Scope for the 358Win

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Ok, I have a new in the box never mounted Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 coming and it will be mounted on my 358Win. My grandson gets the new FF2 3-9x40mm on his 22-250. Here is the scope I have coming.

435753.jpg

Good luck with that. I prefer scopes with a larger objective.

I have 2-7's and 4X's on my .358 Wins.

Bullet,

It'll work fine with your Hawkeye. I used the same scope on one of my lever guns (a Model 94 356) and have never had a problem. The scope is surprisingly clear and provides sufficient light gathering for dark timber. I have two 1.8 - 4.5 Zeiss scopes on two of my lever guns, and they are good to 300 yards, even with my aged eyes.

bullet":2i0mpk18 said:
Ok, I have a new in the box never mounted Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 coming and it will be mounted on my 358Win. My grandson gets the new FF2 3-9x40mm on his 22-250. Here is the scope I have coming.

435753.jpg
............WAIT A MINUTE!!!!.....What happened to the 3-9x40 Fullfield you were putting on your new .358??? Going on your grandson`s rifle, but you didn`t get another Fullfield??

I thought you needed a 3x9, to see some of them thar antlers at 300+ yards.... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

As I do with my 1.5-5x20 #4, I think you`ll like that low variable Leupy better, especially for ranges less than 250 yards and in the thicker cover bush at the closer ranges. It has wider FOV`s than 2x7`s and 3x9`s, is lighter, is lower profiled and is more compact and like your `ol 1-3x20 V3 Weaver, it has very fast, both eyes open acquisition/aiming to the targets on the lower powers............A better hunting magnification for a 358.

Fantastic scope. When I get around to buying a .375/.416/.458 (Lott) that's the scope I'm most likely to use.

Big Squeeze":v7tozujm said:
bullet":v7tozujm said:

435753.jpg
............WAIT A MINUTE!!!!.....What happened to the 3-9x40 Fullfield you were putting on your new .358??? Going on your grandson`s rifle, but you didn`t get another Fullfield??

I thought you needed a 3x9, to see some of them thar antlers at 300+ yards.... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

As I do with my 1.5-5x20 #4, I think you`ll like that low variable Leupy better, especially for ranges less than 250 yards and in the thicker cover bush at the closer ranges. It has wider FOV`s than 2x7`s and 3x9`s, is lighter, is lower profiled and is more compact and like your `ol 1-3x20 V3 Weaver, it has very fast, both eyes open acquisition/aiming to the targets on the lower powers............A better hunting magnification for a 358.

I got it just so I could get another respond form you since it has been a while, I miss friends... :lol: :lol: I guess my eyes are still good enough, I looked through the same scope of a friend of mine at a gallon milk jug just over 300yds and I could see it fine on 5 power. I decided that one like this would work fine and just happen to get one on a trade that had not been used. So I went for it. My grandson is really happy about the new scope on the 22-250 because that rifle which was mine, but I keep and is his always got one of my lesser used scopes. So, this makes him feel special and he is, he is my true hunting partner much less my grandson and close friend.

Great scope works up close say 15-20 yards and at 5x I find 250 yards is just find too. It dosen't need a larger objective it has loads of light transmission for dawn or dusk when the light is very low.

When you hunt in woods and timber you need a large field of view not just to see the whole deer but to see what obstructions are coming up as it moves through the trees. I would rether be under powered than over powered where scopes are concidered for big game.

I have been using a VXIII 1.5-5 on my 358win but I am gonna try a VXIII 1.75-6 on it to see how I like it. I have a VXII 1-4 on 35rem if I am in real tight stuff, so I can get by with the 1.75-6.

bullet":9i30x0bp said:
Big Squeeze":9i30x0bp said:
bullet":9i30x0bp said:

435753.jpg

I got it just so I could get another respond form you since it has been a while, I miss friends... :lol: :lol: I guess my eyes are still good enough, I looked through the same scope of a friend of mine at a gallon milk jug just over 300yds and I could see it fine on 5 power. I decided that one like this would work fine and just happen to get one on a trade that had not been used. So I went for it. My grandson is really happy about the new scope on the 22-250 because that rifle which was mine, but I keep and is his always got one of my lesser used scopes. So, this makes him feel special and he is, he is my true hunting partner much less my grandson and close friend.
..............Miss me huh??? LOL!!!..... Well! I told ya a lower magnification would be fine!..... I have taken my 1.5-5x20 VX3 and have ranged deer sized targets, such as signs, small windows on other houses etc to 500 yards with my rangefinder and have had no problems with too much crosshair covering the target set on 5X.

Some hunters even for the longer kill shots, don`t exceed 6x anyway. When you increase magnification, you automatically increase the scope wobble. Happens to all of us!

That Leupy is a better choice for your 358 than a 3x9.

POP":49ycwqpl said:
Great scope!

POP, I should be able with this scope to get small groups at 100yds in my load work and tests for velocity and accuracy. Got an email and because of snow on the mountains between Buffalo Wy, and Worland my rifle will not be shipped until next Monday. I will have all the stuff I need for realoading before it gets here.

PS, believe it or not but my scope is coming from North Pole, Alaska :):) Really it is!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, I can believe that according to the post office that the most direct route from Oregon to Mississippi is via Alaska. Hopefully, it won't pass through Canada, as that could delay transit for months.

bullet":1e35i7et said:
POP":1e35i7et said:
Great scope!

POP, I should be able with this scope to get small groups at 100yds in my load work and tests for velocity and accuracy. Got an email and because of snow on the mountains between Buffalo Wy, and Worland my rifle will not be shipped until next Monday. I will have all the stuff I need for realoading before it gets here.

PS, believe it or not but my scope is coming from North Pole, Alaska :):) Really it is!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
...................You won`t need to worry about your group sizes @ 100 yards with your new VX3.

Somewhere on line many months ago, either on the "shooting times" site or on the "guns and ammo" site, the author did group experiments at 100 yards using the same rifle and caliber but with two different scopes.

One scope was a 1.5X and the other was a 35X. There was very little difference at 100 yards between the two scopes.

I`ll see if I can find that article and reference it later on this thread.

Big Squeeze":1jwius2w said:
bullet":1jwius2w said:
POP":1jwius2w said:
Great scope!

...................You won`t need to worry about your group sizes @ 100 yards with your new VX3.

Somewhere on line many months ago, either on the "shooting times" site or on the "guns and ammo" site, the author did group experiments at 100 yards using the same rifle and caliber but with two different scopes.

One scope was a 1.5X and the other was a 35X. There was very little difference at 100 yards between the two scopes.

I`ll see if I can find that article and reference it later on this thread.
..............From memory, I found it pretty quick too!!!

"shootingtimes.com"........click "optics".........click pg 2 at bottom.......then find.........."Magnification and Group Size"....... by Hugh Birnbaum.

Back