Savage 99 in 300 savage.

tjRoberts

Beginner
Dec 3, 2007
Bought myself a cool old savage 99.
I guess its an EG model. 24 inch barrel schnaubel forend, and a very cool old Redfield peep sight.
I bought 2 boxes of winchester 150 grain Power points to try in her, but I seldom shoot factory ammo as I just want the brass.
With the peep sight , at least for awhile , I plan to limit my shots to 150 yards, and indeed that might be optimistic till I see what I can do.
I have a box each of 150 grain sierra and speer and 1 box of 170 grain hornady flat point 30/30 bullets.
I think they would be dandy for getting started.
I think driven to speeds in the 2500 FPS ball park they should give good game performance, especially the 170 grain hornady.
Anybody tried loading these bullets up a little over the intended velocity ? if so how did they do ?
thanks...tj3006

tjRoberts,

I have been a Savage99 fan since I got my first one in 1966. Both of the ones I have are chambered for the .358 Win.

I was talking to a gun dealer here who has a rifle like yours for sale. He said that five years ago there were a half dozen of them in the rack and now the demand for them is high.

The one he has is priced at $850!

There is a Savage99 section at:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... /40/page/1

I developed a load for my Model 99 using Hornady 130 grain SP pellets. I have a modern scope on my Model 99 where I replaced the old 2 1/2 power weaver scope that came with it. The gun was already drilled for a scope so I went ahead and had the holes redrilled and put a modern scope on it. I get sub MOA three shot groups with a chronographed muzzle velocity of 2780 fps. It would be an excellent deer rifle except that where I hunt deer is in the California Condor range where non-lead bullets are required.

Try the 125 Nosler ballistic tip and work up from 42 to 43.8 grs IMR 4895 for deer hunting. I use this bullet in my 30X47 HBR which is a 300 Savage case with the shoulder pushed back 10 thousands and 42 grs IMR 4895 is all I can get into the case and seat the bullet. I get 2850 fps and bug hole groups at 100 yards. I also use this bullet in my 308 at 3050 fps. This bullet is a real deer killer. I have killed around 20 deer with this bullet in my rifles and I have never had a deer take a step after taking a front shoulder shot. I loaded up a box for a friend for his 308 and after he sighted in his rifle he had 15 rounds left. After he killed two deer with this bullet he came to me with two boxes of cases and said "I have to have more of these bullets they kill deer like lightening struck them". Give them a try.

thanks for the posts.
1shot, I like your Idea , if I was planning to scope my rifle.
But with the peep, i am prety much interested in game performance only.
Of course it needs to be acurate to a point but if I can shoot even a 3 inch group at 100 yards I will be tickeld.
But with practice I might just suprise my self.
Its a good round for practice as I can shoot it prety cheaply using most any large rifle primer and powder charges in the 40 grain range.
But thanks for your help, i would like to find another 99 with a scope !
...tj3006

Back