sealing primer in case

hunter1276

Beginner
Jan 24, 2012
i seen the liquid sealer for primers,bullets uhhhh dont have any is it a must ? also will clear nail polish work? wife asked that one lol. just a question

I don't know for sure, Hunter, but this maybe a solution looking for a problem. While I haven't ever actually done a "soak" test, have used rounds in some pretty extreme environments without any problems. SE Alaska is a rainforest, temperate not tropical and in the late 70's early 80's did a fair amount of hunting and shooting there. Also commercial fishing of one form or another and never a problem with rounds in a boat gun. I have dropped rounds in a creek and took about 5 minutes to find them all. Dried them off and they work just fine.

Unless you plan on immersing your cartridges in water, the sealer is not necessary. The friction fit of the primer in a proper case is sufficient to exclude water. The sealer serves as extra precaution. Yes, clear nail polish will work for this purpose. I have never sealed a primer; I have never had a cartridge fail to ignite due to moisture.

okie thank you fella's wanted to just make sure. yea in ohio not to big a concern with weather any ways. but wanted make sure thanks again folks :)

I have used some fingernail polish on 5.56 rounds that I took too much of the crimp out and I was worried about a having a primer come out and jamb up the AR. Works fine.

Corey

Not needed at all. I have loaded for 37 years, had ammo get wet, humid, etc and have never had a mis fire.

JD338

Back