Santa was good to me!

And I thought that I was the only one who receives reloading components for Christmas. Funny how my wife knows exactly which components I need. And the new Hornady manual was thoughtful too.

A very thoughtful wife you have there. And yes they do keep a close eye on what we do and know more then we sometimes give them credit for. :grin:

Charlie-NY":1ynr16mh said:
Funny how my wife knows exactly which components I need.

truck driver":1ynr16mh said:
And yes they do keep a close eye on what we do and know more then we sometimes give them credit for. :grin:

Of course, an e-mail with links right to the product page on MidwayUSA's website helps a lot too. :wink:

Well done Dan. You are going to like the 458 300 gr BST.
Accurate and deadly on deer.

JD338

Combinations of bullets and powder ready to go. :grin:

DSCN0025.JPG

When you're able to get to the range, you'll be set for a day's work. Those are sure good looking cartridges.

I was able to shoot the 450 Marlin yesterday at my "range". Since my last chance to do any load development I had acquired some Reloder 7 and some Nosler 300 gr. .458 BST bullets - and the camera to take these photos. :grin:

I shot three combinations of bullets and powder:

Reloder 7 with 350 gr. Hornady Interlock FP
Reloder 7 with 300 gr. Nosler BST
H-4198 with 300 gr. Nosler BST

In general, the velocities I measured with the Reloder 7 loads were considerably lower than Quick load Projections. As I result, I don't think I reached any accuracy nodes with that powder. However, I can now project the powder charges needed to get to an accuracy node velocity. See the velocity curves at the end.

I think I did reach a accuracy node 6 (1.308 ms with a 24" barrel) with the H-4198 and the Nosler 300 gr. BST bullet. This is the third target. You can the last three charges of 50.0 gr. to 51.0 gr. of H-4198 (velocities from 2185 fps to 2218 fps) formed one small .6" group. This is my trophy group of the day even though it was with three different charges.

During my next reloading session I will load up some 300 gr. Nosler BST bullets over 50.5 gr. of H-4198 and see what kind of group I can get and do some water jug testing.

PS I have Rol_P has a witness to the .6" group at 100 yards.

PPS My shoulder is sore this morning. (probably more from shooting Roland's 30-06.... LOL)

350 FP w RL-7.JPG

300 NBST w RL-7.JPG

300 NBST w H-4198.JPG

Marlin 450 Velocities vs Powder Charges 001.jpg

First "Thank You" to Dan for posting our target with my Remington 700CDL from yesterday. I have terrible computer skills.

It was interesting and educational to watch Dan firing his 450 Marlin, which I nicknamed "THE BIG BEAST" :grin: :grin: No deer within Dan's field of fire will have a snowball's chance..... Well done Dan..

Back