Semi Custom Rifles

Magsrgod

Beginner
Sep 23, 2025
52
125
If you were going to look for a semi custom rifle what brands would you look at? There are so many of them on the market its overwhelming. I’ve been looking at ones like Alamo Precision, Horizon, Straight Jacket Armory, Nosler… etc etc.

Trying to figure out the ones that have been doing it successfully for a long time and not a new shop that’s going to be gone in a few years.
 
I know a number of guys who bought Christiansen rifles early on, and love them. I’ve had two in the last couple of years that couldn’t hold a candle to a 1968 vintage Ruger 77. The outfitter I’ve hunted with and a couple of his PHs use Hill Country Rifles and are very happy with them.
 
Full custom rifles are great, but it takes time to assemble parts and more time to build. Add to that the cost which is easily $5,000+ in today's market, and a semi-custom rifle really starts to shine. Many of the current semi-custom rifles will shoot better than the average hunter will ever need, even for hunting over long(er) distances.
 
It really depends on what you are looking for, and how much you are willing to spend. Like the other have said going custom gives you more flexibility in your cartridge choice, barrel length and contour, etc.
What are you planning on doing with it? Thoughts on cartridge?
 
A full custom doesnt need to take a long time to build or cost 5k. With prefit or Remage type barrels a person can put one together themselves easily and if the barrel is in stock it could happen quick once you have the action. I paid 800 for a used Defiance Classic and a new Tenacity. Both of those are guaranteed headspace actions so prefits are plentiful. Steel prefits can be had for 5-800 and carbon for a few hundred more. After that its bottom metal, a trigger and stock. Even with a Manners or McMillan and a carbon barrel you'd be under 3500. More maybe with Cerakote and/or a brake but no where near 5k. If you shop things you could do it well under 3k. Many of the carbon barreled semi customs are in the 2k range with crap barrels, the most important part of any rifle build.

I built my kids guns with Defiance Classic actions, 800 and 900, Krieger barrels, 375 each, Trigger tech triggers 160 or so on sale, Stockys stocks, not my favorite but cheap 335 on sale plus my FFL discount. I have a bunch of BDL bottom metal so that didnt really cost me anything and the brakes and gunsmithing was free :) . I could of splurged and got them McMillans for a couple hundred more each or used the ones I already have to build them .30 magnums when they are full grown but I can do it later too.
 
I have done full custom rifle builds, and those where it has just been a rebarrel job on a left hand donor rifle from a mainstream manufacturer I like (Remington, Ruger, Sako, and Browning), in order to get a rifle in a cartridge I like, or changed the stock to one I preferred. I have termed these as "semi-custom" when describing them in past posts, as they are just modifications and not full custom jobs.
But it is harder for me to find left handed rifles in some of the oddball cartridges I seem to prefer, or some of the newer cartridges that I am interested in trying.
Or the models they offer, have stock configurations that I am not interested in (more target style than classic hunting style), or aren't offering barrel lengths that I am looking for (e.g., 24"), as we cannot use suppressors here in Canada, and do not need to have a shorter barrel to accommodate this option.

My first semicustom, as the newer boutique rifle manufacturers are being called today, is my LH Fierce Carbon Rogue in 7mm PRC, with a 24" barrel. So far, the rifle is performing to expectations. I look forward to shooting and hunting with it more.
I have heard some didn't experience the same results, but after bedding their actions, performance improved.

I am also looking at Antler Firearms, made here in Canada, which made the early production runs of Fierce rifles (until they moved production to the US - where my Carbon Rogue was made). I am hoping that they may consider a build in a chambering they do not currently offer. (I also like that they are using Sako Model 85 style actions, as I really like mine!)

I have read some great things about some of the semicustom rifles you have mentioned, but as some have no left handed options, I haven't looked further into the process of acquiring any of those brands. Too bad, as some sound very interesting, and are proving themselves well performance wise.

In the end, choose a rifle that will deliver your needs and wants in a rifle, and feels good to you when you handle and mount the rifle to your shoulder. Choose the one with the components that will provide the performance from your chosen cartridge, so that you can achieve the characteristics that will meet your shooting and/or hunting style, and for the environments you will be shooting/hunting with this in, for your intended targets. Do this, and you won't be disappointed in what other mays think or tell you.
 
Last edited:
I just remembered getting this Email not too long ago . another option towards a new rifle . I know nothing about , MOA rifles .



Sep 25, 2026, 1:31 PM
mail

mail
mail
Image of Barreled Action - 22 Creedmoor - Steel Spiral Fluted​
$2,195.00 $2,695.00​
​
Image of Barreled Action - 6 Creedmoor - Carbon Barrel​
$2,495.00 $2,995.00​
​
Image of Barreled Action - 7 PRC - Steel Spiral Fluted​
$2,195.00 $2,695.00​
​

All barreled actions ship in 2-3 weeks.​

​

​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
 
One of my elk hunting crew has an MOA rifle. 300prc. I spent a day at the range with him two years ago when he got it. Damn thing is so accurate it made me shake my head while shooting 500 yards.
 
Thank you all, sorry for the late reply on my end. I've been up in Northern Maine bear hunting.

I've considered a lot of the options talked about in this tread, Seekins, Nosler, and new barrel + stock for a Tikka action. Some of the Semi custom shops you do get to pick a caliber. I'm specifically looking at 280AI in a 22" barrel. The Alamo Precision Maverick seemed like it fit the bill pretty well, and the same with the Horizon. The Horizon Venatic was a Stiller Wombat action with their barrel and a EKO stock. Alamo was similar but different action / stock.

I'm going to look into MOA, I haven't seen that one before.
 
Thank you all, sorry for the late reply on my end. I've been up in Northern Maine bear hunting.

I've considered a lot of the options talked about in this tread, Seekins, Nosler, and new barrel + stock for a Tikka action. Some of the Semi custom shops you do get to pick a caliber. I'm specifically looking at 280AI in a 22" barrel. The Alamo Precision Maverick seemed like it fit the bill pretty well, and the same with the Horizon. The Horizon Venatic was a Stiller Wombat action with their barrel and a EKO stock. Alamo was similar but different action / stock.

I'm going to look into MOA, I haven't seen that one before.
Best of luck in your quest!
Look forward to hearing what you choose, and the field reports on how it performs for you.
 
A full custom doesnt need to take a long time to build or cost 5k. With prefit or Remage type barrels a person can put one together themselves easily and if the barrel is in stock it could happen quick once you have the action. I paid 800 for a used Defiance Classic and a new Tenacity. Both of those are guaranteed headspace actions so prefits are plentiful. Steel prefits can be had for 5-800 and carbon for a few hundred more. After that its bottom metal, a trigger and stock. Even with a Manners or McMillan and a carbon barrel you'd be under 3500. More maybe with Cerakote and/or a brake but no where near 5k. If you shop things you could do it well under 3k. Many of the carbon barreled semi customs are in the 2k range with crap barrels, the most important part of any rifle build.

I built my kids guns with Defiance Classic actions, 800 and 900, Krieger barrels, 375 each, Trigger tech triggers 160 or so on sale, Stockys stocks, not my favorite but cheap 335 on sale plus my FFL discount. I have a bunch of BDL bottom metal so that didnt really cost me anything and the brakes and gunsmithing was free :) . I could of splurged and got them McMillans for a couple hundred more each or used the ones I already have to build them .30 magnums when they are full grown but I can do it later too.

What you have described is a world of difference from having professionally built full custom rifle. Yes - there are always cheaper components and cheaper ways to build almost anything but "custom" rifles come at "custom" prices.
 
Back
Top