Scope for a practice rifle

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Gents,

I'm waiting on a 6 BR, really just waiting on a stock now. I have an action (Stiller Predator short action), barrel (Brux #3), trigger (Jewell), and PTG trigger guard (ADL style).

I have a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 sitting around here also. I was thinking of putting it on the 6 BR, but I wanted your opinions. The purpose of this rifle is to be a practice/range rifle. As in, it will be shot a bunch, but probably never at a big game animal--that's what my 30-06 is for. I would consider yote or smaller varmint, though.

Should I use the 3.5-10x40?

Anyone ever use a Leupold FX-3 12x40 AO target scope?

v/r
Joel

Joel, I own several 3.5-10x44 (or whatever) objectives. Almost all of my hunting rifles have 3.5-10 scopes on them. As a practice scope for me, this would be perfect and is a very practical hunting size. I used that format and magnification of Leupold for years as my main mountain hunting scope in Utah and Wyoming.

The 12x40 AO Leupold used to be one of the most common target scopes for up to 600 yards. Some shooters even have used them as bench rest scopes back awhile ago. Too much mirage in the summer with anything bigger.

Agree - I put a 3.5-10x on my son's 6mm Remington some years ago and he loves it! Clear image, plenty of magnification for target or varmint shooting, and he just dials it down to 3.5x for most of his mule deer hunting with that rifle.

Also, yes, I do have a 12x Leupold target scope. I used it extensively for 600 yard prone matches and it worked out very well. The fellow I bought it from used it for 600 - 1,000 yard prone competition and was quite happy with it. I caught him as he was getting out of competition and selling rifles, scopes and things.

These days I use that 12x on my .204 Ruger as a varmint scope. Works GREAT in that role too.

Regards, Guy

Back