Vortex rifle scope decision

Blbaneol

Beginner
Feb 14, 2019
I will soon be purchasing myself a little gift for making it through another year of college and my rifle is in need of a new scope. The rifle is a custom 30-06 and will be used for hunting and my intro rifle to long range precision shooting.
I have narrowed my search down to the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 with the MOA reticle or the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 with the MOA reticle.
I am also considering the same HS-T but in a 6-24x50. Is 6 power too much magnification for closer quick shots?
My preference is with the HS-T but I don't like the reticle being MOA and the adjustments being MRAD. Would this be an issue or not anything to worry about?
I want to stick with an MOA reticle and keep my price in the 500 to 700 dollar range.
Any advice on other scopes that fit this bill or advice on the Reticle/Adjustment difference would be appreciated.

I have the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 MOA on my 460 WBY and it has held up fine. It is a very clear. For the money it is hard to beat. I like it so much I bought a HS-T 6-24x50 in the MRAD for my 6mm Creed build.

Well, I guess it will really depend on what you consider long range shooting for you and your 30-06.
Since it is a hunting rifle first, I would tend to recommend the 4-16X44 model, as an encounter with a bull moose, bear or elk in the thick brush, is where the 4 power setting will be more of an advantage than a 6 power setting. For longer shots, with most 30-06 ammunition or handloads, the higher end of 16 power will be plenty. Any magnification higher than 10 gets pretty shaky without a solid rest.
The 44mm objective scope will help keep the scope weight down and make it less likely to get bumped and lose its zero while in transit or in the field.

Nothing wrong with your choice at all. I like Vortex scopes and have quite a few.
FWIW, if you have a chance, take a look at the new Diamondback Tactical line that came out a few months ago. I picked up a couple 4x16 although I use mil versus moa but moa is offered. My reason in mentioning these are with just leaving college they would save you a couple hundred versus the Vipers. The Viper is a very good line of scopes just had this thought for you.

https://vortexoptics.com/catalog/category/view/id/267

Congrats on making it thru another year of college! As for scopes in your price range, I'd recommend staying down in the 3-12, 3-15, 4-16 range. In addition to BLKRM's comment about having something lower than 6x at the bottom end for hunting, I think you'll find the amount of time you're actually able to use anything at the +18 mag range is very limited because of environmental factors, and (in general) until you get into scopes with a higher quality lenses, the image quality at 18x+ tends to start dropping and get "grainy". (I had a 6-24 Zeiss for a number of years on a varmint rifle, and found myself using it very little above 15x for the reasons above.) My favorite do-all scope is a 3.5-14.

Back