Sav. Precision Hunter or Wea. SUB MOA TR

nomosendero

Handloader
Apr 13, 2006
Sadly, it appears I need to get some quick cash to help a friend with a bum deal. I will be selling my M700VS set-up in 308. :(
I will replace, hopefully in 6 mo. or so with another 308. I would like a Rem 5R, but I don't want to spend that much. It appears for the price & specs (twist, 20 or 22" tube etc) & to be in the price range that the VS used to be I will go with the Sav. Pre. Hunter or the new Wea. Sub MOA TR in 308.
Does anyone have experience with either rifle?

Go with the Savage. You will be alot happier. They are just as accurate as the Sub-MOA vangaurds, and IMO are a better quality rifle.

The Vanguard or the Savage are great rifles and good buys. 300wm has a Vanguard 338Win Mag shooting 600yds targets and it is very impressive. Now that said, he put it in a B&C Medalist stock and had a muzzle brake put on it and changed the trigger. You talk about a good looking rifle and can it ever shoot, but he also is a very fine marksman indeed.

Now that said, I would feel comfortable with either rifle.

Thanks for the comments. My little crisis is passed & I sold my M700VS &
raised enough funds to pay the retainer, so now I am going to start research on a good 308 in this price range. I plan to buy around Nov.
The Wea. SUBMOA TR is $100.00 more than the PC & I want a detach. mag & large bolt handle. This would raise it a good deal more. I can't find all of the features of the Sav. at close to the price point & with the Accustock, Accutrigger, & above features, it's looking good.

Personally I like the Savage Weather Warrior with the Accu-stock and Accu-Trigger with the aluminum bedding and free floated barrel like in the 116 FHSS. It think one gets more for his money and they do shoot well.

They are both good rifles for the money. If you are torn between the two I would give the american manufatured rifle the nod. Especially in these economic times. I have been making a concerted effort lately to buy american when possible and that goes double when it comes to firearms since the american manufactures have a vested interest in protecting 2nd ammendment rights.

I'm confused here guys. Savage Arms, Westfield, Ma. Weatherby, Inc., Paso Robles, Ca. Which one of these two are not american companies and do not support the 2nd amendment? Just curious :grin: :grin:

I have one poor Weatherby Vanguard SUB MOA in .270wsm sitting amoung all the Remingtons in my safe. Sportsmans had it on sale for $550-ish.
I'm sure the non-american reference is point towards that Vanguard Action as they are made in Japan??

FWIW - It's a darn good shooting rifle !

I have had three rifles through the years that were out of the box rifles, that I would not touch or do anything to: Ruger Hawkeye 358 shot a group once with it that measured .065", a Savage 116 7mmSTW shot a group once with it that measured .095", a Mark V 30-06 that shot once a group with it that measured 1.095" and all three of these rifle shot .468" or better consistently and that is with hunting bullets not match.

I have one other rifle out of the box that I think will be but need to start load work for it soon to see it it falls into this class.

I have owned quit a few that were consistently 3/4" and under with hunting loads. A two Remingtons, two Ruger MK II's and three Savages with two Vanguards and a couple of Mark V's, two Sako's and one Tikka. There are a lot of good rifles out there and if one marries the right load with them, they will shoot very good.

That's a nice one nomo. I like the 1 : 10 twist rate on it. You can shoot the heavies in that 308..... :grin:

GB300wm":zn9tvf98 said:
I'm confused here guys. Savage Arms, Westfield, Ma. Weatherby, Inc., Paso Robles, Ca. Which one of these two are not american companies and do not support the 2nd amendment? Just curious :grin: :grin:

My understanding is that most Weatherby rifles are not made in the USA. Most are made in Japan I believe. That is at least according to Petersons Rifle Shooter magazine and the fact that my neighbors new Weatherby is made in Japan. I believe Weatherby has outsourced its manufacturing for many years now.

3006savage":3d8cfgbj said:
GB300wm":3d8cfgbj said:

My understanding is that most Weatherby rifles are not made in the USA. Most are made in Japan I believe. That is at least according to Petersons Rifle Shooter magazine and the fact that my neighbors new Weatherby is made in Japan. I believe Weatherby has outsourced its manufacturing for many years now.

Only the Vanguard receiver is made in Japan. All Mark V's are made in the USA.

bullet":f12uw07k said:
3006savage":f12uw07k said:
GB300wm":f12uw07k said:

Only the Vanguard receiver is made in Japan. All Mark V's are made in the USA.

That is correct. I mentioned buy American to the poster because he only mentioned purchasing the Japanese made Vanguard TR rifle.

Only the reciever is made in Japan. The rifle is barreled, triggered and stocked here. The bolt work is done here too by Weatherby. They do differ from a howa if you compare the two. Weatherby has a different bolt shroud and the reciever is rounded more. The vanguard has the 3 gas ports in the bolt also. The reciever is built by Howa to Weatherby specs. The rifle is made here. :grin: :grin:

Back