Sako TRG-42 300 Norma Magnum

Thanks Guys, every time I go up there I ask myself why do I attempt this shot when I know how difficult it is to figure out what the wind is doing? You'd think I'd head up there real early or late in the day, instead I was there at 9:45 AM. I took the first shot with zero windage just to see were it would land, as it turned out the elevation was close to the Shooter App @ 9.8 Mils and from what I saw looked like 1/2 Mil to the right. I spaced out about the spin drift, and didn't apply for the Coriolis effect when in the past I have (anything under 1000 yards that's a waste of time and not needed what so ever).

So I added the 1/2 Mil I saw from the first round miss and added 0.2-0.3 left for the spin drift which got me really close. So I knew to move fast before something changed, but these suppressors tend to throw off a lot of heat, which mean mirage, or in my case a white lower left corner, so I had to slow it down. A 15x scope isn't much and anything more would only make matters worse with the mirage.

I didn't have a lot of time either so that didn't help the situation at all.

You can see the 4 bullet holes though the Hardox Steel I shot @ 445 yards the other day. The paint missing shows the hit at the 5 O'clock position. You can see two hits in the dirt right below the hit at 5 O'clock.

Ok, you'd think you could see that hit but with a 15x scope that's just not possible? Actually I thought I saw a hit before that one in the center, yet I didn't hit it at all until the lower right hit, which I could hear the hit and saw it move. That was shot #6. The four I had left were all really close but as they close..... but as the say "close but no cigar". I also forgot to check if the can got loose, which it did near the last few shots which is a "no-no". I haven't put Tread Locker on the break yet which I'll have to do sooner rather then later, but the suppressor can still come loose during firing that should be check often.

Attachments

• IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,779
  • IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,779
I went out to test the load again but from a much shorter distance, 537 yards, prone up hill shot at the steel on the mountain side. 537 is a cake walk in a lot of ways, the first shot was at 12 O'clock slightly high so I held off near the bottom of the steel but the wind had changed and I had no wind call in the scope.

Not bad, the first round almost made it through the steel, and always counts the most. One thing I noticed is these bullets are were no longer punching through the HardOx steel at that distance, but boy, it sure does rings back rather loud compared to the smaller 6.5's.

I just measured my two finger spread, rough estimate is 2" on the last two shots.... So-So for .373" MOA.

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    715 KB · Views: 2,773
Back