattern and recoil bolt through the stock appears to me to be Browning vintage. Without seeing the proof marks and barrel markings, it is hard to know from just a picture what you have.

In the supplied pictures (in the ad), it shows the proper markings, including Sako and made in Finland, just as my Sako Mauser has. The Browning Safari Bolt you refer to was actually partially produced by Sako for Browning (S/A cartridges) using FN/Mauser clone Sako stamped barreled actions from the late '50s through the early '70s. The Sako Mausers were made earlier, early '50s through '57 or '58 and the Brownings (by Sako) after that. The guns are nearly exactly the same and differed only in minor details such as barrel length (22" for Brownings & 24" for Sakos, non magnum). The later Brownings did have the bolt in the white as this gun does as well.

This is the Sako Mauser I own and it clearly shows, as you mentioned, it's nearly identical lines to the later Browning Safaris (save for the white bolt handle & shroud the Brownings had)

Attachments

• user656_pic1395_1332519120.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,919
  • user656_pic1397_1332519120.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,919
  • user656_pic1399_1332519496.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,919
  • user656_pic1396_1332519120.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,919
The only way to resolve this issue is by proof marks. I have owned Sako, Browning, Husqvarna, Mark X, Beretta Mato, H&R Supreme, Santa Barbara and even Oberndorf commercial Mauser rifles since the early 1960's. Herstal Belgium has been making commercial Mauser actions at Herstal Belgium since late 1951. The Browning High Power model 300 rifles were made since 1960. All of the High Power Brownings, except short action calibers were made by Herstal. The short action calibers for the most part (.308, .243, .222, .222M et cetera) were made by Sako, at least for the High Power series rifles. The Model 400 FN Deluxe action with the white bolt and shroud were made after 1964.

The Browning High Powers that I have owned or do now own, plus friends and family rifles were are all proofed Belgium and stamped FN. Without seeing the proofs marks on your action, I do not know where it was made but Sako made Mauser actions as well. I even had a Beretta Mato Mauser .30-06 made by Sako. Made in Finland only means total content, not neccessarily where the action was made. The proof marks are the arbiter of action plant location. That is all that I can go by. Even Husqvarna Mauser actions were made mostly in Herstal (Model 3000 and on) through the 1960's.

Oldtrader3":3unnmeoa said:
The only way to resolve this issue is by proof marks. I have owned Sako, Browning, Husqvarna, Mark X, Beretta Mato, H&R Supreme, Santa Barbara and even Oberndorf commercial Mauser rifles since the early 1960's. Herstal Belgium has been making commercial Mauser actions at Herstal Belgium since late 1951. The Browning High Power model 300 rifles were made since 1960. All of the High Power Brownings, except short action calibers were made by Herstal. The short action calibers for the most part (.308, .243, .222, .222M et cetera) were made by Sako, at least for the High Power series rifles. The Model 400 FN Deluxe action with the white bolt and shroud were made after 1964.

The Browning High Powers that I have owned or do now own, plus friends and family rifles were are all proofed Belgium and stamped FN. Without seeing the proofs marks on your action, I do not know where it was made but Sako made Mauser actions as well. I even had a Beretta Mato Mauser .30-06 made by Sako. Made in Finland only means total content, not neccessarily where the action was made. The proof marks are the arbiter of action plant location. That is all that I can go by. Even Husqvarna Mauser actions were made mostly in Herstal (Model 3000 and on) through the 1960's.

Well, I've read your post about 4 times and not sure what your problem(?) is with my posting. Browning labeled rifles were made by Sako, as I mentioned, in S/A rifles for a time. This rifle, (BOTH, actually) are the much more rare Sako FN actions produced by Sako from about 1952 until 1958. The Browning High Power Safari rifle was NOT produced before 1959. Because you've never seen one, nor owned one does not mean they do not exist. I suggest you look more closely at the pics already provided and then take a chill pill. Sako did not make any L/A until 1961, the ones made previous were these rifles, built on FN actions. And, BTW the proof marks are shown!

This, earlier statement by you is totally false, by the way:

"Browning started producing the High Power in 1952."

-I told you that I am not trying to make any issues from whole cloth. FN started in 1948 making FN mauser commercial actions.
-The FN Mauser action was commercialized by FN in 1948 and the Magnum Length long action in 1953.
-The Model 300 FN High Power rifle was released in 1960, with the Model 400 FN High Power rifle with white bolt and cocking piece was marketed and delivered starting in 1964. I am citing souces who are experts in this field, as well as my experience which spans over 50 years.
-Sako did not make any Mauser actions for Browning only short actions for the .308 down to the .222. These were called and marketed as Browning High Power rifles and the actions were made by Sako, all of them. The High Power long actions were made by FN Herstal!
-Matt Eastman: "Browning, Sporting Arms of Distinction" and "Bolt Action Rifles": Frank de Haas, both state the Browning high Power start production and shipping as as "High Powers" in 1959! I stand by these sources.
-You can tell me Sir, that I am mistaken but until the cows come home, I owned these rifle during these years and I stand by my reference books and my experience.

Sako never ever made a Mauser rifle for FN Herstal. FN-Herstal used Sako short actions for short calibers until 1976. This does not change to suit someones's will to have it be so! That is all that I am saying. Look at the proof marks and the myteries will disapate before your eyes! This is a waste of time and energy for me in stating what is the obvious, is documented and is irrefutable. Plus I have owned Sakos since 1972 and Mausers since high school in the 1950's so I have not just fallen of the back of the turnip truck yesterday.

Tnhunter":ee6a2zub said:
SJB358":ee6a2zub said:

It's a .270 Win, same as mine. One of the smoothest actions I've ever worked on mine made in '57 or '58.

For some reason, I can't attach a picture of it.

Ed, how do they shoot? Typical Sako rifles that drive tacks?

Back