Seating depth for accubond long range

I didn't measure it but I thought it was about t 3/4 of an inch , but I have shot groups this size at 200 yards with 178 Amax so to try and tighten it up some more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Sako 7 Mag with a 26 inch Brux barrel and use 67 grains of RL19 and pushing a 7mm AccuBond 140 grain ( not a AccuBond LR ) at 3175 fps. Seated .005" off the lands. This is a 3 shot group with Remington brass. I have not tried the Long Range yet.

I5BaEps.jpg

TackDriver284":1amznmy1 said:
I have a Sako 7 Mag with a 26 inch Brux barrel and use 67 grains of RL19 and pushing a 7mm AccuBond 140 grain ( not a AccuBond LR ) at 3175 fps. Seated .005" off the lands. This is a 3 shot group with Remington brass. I have not tried the Long Range yet.

I5BaEps.jpg

With a 140 AB shooting like that, at that speed it would be unlikely I'd ever try much else. Nice shooting.

That load will do. Take it out and shoot for the sheer joy of shooting.

SJB358":17v066kp said:
TackDriver284":17v066kp said:

I5BaEps.jpg

With a 140 AB shooting like that, at that speed it would be unlikely I'd ever try much else. Nice shooting.

That is true, been using same load for 3 years. Never used anything else or wasted my time to.

LLYDIRTYMAX1 : Sorry to steal your thread with this picture. I have tried an AccuBond LR in my 7mm STW, but never could get it to shoot, so settled with a Nosler 150 BT. But this caliber is quite too fast for the BT at close range, over 200 yards is Ok for me.

Yep exactly. I can't remember off the top of my head how much I jump the 250AB out of my 9.3 but it's insane over .250". But it will put 3 in under 3/8" so I can't complain.

Well here is another group at .105 form the lands I didn't load any more of the 190s ablr but had these with when I was working up a load with 200 gr hornady eldxand they are consistent with the last group I shot so I'm pretty happy
a79350cf26e99946f9811a2dda30ed65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have every reason to be happy. Excellent group. Oh, yeah, that'll do.

In my 300WSM I have the 190 ABLR at .130" to fit in the box and they can make a 100 yd ragged hole. I actually thought I would just go as a single shot and load to the lands but ended all the way out there and can shoot the Savage Mod 12 as a repeater. So far with the ABLR (.308 / 190gn and .277 / 150gn) I've been consistant with what most shooters are saying being out there past .100" with these bullets.

I might not sell these 6.5 129's I have so I was looking at getting the vld seating stem I keep hearing about. Did a Google search, came up with the Wilson seating stems and the Redding micrometer seaters. Before I drop $40 on the micrometer, is that the stem that everyone is referring to? I use rcbs dies- I'm not looking for competition level accuracy, but sub moa if possible.

Hay guys I hate to rehash this post but as we are all trying to make improvement's. I started tinkering with my 338 rum and discovered that I am .256 off the lands with a Nosler 250g AB. Well what I am getting at is this seem way off the lands I was thinking that with a the AB, I would have been more like .050 off to .100 off. I am also at 3.784 COL and the book says max of 3.600 max. I am not really that worried about the COL because I am so far off the lands. It is however shooting right at MOA at 3070 fps with 98.5g retumbo. I am getting greedy I think, I always want to do better for the 500 yard + shots. What are your thoughts for all the guys out there that shoot the big boomers.

Jon

Jon, if you are getting the accuracy you want that speed is awesome. I wouldn't give a rats behind where it is according to the lands. Weatherbys have always seemed to shoot pretty well with a lot of freebore so I think you are just fine where you are at.

The ABLRs might be a little finicky if run out is above a certain amount as well. Seems like conventional bullets can take a little more run out than another and still be acceptable whereas maybe the ABLRs and similar really can't stand it. That's just me guessing but I've been measuring run out lately and trying to look after it and minimize it more.

I know the speed is good and well under book max for powder. If I go up even 1/2 g on powder the velocities get a little jumpy. so that seems to be the sweet spot. I am getting between 3060 to 3080 so it is really consistent with most 3070 to 3077. I was just trying to tighten it up a little, I get better results with Partitions and the same powder charge just at 3050 ave. it shoots a little tighter. I think I am just type A trying for more all the time. I will tinker with it every time I go to the range just load something different and see what happens.

Jon

Jon, I think you are right where you need to be :wink:. Like most of us it sure is fun tinkering when out at the range.
I don't think you are going to have any problems anchoring what you are aiming at (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Jon, just for grins have you measured concentricity on your loaded rounds. It's by no means scientific but it seems like flat based bullets like the Partition stand a little more out of round than a boat tail. Some of my Partition loads were sorta scary in run out but still shot like crazy. The Accubonds and other boat tails seemed to notice that right off the bat.

Either way, those two loads are very serious hunting cartridges.

Back