Savage 99 308 to 358 rebore

TB, you can clean that trigger up in the 99 by polishing the surfaces with the rubber abrasive bits in a drimell tool. I should have taken pics when I still owned mine but hinds site is always 20-20. :roll:

Bear - is it already drilled & tapped for scope bases? Some 99's were.

I'd pop a little 2.5x Leupold on there in about a half a heartbeat and hunt happily with that beast, even if it never produced lower than 1.5" groups at 100 yards. That's plenty good enough for most hunting.

What a great rifle. The cartridge seems a perfect match for it!

Guy

It was factory D/T for scope mounts, the lyman peep is occupying the rear set of holes at this time and front are plugged.

I was thinking either a 2.5x or 1-4 would be pretty slick on top with nice low rings but worried it might make loading tough.

It's not going to be a quarter mile performer no matter what I do to it but even with 2-2.25 groups with the peep it should be fine for close range hunting, optics would probably get it out to 250-300 yards.

Agree - and I think the real benefit of one of those quality, low powered scopes would be enhanced low-light performance vs the sights.

The little 2.5x Leupold on my .30-30 is surprisingly bright, and the 1.5-4x Leupold on my .375 Number One is very bright!

Especially when paired with the right reticle like a german #4 or my favorite close range reticle the german #1 post.

I have run both Tac and H4895 with 225gr Sierra, Partition, and Hawk RT/.030" jacketed. Took a small 8-point with the Hawk which with the .030" jacket is auh some on deer. The Speer 220gr could be my go to bullet for deer at 2450fps.

I am mixed on the 200gr horady spire point took two buck but not the performance I would like in the 358win I actual think the 200CLRN in the 35rem out performs it. Hard to judge since every buck acts different after a hit.

Thebear_78 Especially when paired with the right reticle like a german #4 or my favorite close range reticle the german #1 post.

Like the way you think Thebear_78. I have a leupold 2-7 with german post #2 on my whelen. its my favorite reticle. Wish Premier Reticle still did work on Leupolds, I would have a couple more converted to that reticle. Or if someone would make scopes with that reticle I would buy them.

FOTIS":jpn1j5v1 said:
tjen":jpn1j5v1 said:
The Speer 220gr could be my go to bullet for deer at 2450fps.

Your load?

I don't know what his is, but W748, WW cases and CCIBR2's will get you there real easy Fotis. Plus it works real nice in my 358 Win.

I got a 2.5x luepold with standard duplex about a month ago and finally get the base and rings today. That small scope is about right proportionally to the savage 99. Looking forward to seeing how it does with optics.

fca95354f96fb63186cd63b6312876f3.jpg

Just be aware that the Model 99 Savage is not a Browning BLR. My Rem 722 .300 Savage would not load to the same levels as my Ruger No. one in .308, despite very close chamber to bore ratios. Even in bolt gun the .300 Savage would not shoot with .308 velocities, despite very close chamber capacities with LC, .308 cases against Federal .300 Savage cases for the Rem bolt action. The .300 Savage loads would show excess pressure at nearly a grain less IMR 4064 than the .308.

I'm bringing this thread back to life. Have been pondering the exact same conversion (.308 to .358 in the Savage 99) and finally found the donor rifle I've been looking for. With 2 hunting seasons under your belt, what are your thoughts on the rifle you worked over, and what have been your favorite loads? (The donor rifle I found is actually quite a bit nicer that what I was searching for, but I've already got a 99 in the gun safe chambered in .308, so there's not much reason for me to stay with the .308...) Thoughts?

A buddy of mine was quite smitten with it and talked me out of it. He mostly loads it with 200gr SP @ 2450 and uses a set of peeps. It is his camp/berry picking rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been eying a 338 federal on a savage 99 here lately. Might have another of these soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're pretty hard not to like. I grew up carrying and hunting with one (another 308.) After owning and hunting with a variety of different rifles over the years, I haven't found any that I enjoy as much, so decided I need another one since my first one has been claimed by my daughter. Will tailor this one to fit me a bit better this summer (add to the length of pull with a recoil pad, raise the comb to work better with a scope, ...) but will probably leave it as a .308 for this fall and then tinker more with it this winter. I'm kind of having fun pondering scopes for it. There's a lot of cool stuff out there in the 1-4, 1-5, and 1-6 ranges now -- haven't shopped for that size scope in a long time.

Back