seating depth

onesonek

Handloader
Apr 4, 2008
Now I thought I had seen various results on this, but for some reason not find what I want to find, in a search

Question is,,,,,
Those of you that have played with the Etip's, how far off the lands are you seating, and finding the best accuracy? I know most mono's tend to be farther off the lands the conventional C&C bullets, so is the reason I ask. I'm not absolutely certain that caliber makes a lot of difference in this, but looking at .30 cal. in this instance.

Different rifles like differing jumps to the lands. Some of my rifles like as much as 0.100 inches; some prefer a closer arrangement.

DrMike":2y2xnr3w said:
Different rifles like differing jumps to the lands. Some of my rifles like as much as 0.100 inches; some prefer a closer arrangement.

Absolutely!

Agreed, I think I'll start at .040" off and work my deeper and away with at least 2 powders. See were the sweet spot may be.

I think you're on the right track. Just for reference, my experience is that there is a narrow band on the sweet spot, so .010" increments is the max I'd use for initial searching, as you might pass by the node otherwise. I love E-Tips after seeing what they do on game this past season, but they are a bit more temperamental than traditional lead core stuff.

Yes, aand as I had meant to put in the last post but some how it got by me,,,,,
I was also thinking of working in deeper or away from the lands at either .003 or .005" intervals.
Also knowing mono's can be temperatmental, also adds to the challenge. Sometimes easy becomes too boring, if you know what I mean.

Back