Scored on a Doe ( warning graphic pictures)

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Thanks to everyone's good luck wishes and a savvy decision to change locations payed off with a nice 100lb doe.
The wind picked up and was gusting fairly hard so around 0830 I decided to give up on my original plan and looked for a place to get out of the wind on the other side of the ridge I was hunting. Found a Laurel thicket along the base of the ridge on the opposite side and sat down on the ground under a large oak tree. I decide to check my cell phone to make sure things were OK at home and thought just watch a deer show up while I'm playing with the phone. I had just put it away when a doe stepped out of the thicket about 80yds to my left and I eased the rifle to my shoulder and slipped the safety off on the 35 Whelen /AI. The doe stepped behind some saplings and didn't give me a shot. I noticed movement to my right a small buck had started to step out so I eased the rifle around to take aim on him. Most of his body was blocked by saplings so I sat waiting for him to uncover and he just stood there waiting for the doe to move. He took a step forward but was still covered up except for his head and neck and I knew this was going to be the only shot he was going to give me so I rested my elbow on my knee and placed the cross hairs on his neck, at the crack of the rifle he took off and I had missed him cleanly. The doe ran straight for me and stopped giving a broad side shot at about 50yds so as I reloaded she turned to look where the buck had gone and now all I had was a Texas heart shot which is not my favorite shot to take and normally would have passed it up but I was hungry for some tender venison and took the shot. Needless to say the 225gr PT hit where I as aiming and she went down. The bullet didn't hit any vitals and I had to finish her with a head shot at close range.
The first shot exited the rib cage on the left side half way up leaving a .45 hole I could stick my finger in. The pelvis was destroyed. When I skinned her out a piece of jacket metal fell out of the exit hole. The picture shows a wound channel that busted or sheared the ribs for about 10"s and an inch wide before the bullet exited the deer.
I know I hit bone but I have never seen this much damage caused by a non magnum rifle or light bullets from 30-06. The muzzle velocity was chronographed at 2780fps . I didn't show the pelvis area since it wasn't something a young person should see, the picture of the rib cage is bad enough.

Attachments

• KIMG0321.jpg
    KIMG0321.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 603
  • KIMG0322.jpg
    KIMG0322.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 603
  • KIMG0320.jpg
    KIMG0320.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 603
  • KIMG0319.jpg
    KIMG0319.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 603
Looks like she was hit by a train. Congrats on a fine table fare. I yet need to get some venison soon.

That powerhouse definitely did a number on her, Rodger. Good to have the meat in the freezer. Congratulations.

Thanks for the compliments. I never expected this much damage from a bullet with the PT's reputation for being stout. Makes me wonder what a AB will do at this velocity.
I have yet to cut her up since I was beat from getting her out and skinning her to cool quickly. I was close to 1mi from my truck and had to go over the ridge to get back to the truck, it was some really rough going till I got to the fire camp assembly area but still had a 1/4mi to go. I found out what the ankle was made of today and it has put my mind at ease and will not baby it as much as I use to but will still be cautious where I step. I also had my high top Danner boots on to help support it.
I also noticed the lead tips on the 2 bullets that were left had the lead tips flattened, thinking maybe Nosler should consider a poly tip to prevent this from happening.

Hey Dewey thanks for all your hard work and putting up with me developing these loads with out you, DrMike and Scotty this wouldn't have happened. (y)

Hey Dewey thanks for all your hard work and putting up with me developing these loads with out you, DrMike and Scotty this wouldn't have happened. (y)

Glad to help anytime.
Don't know about getting lumped in with those other two characters though. :lol: :lol:

Dwh7271":nuao643y said:

Glad to help anytime.
Don't know about getting lumped in with those other two characters though. :lol: :lol:

Hey, I represent that, Dewey. Lumped in with two outstanding gentlemen such as Scotty and myself? How positively uplifting for all!

Congratulations, Rodger. That cartridge and bullet looks like a pretty deadly combination. Being able to prove out the combination after putting so much effort into rifle and load development must be very rewarding for you. I am glad you got to see the benefits of your labors.

Dan

NYDAN":33cybvtk said:
Congratulations, Rodger. That cartridge and bullet looks like a pretty deadly combination. Being able to prove out the combination after putting so much effort into rifle and load development must be very rewarding for you. I am glad you got to see the benefits of your labors.

