Scope installs

sask boy

Ammo Smith
Nov 4, 2007
Hi guys, a few quick questions. I am wondering if you use blue locktite on the rings screw as well as the base screws? Also how to get old loctite off the screws?
Also does anyone know the screw size for Niska bay style talley rings & bases?
Finally torque in lbs for the rings & bases :).
Thanking everyone in advance :wink:.
I am changing the Leica form my 35 to my 270. Then placing the Zeiss on my 35 & again finally taking VX-6 form my 270 to my 280AI. Man I am getting tired just thing about do all that work :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Don't use blue....use purple...it's the medium strength formula specifically for small screws.

And I never use it on rings, just bases.

RR, my locktite states it is medium strength & the colour is blue. Not sure what to think :(?

Blessings,
Dan

Mine was blue, medium strength too...I still have that tube...Loctite 242.

Like I said...I used it for years with no problems...not sure what happened, but it stuck with all the strength of a mig weld on my model 70.

I don't use Loctite on the rings ever. I don't believe I have ever had a ring loosen up when torqued properly. I do use a little on the bases. I still think the best part of my scope mounting gear is the torque wrench. That really does what it is supposed to do.

I use Loctite on all. I have never had a problem. Although I did have a screw snap on a base on my 280AI before I put the goop on it. Let me tell you those were some anxious moments getting it out. New custom rifle never been shot and a chance of ruining the receiver. A little time and patients with a drill and a LH drill bit did the trick!

Thank you for torque info.
One more question sorry, would that info be dry or wet torque?

Blessings,
Dan

I sold a .35 Marlin to my uncle years ago. I had mounted a Weaver 2.5X scope and had been hunting with it myself right up to the sale.
So he comes to the house wanting me to help him track a deer one night down in the Flint river swamps. No blood, no deer, nada. I looked at the rifle and tugged on the scope and it wiggled like jelly. All the ring screws were loose.
I could have sworn it wasn't like that when I sold it to him. But anyway after that I loctite "All" my screws upon final installation of the scope. The exception has been the aluminum rings on my Tikka.
I have both "Red" and "Blue" on my bench and I think most would be best served with "Blue".
To clean the threads I spray some Carb. or Brake cleaner on a cotton cloth (large patch) and squeeze the cloth against the threads while turning the screw with a screwdriver.

I've always used the blue Loctite on my bases, but I'll be switching to purple after ridgerunner665's M70 disaster. The rings are right there with easy access, and I've never had a problem, so I don't bother.

Or get S&K rings. Not going to have a problem with them.

I bed my bases with a skim of JB Weld, don't worry about a bit of it getting in the screwholes, just degrease the ring screws and torque them evenly.
RR

Back