Seating depth for accubond long range

LLYDIRTYMAX1

Beginner
Jan 20, 2016
I have been working with some 190 grain AccuBond long range bullets in a 300 win mag and have read contradicting statements about where they like to be seated of the lands some people said jame them into the land others have said they like a lot of jump. I started at .015 off the lands with not great success . Does anyone have any experience with these I would like to hear some others experience with these before I waste more of these expensive little buggers experimenting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've shot quite a few AccuBonds in a rather large variety of cartridges with a modicum of success. To be sure, I have not shot the 190 grain ABs, yet. I do have a couple of boxes, and I plan on working up a load with them this spring. My experience with cartridges spanning 26 to 37 calibres suggests that the most accurate loads have all employed a longish jump to the lands. Most of my loads are seated ~0.100 inches off the lands.

I load the NABLR's in my 264. Best groups have been from .05 - .1 off the lands. For the regular accubonds the jump seems to be about the same. My closest to the lands to date is in one of my 25-06. It's right at .05 off the lands and prints 5 shot groups at .6 or so @ 100.

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I will try .05 and work towards .1 and see how they do

Don't be alarmed if deeper produces better results. I was seeing the best consistency pretty danged far. Hope you can make them work.

From my experiments with the .358 200gr AB and the long chamber in my 35 Whelen AI I am seating them .248" off the lands. The chamber is 3.536" in my 35 AI. I'm betting if the chamber was SAAMI length that I would be seating them .100" off the lands.

truck driver":1cltrc03 said:
From my experiments with the .358 200gr AB and the long chamber in my 35 Whelen AI I am seating them .248" off the lands. The chamber is 3.536" in my 35 AI. I'm betting if the chamber was SAAMI length that I would be seating them .100" off the lands.

Those are Weatherby numbers! The Weatherby chambers and your .35 show it isn't necessary to chase the lands.

rodell, the Remington M700 Classic 35 Whelen factory chamber is 3.678" and will shoot very well with bullets seated well off the lands.

I am too shooting this bullet out of a .300 win mag Browning Abolt..

I found that I had to shoot a depth that worked with my bullet magazine.. Long seating depths didn't work with my gun because I couldn't carry more than one bullet in my barrel!!

Hope this helps!!

d00752552904c58931de80b8b8da0b78.jpg
well here are the results middle group is 79 grains of h 1000 50 thou off the lands bottom right group is 73 grains of reloader 22 50 thou off the lands and the top right is 79 grains of h1000 with 190 custom competitions 10 thou of the lands. I think I will try 70 thou next and see what happens

Looks pretty good. I'd keep seating them deeper to see what happens. Might be real good with that H1000 load.

00eb3d221e4636232f0c38d60b3a6be0.jpg
well here are my latest groups . All with 79 grains h 1000 except the top left group is reloader 22 . Middle group is 190 ablr 70 thou off the lands, bottom right is 190 ablr 90 thou off the lands the top right is 190 cc 10 thou off the lands bottom left is 190 cc 20 thou off the lands and top left is 73 grains of reloader 22 but I'm not sure how far of the lands I saved the fifth round to measure oal. I don't really know what way to go with seating depth should I go further from the lands or closer ?

Looks like your bottom right is starting to even up a little. I'd start going in .010" increments deeper and see what happens. How fast are you shooting the 5 rounds?

Seems like RL22 is grouping very well for you as well so maybe try it or another powder. Your rifle just may not like H1000 in this instance.

I would retest the same RL22 load and if I got the same or very close to group size I would be done. Like Scotty said, your rifle may not like H-1000 but it sure looks like it like RL22.

I don't know the intended purpose of this rifle, but I am guessing, hunting. I am looking at the upper left group and see what I believe is a1/2 MOA, 5 shot group. I would shoot "that" load a few more times for verification, then move on. (y) That is a great group and good enough for anything in the woods.

Thanks for the replies! I took my time and waited about 2 minutes between shots. This rifle seems to like both h 1000 and re loader 22, I have shot 1/2 Moa group with h 1000 and 178 Amax. I think this is mostly just from the seating depth being changed. The reloader 22 group is with the custom competition and I don't want to use that bullet for hunting . I think im going to load some .100 and go from there

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't jump to Re22 so quickly.

You might find that varying seating depth in small increments (or decrements, as it were) turns out to be a long drawn out process. I would suggest varying by 0.010" and loading only TWO rounds at each different OAL. You seem to be operating in a neighborhood where things aren't working, and what you need may be another zip code, if you catch my meaning. When you see a pattern of things tightening up with groups of two, you'll know you're (or rather could be) getting close. Two shot groups don't prove a load works, but they're pretty danged handy for eliminating loads that won't work, economically speaking.

I'm going to continue with h 1000 to test seating depth, and when I find a seating depth I will try Rl 22 again . I think I'm going to do groups of three from now on!

d88a02a63e9a68295472c0642d7d4002.jpg
well it's been I while since I had a chance to got shooting but here is what I got with 79 gr h1000 and .105 form the lands with 190 ablr think I'm going to go deeper by .005 up to .120 and see if I can get them a little tighter

You do appear to be moving in the right direction. I have at times found that seating exceptionally deep has yielded excellent accuracy. Your accuracy on that particular load is, nevertheless, very good already.

Back