Semi-Autos in Cold Weather?

147 Grain

Beginner
May 17, 2005
Looking for advice of what to do or not do to a Remington 7400 semi-auto 30-06 before hunting in very cold weather.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Steve

Remove all the oil and grease. Use a dry lube or one of the lubes designed for cold weather.Rick.

Or do what did. Trade the 7400 for a bolt action that never fails. After experiencing reliability issues in cold weather I went with a bolt action and have never looked back.

Thanks for the reminder.

While we also have a new Remington 700 SPS Stainless in 30-06, my son and I kind of like toying with the semi-auto.

Range Report

Concerning my new Remington 7400 in 30-06:

Initially, the first 50 rounds produced jams every third round, so I went to work on it by bedding the action / stock / installing a LimbSaver Barrel De-Resonator / adjusting the trigger to 3 lbs., and dry-firing / working the action 1,000 times.

A major and very thorough cleaning of the action and chamber was performed. Did I say take your time and pay close attention to detail in cleaning the action / chamber / bolt?

Afterwards, the 7400 30-06 has not jammed in the last 200 rounds and is shooting groups that vary between 7/8" and 1 1/8" off a benchrest and 1 3/4" to 2" groups offhand - using 180-gr. Federal Solid Base rounds.

Speer Hot Core 165-gr. were slightly more accurate and shot the smaller groups, with the 180-gr.'s being the largest, but not my a large margin.

Will try some Nosler Ballistic Tips and AccuBonds next.

Steve

P.S. Groups definitely opened up when the barrel's hot, but no accuracy problems in firing a quick 4-round magazine from a cold barrel, as in the worst case hunting situation.

147 gr,
The 165 gr Speer hotcore was my bullet of choice at everything when I shot a 3006, I killed 7 deer with them, the Speer is a tough bullet, IMHO the toughest outside of the premiums or bonded.
If they are accurate in your gun use them on everything.

I agree with you concerning Speer's Hot Core being high quality for a regular bullet. I have about a dozen boxes of leftover Federal 165-gr. with the Hot Core round at 2,810 fps MV - and - they're accurate too.

One other amazing thing - the above round has a high BC of .444, which is very uncommon for a regular bullet. In comparison, Remington's PSP 165-gr. Core Lokt has a BC of only ".339": 105 points lower!

Look at the BC's of most Speer Hot Cores and they will all be 1/3'rd greater than the Core Lokts and Power Points, but Nosler has everyone beat by a wide margin (as far as ballistic efficiency is concerned) - even another 1/4'th to 1/3'rd better than Speer.

For really cold weather, I came from Alaska in Feb, make sure to degrease the entire gun of all moving parts and use a dry graphite based lubricant. Most people degrease the gun, but forget the firing pin or safety and the gun then become useless.

And here is one thing for all you hunters that are planning a cold Alberta whitetail hunt where temp can get -30 or a Northwest Canada or Alaska hunt where the temp can drop real could. Don't ask me why but Chrome-Moly is stronger and less brittle in the extreme cold than stainless. A good gunsmith friend of mine has had four rifle barrels split and blow up on customers during winter caribou hunts in Alaska. And yes all four were stainless.

Back