Scope for Tikka 270 WSM?

dezmick

Beginner
Mar 5, 2011
I currently have a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 v-plex on my Tikka, i really like the optics, but i am not really that fond of the cross hair, it is a duplex, but a really thin one. I am wanting to know if i could get some suggestions as to what i should go with for a good quality scope with duplex, to put on the rifle that i will be using for deer hunting and as a back up elk rifle. I can trade the Vortex in at SWFA and get $225 for it towards the purchase of whatever scope i decide to get.

The Leupold VX-6 is a very good functional scope. I have it on my 270 win and it is a fine piece of glass.

Blessings,
Dan

I am surprised there are not more responses here, but I will give my opinion.

My Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow chambered in 270 WSM wears a 4.5-14x40 LR Leupold with the Boone and Crockett reticle sitting in Leupold dual dovetail mounts. I can see little reason to change to something else.

In fact I have 6 other rifles with the same optics and find it a great combination. I leave the scope on 4.5 and have shot a mess of game still set on 4.5. But, if I need more magnification, I have it ready and waiting.

The last 6x6 bull elk I shot was with my 300 Wby Mag. I had ranged a tree line at 436 yards. The bull came out in front of the trees and started to feed. I used the 400 yard line in the B&C scope and fired, the bull did not travel more than 10 or 20 yards. (Scope set on 14, so the B&C reticle would work)

Hard to beat a 3.5x10 or 2x10's. The extra X's are nice on the range, but for hunting, 10X seems pretty good. I have a 3.5x10 VX3 on my 270WSM and it works well. Don't overlook the Minox 2-10 either. You can pick them up for around 250.00 certain times of the year.

Back