Seeing some easing on reloading supplies.

I do note that the Extreme Range Outfitters is located in Saskatoon, SK. The prices are in Canadian dollars, reflecting a lack of understanding on the part of Canadian shooters. Yes, supplies are somewhat scarce, but that is exceptionally high prices even by Canadian standards. I'd say the company is named appropriately, since they are extreme and out of range for most shooters.

I cannot believe what people are willing to pay for stuff DrMike. It's pure insanity

Our local Ace Hardware did get powder in and it was gone in about 2 days. I talked to the manager and was told that this order was placed in mid-2021. Has no idea when subsequent orders will start to show up. I will feel better that things are improving when Speer and Sierra start shipping bullets again and supplies last longer than a day or 2 on the shelves.

So who is profiting from the supply shortage? An example of this is Federal 210M primers. Midway listed them in their 2019 Reloading Catalog at $41.99 per 1000. Today Powder Valley lists them at $130 per 1000 and they are out of stock. I've also noticed that today the cost of blemished bullets when they are available, is what 1st cost in 2019. In my mind, I can justify the bullet cost but not Primers!

Well that helps a little bit on the actual price Dr Mike, but based on the current bid of $230. still would be roughly $180 U.S. for that one lb of powder. Just insane.

I'll just say again to give you all hope, that the local shop I referenced although small in size, in the last 6 months they've gotten increasing amounts of all supplies......rifles, 1000 round cases of 9mm, one lb and 8 lb jugs of powder, etc, etc, etc. Things are coming in that were simply not a yr ago. That will hopefully slowly continue to expand across the spectrum of shops.

Well that helps a little bit on the actual price Dr Mike, but based on the current bid of $230. still would be roughly $180 U.S. for that one lb of powder. Just insane.

I'll just say again to give you all hope, that the local shop I referenced although small in size, in the last 6 months they've gotten increasing amounts of all supplies......rifles, 1000 round cases of 9mm, one lb and 8 lb jugs of powder, etc, etc, etc. Things are coming in that were simply not a yr ago. That will hopefully slowly continue to expand across the spectrum of shops.
Two different shops I frequent located about 1.5 mile apart are different in that one is able to get minimum amount of ammo, no powder, bullets or primers. The other gets some powder, fair amount of ammo, few bullets (never have) and no primers. Don't know if it's management or suppliers that cause the difference in availability. Just an example of what I see. Dan.

With 11 hours left, the price is *only* $230 now. I'm sort of interested to see what if finally sells for - give me an idea of the upper limit of insanity.
Interesting that the primers are down at a lowly $180.

I need to get on the ball. I'm sitting on about $20,000 dollars in powder!

I'm in Saskatchewan Canada; I'm northwest of Ophiem MT about 40 miles the way the crow flys.
One thing I can say for certain is that Canada with about the same population as that state of California is not high on the supply list. I'm glad that I always stay well stocked so I can get through times like this and avoid the total Insanity. It wasn't like we couldn't see this coming.
Well a fellow Saskatchewan Lad that is great to see. I am well stocked in most supplies;) but I do need 140gr. ABs in the 284 Calibre.

Blessings,
Dan

You won't have any trouble with those. They will work just fine for you. I'm still using primers from many years ago. Haven't had a misfire yet.
I'll take that message. I left those sit on the table for a day before I put them away. Shook my head everytime I looked at them and thought about it. Amazes me I was blessed with 4 bricks of primers just a few miles from my house, a year and a half into a time when everybody is clutching onto everything they have and would normally only be pried from things with abnormaly high prices. At $12.50 per brick, it was abnormal but the other way.