Dan
I have helped skin lots of deer shot with magnums that blew huge holes in animals but never saw one that looked like a buzz saw had went thru it. The bullet destroy the pelvis and H bone splitting it in half.
Needles to say I'm very impressed with this combination and what it can do, the only bullet that might be better is a mono in the same weight. I will be looking for some 225gr Barnes tsx bullets to try in it this winter for my spring bear hunt though I'm very confident that the PT will get the job done. With a bullet cartridge combination like this who needs a magnum?

Congrats on the doe, they do make mighty fine table fare.

Ya, you hit her with a freight train alright... Yee Haw!

Re the damage from the Partition - those front ends do have a reputation for "expanding readily." It's that rear section that hangs tough and ensures good penetration. I understand that in some of the heavier Partition bullets, the "Partition" is moved farther forward, for less expansion and more penetration. Haven't sectioned any myself, to check.

Congrats. I'd say you had "enough gun."

Guy

Guy Miner":1sw45s44 said:
Congrats on the doe, they do make mighty fine table fare.

Ya, you hit her with a freight train alright... Yee Haw!

Re the damage from the Partition - those front ends do have a reputation for "expanding readily." It's that rear section that hangs tough and ensures good penetration. I understand that in some of the heavier Partition bullets, the "Partition" is moved farther forward, for less expansion and more penetration. Haven't sectioned any myself, to check.

Congrats. I'd say you had "enough gun."

Guy
Thanks Guy.
I cut her up and put her in the freezer to day. Surprisingly it didn't destroy a lot of meat. The bullet slammed into the pelvis , the impact shattered the right femur destroyed the H bone crossing from right to left and plowed thru 4 ribs before it exited and never took out the fish or damaged the loins. Both hams had minor damage to the meat and I may have lost 1lb of meat total. It also didn't bust a gut on the way thru which really surprised me and I thought I would have mess to clean out as it was it took out the artery and the rear cavity was full of blood. Digging bone fragments out of the hams was tough but I think I got all. If I had shot her with anything else I would have lost the one ham and blown the guts up.
As they say with a Whelen you can eat right up to the hole.

Congratulations Rodger on breaking in the 35 Whelen AI. Looks like you hit a fair bit of bone there but it sounds good that there wasn't too much actual meat damage. You mentioned the AccuBond earlier, the 35 calibre versions are pretty good when it comes to meat damage. Wish I could tell you more about the 200 gr TTSX but haven't shot anything but paper with them yet.

Thanks gerry, I have only shot the Barnes on paper also and haven't found the sweet spot for them yet. Thinking the TSX might be easier to get to shoot but could be wrong.
Not sure I understand what you mean about the AccuBond on meat damage. My 30-06 with 165gr Hornady SPs damaged more meat than the 225gr PT.
I never found the entrance hole of the bullet and was shocked when I saw that the femur was shattered. I looked for a bullet cavity but there was non. The only thing I can figure is the impact of the bullet on the H bone was so ferocious it shattered that bone mid ways down the leg. You would have had to see it to believe it. What was left of the H bone was just hanging in the meat. The femur looked like a compound fracture.
I don't mean to go on about this but I have never seen anything like it, even from a magnum.

Just meant the AccuBond seems not be too bad on the groceries at those speeds compared to the reputation they seem to have with some.

gerry":2v2h4m6y said:
Just meant the AccuBond seems not be too bad on the groceries at those speeds compared to the reputation they seem to have with some.
OK I under stand could be too they made them tougher since they would also be used in the 358 Norma.
I have a bunch of 225 ABs so I may have to work a load up for them and give them a try. Already have a load for the 200gr AB. Didn't use it since the point of impact is different and hunting season was just around the corner.

Truck driver,
Just my experience with my 35 Whelen. The 225 AB doesn't seem to give as much damage to deer compared to the 225 PT. Shots have been 35 yds to 65 yds with both bullets. My load is going 2677 fps.

Don

DON":2z4lg1ej said:
Truck driver,
Just my experience with my 35 Whelen. The 225 AB doesn't seem to give as much damage to deer compared to the 225 PT. Shots have been 35 yds to 65 yds with both bullets. My load is going 2677 fps.

Don
Thanks for the info Don I'll have to give them a try next time out. I can get another 100fps with out maxing out ( 62000psi ) so the AB might be worth trying.

Back