Scope lens cover?

I don't care for flip up lens covers. What I've found to be the best for my use is the bikini style scope covers. These give the best protection and the least hassle for my hunting style. If you have access to a good sized inner tube, you can make your own by just cutting a section out, making the cut wide enough to fit over the objective lens.

All my newer Leupold scopes have the Alumina flip up covers.
The older ones have Butler Creek covers.

JD338

JD338":10owcj6v said:
All my newer Leupold scopes have the Alumina flip up covers.
The older ones have Butler Creek covers.

JD338
I kinda have a disdain for Leupold. I did recently breakdown and get an FX-II for a hand cannon and ordered their flip up covers. Absolutely fantastic. I'd say, if you have a Leupold that will accept em, the are at about the top of the heap.

I have considered Butler Creek covers for several of my other scopes, but I hear a lot of horror stories from both friends & acquaintances and internet tales of them being junk. I may give em a try, but for now I just go with the bikini covers.

I still use Butler Creek products but they are more cheaply made than in the past. They have somehow managed to redesign the torsion spring retaining mechanism and now it is cheaper and breaks more easily which lets the spring fall out of its retainer. Then the cover does not work anymore. Considering that they cost $9 per cover now, I will have to try the Leupold spring covers.

The story of a good product which has been value engineered to be useless!

I don't use covers, I store them with the scope coats, but for hunting, they are always wide open to the elements. I don't like extra stuff hanging around the scope..

Will Leopold fit other brands of scopes? Have tried butler creek, from my experience they will always spring open.
Keith

Because the Leupold Alumina scope covers are designed to screw onto the scope, they only fit Leupold. Butler Creek are designed to fit via friction to any scope that matches the measurement of the scope cover.

I often take the back cover off if I am hunting and feel something, like a shot, is eminent.

I've always used Butler Creek Blizzard see-thru covers. They work well for that sudden shot requirement. I quick flip of a finger opens them up if you have the time or if they are covered in snow. I have a pair that are at least 15 yrs old and can still see through them clearly and they've never broken or fallen off.

I don't care for the opaque scope covers.

CatskillCrawler":2lanmljj said:
I've always used Butler Creek Blizzard see-thru covers. They work well for that sudden shot requirement. I quick flip of a finger opens them up if you have the time or if they are covered in snow. I have a pair that are at least 15 yrs old and can still see through them clearly and they've never broken or fallen off.

I don't care for the opaque scope covers.
From what Charlie mentioned about the cheapening of em over recent years, you'd probably be well served to hold onto that set!

The question was asked if the Leupy covers would fit other brands. I know it was mentioned that the Leupy covers will only fit Leupy scopes because they screw on, but I know I have several non-Leupy scopes with threads. I certainly wouldn't hold my breath, but has anyone tried to thread the Leupy cover into a non Leupy scope? Mine is a 28mm and I'm not sure if I have any scopes with threads in that neighborhood to give it a try on.

meatmachineman":1ffumqga said:
From what Charlie mentioned about the cheapening of em over recent years, you'd probably be well served to hold onto that set!

That's what I like about the Blizzard See-thru's. There is no spring. No latch. No button. Just a friction fit cover with two Mickey Mouse ear tabs that you hit with a finger to release them.

BTW - Good to see you on this forum.

I put the Leupold Lumina flip-up pieces on my son's 4.5-14x40mm scope and love them. Quite, strong, sealed well, simple to open, keep everything nice and dry. Well worth the price.

On scopes they don't make them I use either the Butler Creek flip-open caps or the bikini covers. Both work well and help protect the lenses.

I would guess with the Leupold screw in covers, you wpuld have to consider both diameter and thread pitch.

I have a bunch of the Butler Creeks. I have noticed the new ones feeling cheaper, but I haven't had any problems with them... yet (I probably just jinxed myself).

Honestly, I'm a little afraid to try the Aluminas... with all the Leupies I have, that could get expensive. :shock:

BK":3ludc45n said:
...Honestly, I'm a little afraid to try the Aluminas... with all the Leupies I have, that could get expensive. :shock:
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

I have few a Leupold covers on a couple scopes and really like them. They can be folded all the way down on the scope body. That helps alot to keep them out of the way.

Back