Scored with the 450 Marlin Encore

reflex264

Handloader
Jun 13, 2007
I finally bloodied my .450 Encore. 160 yards. The gun is working great. I used a 300 grain Sierra loaded to 2030 fps. Wtih the new 1200-R powder I can get them out over 2400 fps from the 15" barrel. Quite the beast. I am saving my 300 grain Partitions for Elk, moose or Africa. I would love to see that bullet return as well as the handgun partitions.
nikon 8pt 450.JPG450 encore log.jpg

That's awesome, congratulations Roy.
Is that Ol' Georgia Jim's furniture on that hand cannon?

JD338

Hell I had a 444 in a marlin and it got your attention when it went off. I have a 454 and a 44 mag. I simply can’t immagine shooting some of these hand cannons you guys are playing with and I think a 375HH is only noticeable recoil.
Well done on the buck!

Hell I had a 444 in a marlin and it got your attention when it went off. I have a 454 and a 44 mag. I simply can’t immagine shooting some of these hand cannons you guys are playing with and I think a 375HH is only noticeable recoil.
Well done on the buck!
I tried some of the really hot loads like I used on the water buffalo in it without the brake. It was rough. With the brake it is tolerable but a lot of people probably still wouldn't like it. The top end 420 grain loads even with the brake are rather fiesty.

I tried some of the really hot loads like I used on the water buffalo in it without the brake. It was rough. With the brake it is tolerable but a lot of people probably still wouldn't like it. The top end 420 grain loads even with the brake are rather fiesty.
I find the 400 grain, 45/70 loads I carry in my guide gun in Alaska to be “fiesty” and I’m holding that with both hands:) You hand cannon guys have my admiration.

I find the 400 grain, 45/70 loads I carry in my guide gun in Alaska to be “fiesty” and I’m holding that with both hands:) You hand cannon guys have my admiration.
We are just a little crazy. I tolerate the recoil to get the performance. Some guys are addicted to it.

Back