I Just recently (about 2 weeks ago), fired up our Food Saver and vacuum sealed 10 bricks of primers for storage. I kept a mix of roughly 1500 out for shooting and loading this Spring and Summer. The prices being asked and PAID on auction sites is awe inspiring to me. I figure I could make it 6-7 years if I shoot at my usual pace without having to buy any components at all, 12-15 years if I ration myself. I still don’t buy that this is solely due to increased firearms owners. I guess I have trust issues. LOL

I Just recently (about 2 weeks ago), fired up our Food Saver and vacuum sealed 10 bricks of primers for storage. I kept a mix of roughly 1500 out for shooting and loading this Spring and Summer. The prices being asked and PAID on auction sites is awe inspiring to me. I figure I could make it 6-7 years if I shoot at my usual pace without having to buy any components at all, 12-15 years if I ration myself. I still don’t buy that this is solely due to increased firearms owners. I guess I have trust issues. LOL
(y) Good deal. You're set. Sounds like you have the same amount I do. Minus the brick I gave to the LGS for future trade I have a little over 11,500.

I didn't vacuum seal mine but I have a humidity gauge and put my primers in the lowest humidity spot in the whole house.

Remember how AR-15 prices soared after the awful Sandy Hook shooting?

$700 rifles suddenly became $2500 rifles... A year or two passed, and then they were worth $700 again.

I hope this same thing happens with our ammunition & reloading components, that the prices fall back to a reasonable level and the supply increases.

Meanwhile, like others here, I was decently prepared and have been able to continue my recreational shooting. I've toned it down some, but I still get to the gun club about once a week to bust some caps. :) My most critical component is small pistol primers - which vexes me because I really enjoy loading and shooting 38's. Ah well. Am under 1,000 of those primers. My supply of large pistol primers is good. Rifle primers large and small are okay too. I can shoot for a long time. It's a good feeling. :)

Regards, Guy

(y) Good deal. You're set. Sounds like you have the same amount I do. Minus the brick I gave to the LGS for future trade I have a little over 11,500.

I didn't vacuum seal mine but I have a humidity gauge and put my primers in the lowest humidity spot in the whole house.
I even vacuum sealed my #11 percussion caps for my muzzleloaders. I’m just shy of 3700 for #11’s. RWS 1075+, Winchester Magnum, CCI Magnum, and some Italian made caps that shoot surprisingly well. It seems when I get on a roll I can’t stop……….LOL. And for the record those Food Saver vacuum sealers pull and seal a REALLY tight vacuum. They are super handy for preserving much more than just food. Im sold on them. I use it a lot for firearm parts. A drop or two of oil in the bag for steel parts, seal them up and you can store them in a stock pond if you want.

Guy, I've been using small rifle primers in place of Small pistol primers on occasion and find they work very well, specifically in my 9MM. I know I'll get some negative responses but I've spoken with people that work in the shooting business and found out that in certain matches , ones that a .38 Super caliber is involved in, small rifle primers are used exclusively and perform better than small pistol primers. I've noticed no detrimental effects to the case and no signs of excessive pressure.

Guy, I've been using small rifle primers in place of Small pistol primers on occasion and find they work very well, specifically in my 9MM. I know I'll get some negative responses but I've spoken with people that work in the shooting business and found out that in certain matches , ones that a .38 Super caliber is involved in, small rifle primers are used exclusively and perform better than small pistol primers. I've noticed no detrimental effects to the case and no signs of excessive pressure.
Know some fella's that done the same in the last yr. The one guy in particular shoots a LOT. Only negative reported is an occassional FTF due to the lighter strikes of a pistol. I believe the pistol primers are thinner skinned than the rifle primers but I could be wrong on that. If so you wouldn't want to go the other way as pierced primers could be the result of shooting small pistol primers in a small rifle.

I even vacuum sealed my #11 percussion caps for my muzzleloaders. I’m just shy of 3700 for #11’s. RWS 1075+, Winchester Magnum, CCI Magnum, and some Italian made caps that shoot surprisingly well. It seems when I get on a roll I can’t stop……….LOL. And for the record those Food Saver vacuum sealers pull and seal a REALLY tight vacuum. They are super handy for preserving much more than just food. Im sold on them. I use it a lot for firearm parts. A drop or two of oil in the bag for steel parts, seal them up and you can store them in a stock pond if you want.
Good info to know. Hadn't really though of that. I don't currently have any rifle parts I would need to protect in a stock pond, but if I do that's good info. Ha. In all seriousness I'm getting what you're saying and hadn't thought of using it in that manner. I can see how a little oil and no air would protect something metal for a LONG, LONG time. (y)

Back