Scope for a pellet rifle

257 Ackley

Handloader
Nov 25, 2008
I have a RWS break-barrel that needs a new scope. This is the type that has the large spring that is cocked when the barrel is opened. What do others here use for a scope? What trouble if any have you had with the vibrations from a pellet rifle? I want to include red-dot and other non-traditional scopes in the conversation.

Morning Joel

Sounds like we got the same packaged RWS 34. Good topic of discussion as I am looking to replace mine. Mine came with a "high quality, hard anodized, large objective, 4X, gotta be a Ziess or Schmidt & Bender, eh?? Since, its marked RWS & both from Germany.. :roll:

All I know is something I read by Leupold some time back that we need to be careful because of the negative recoil impulse an air rifle goes thru, one needs to make sure that scope specifically designed for air rifles is used or we'll shake the guts apart. I actually got an serious air rifle book downstairs I should go read quick Mine still works fine, but max range usage for me is only 21 yards. Dang near grabbed it this morning.. Would have been a great start to a day... Would have been a Fffppttt Flop or maybe a Plap Flop?

Be nice to see if there are any other Airheads out there besides us? :mrgreen:

Rod

Leupold 3x9 efr. That is what I put on mine.

Forget the cheapos. The scope will take more poinding than if it were on a 375 Holly. The recoil is "backwards" on a spring gun.

FOTIS":qjoar9v5 said:
Leupold 3x9 efr. That is what I put on mine.

Forget the cheapos. The scope will take more poinding than if it were on a 375 Holly. The recoil is "backwards" on a spring gun.

Yep. Air guns will ruin scopes. Get purpose-made scopes, and even so, they'll eventually bite it (at least, the cheaper airgun scopes I've had in the past have). Usually they experience a broken reticle, or at least that's been what I've seen.

Does the same thing happen with the non-traditional types of scopes out there (red dots, etc...)?

My recommendation?

If you find something you like or can afford call the company and speak to them. Get a name and department they work for, for a possible return in the future..

257 Ackley":3ovpc1vr said:
thanks for the responses...I need to thin some wabbits in the back yard!!

Joel, Your 338-06 is probably enough wabbit gun, as long as you don't take hard quartering shots or rear end shots. :mrgreen:

Scotty -
I probably should just borrow the 300 RUM from Brian or get your 338 Mag to make sure I these tough bunnies we have :mrgreen:.

257 Ackley":2mn5vds0 said:
Scotty -
I probably should just borrow the 300 RUM from Brian or get your 338 Mag to make sure I these tough bunnies we have :mrgreen:.

Anything for you. I will load up some 275's for them dangerous rabbits. I am pretty sure you would have them all covered! Scotty

257 Ackley":17alm9yd said:
Scotty -

You can borrow the 300RUM if you think it's enough rifle for the killer rabbits. Don't for get my 45-70 for the really big ones.

Get the Leupold EFR for your air gun and don't like back. They are made to take the recoil of air guns but you can use them on centerfire rifles also. I have the VX-III EFR 6.5-20x40mm on the 243AI.

Joel

Fotis ain't a kidding. This may be the one and only thing I ever was able to pull over on my parents. My Grandma lived out of town a ways and had issues with ground squirles and what we call whistle pigs around these here parts :wink:
Growing up I obviously started with the red ryder then to the pump benjamin pellet gun. They never would let me have a .22 due to there was a house here and there, pluse the road came right by her property.
Early teen years I asked for a new "pellet gun" :grin: When they saw the price it was a definate no ! save and buy your own....

Well - :grin: a few months later the order was place and a nice new Beeman R1 was delivered. One of my proudest moments......
I can't remember for positive, but think it was the first onesView attachment DSCN1470.JPG over 1000fps. Beeman is a fantastic company as they replaced "THREE" stocks on that rifle for me due to the recoil breaking the front area. One 4X weaver also fell - I soon purchased a Beeman 2X7 scope and there wasn't a safe squirel on that entire acre.

I still have it in my safe - haven't shot it for years, but no intentions what so ever to part with it.View attachment DSCN1469.JPG

Very cool rifle Mark. I had a Benjamin 22 caliber (the beginning of my liking for big bores, everyone else shot 177's!). I shot just about everything that flew or climbed trees with that rifle. Scotty

Well, the old 760 (circa 1974 or so) does not have the compound recoil you are talking about but for all intents and purposes it has terminated the D-4 weaver you see in the picture. It still holds a zero but there is no longer elevation adjustment. Buy a scope intended for the purpose. I would not trade either of these for anything. Tree rats were big game when I was youg.

Cross08.jpg

The attack bunnies here in the big city Mn arent quite as tough but the ones you are talking about but they are weird! :shock: That is a "horn" growing out the back of his head. Dropped this one at 25 ft. Just before he leaped...!

SDC12017.jpg

Back