Savage 7mm WSM

TScottW99

Handloader
Sep 14, 2007
Was wondering if anyone has experience with the Savage line rifles in 7mm WSM. Especially the 160 grain bullets. The 7mm is the only WSM that has caught my eye but I would like to know that it could handle the 160 grain bullets. I have heard that the WSMs like the lighter weight bullets.

The twist of 1-10" in Savages 7mm WSM should do fine with regular 160 gr 7mm bullets. I am not sure about all copper ones however if there are any that long made from just copper.

Here is some twist data from the Savage site.

308 Win, 7mm WSM, 300 WSM(1 in 10")
270 WSM (1 in 11")

http://www.savagearms.com/16fhss.htm

I wonder why Savage has the 7mm WSM and 270 WSM twists a little on the slow side?

TScottW99":3tzstj8f said:
Was wondering if anyone has experience with the Savage line rifles in 7mm WSM. Especially the 160 grain bullets. The 7mm is the only WSM that has caught my eye but I would like to know that it could handle the 160 grain bullets. I have heard that the WSMs like the lighter weight bullets.
........................I don`t have the 7 WSM, but do have a 300 WSM.

In the dept of bullet weights and given the same barrel length, the 300 WSM for example as compared to the 300 Win., does lose some velocity with bullets heavier than 180 gr.

When I look in my Sierra manual, the 7 WSM moves a 160 gr. @ 3000 fps. from the muzzle using a 24" barrel. The 7 Rem Mag moves the 160 gr. @ 3100 fps. using a 26" barrel.

As far as liking or disliking a particular bullet weight, depends more on the individual rifle than anything else.

In my opinion, I see no reason why a 7 WSM couldn`t do well with a 160 grainer or even the 175 grainer.

The 140 AB's around 3300 would be a nice flat shooting load. But if I ever expected to use the rifle for elk of moose, I'd start with the 160gr AB, and try to get 3000+.

Thanks guys. I'm thinking Savage is planning on dropping the 7wsm. Just a guess as to some of the prices I have been seeing.

I would use this rifle for field hunting Whitetails at home so the 140s would be great for that. However if I ever get the chance to go out west I would want to be able to shoot the 160s.

I shot 140's at 3350 and 160's at 3100 from a winchester shadow. Very accurate and faster then my 7 RM by 100fps with every bullet weight...

I purchased a savage model 11fl for brush hunting in 7 wsm and couldn't be happier. great ballistics and light enough to pack all day.

S POP did you get rid if them? They seem IMO to be great all around cartridge.

I got rid of mine because I use my rem 700 7 RM A LOT more...Its set up to shoot long range which is what I'm geared for...

My 7 WSM was a cheap winchester shadow which is not geared for long range. It shot great at 100 yards, but didn't get around to testing it much at LR. It was going to be a truck gun for coyotes and a back up rifle was all. However I finally decided to get rid of it because I didn't really need it. I mainly bought it because I got the rifle and dies/bullets for $150, couldn't pass that up...

Back