Series three caliber?

bobrammer

Beginner
Feb 1, 2007
Did Nosler announce the caliber for the series 3 NCR? I just want to make sure I didn't miss something! Thanks.

bobrammer":hdghqj7k said:
Did Nosler announce the caliber for the series 3 NCR? I just want to make sure I didn't miss something! Thanks.

The most recent thing I heard was that they are considering the .270 win, but I don't thinks it's official yet.

It is finally official. Nosler announced the caliber of the third custom rifle at the Safari Club show. It will be a 270 Winchester.

Now that's a good choice! Great caliber and wide market acceptance. That should sell some rifles for them.

Wahooo!!! Series three is set. Sign me up yet again. I've got the .300wsm, ordered the .280AI so now you can add the .270 to my bill. BTW some day I hope to transfer my serial number rights to my kids. Never thought I'd have to put that in my will. Keep up the great work.

Nosler Custom Rifle - Series 3.

In reference to the thread - Rifleman's Rifle.

It would appear that the calibre of choice for the Nosler Custom Rifle, Series 3 is not going to be the .270 Winchester as this thread originally indicated.

So much for the one on order at my local gun shop.

gmc.

Re: Series 3.

If we are back to torr's and the Nosler Custom Rifle - Series 3 is not going to be chambered in the .270 Winchester, as indicated by one of the Nosler moderators, then perhaps we should re-visit the ''cartridge of choice' for the Series 3 discussion.

I pose this question because I believe Nosler doesn't mind spirited discussion amongst those who buy their products.

For the sake of discussion what do you think it should be?

Greg Campbell

Dave Regan":34l1kzbv said:
For the sake of discussion what do you think it should be?

Greg Campbell

Just in the off chance I hit the lotto between now and then :lol:

338-06 :grin:

C'mon guys. Why don't you start a poll between the 5 best choices you already have. my vote would take a couple hours of thought. I'd have to say that the 338 RUM comes to mind as the 28 & 30 cal slots are full, 270 win or WSM are great rounds, but these NCR's are exceptionally great rifles. Do the 270's measure up?? I think the class ic 270 win deserves the honour. 6.5X55 perhaps?? not potent enough really. 6.5mm Rem Mag with a touch longer mag for seating out a ways. and reamed with the right leade angle to acommadate this seating depth woulod be unique and an exceptionally functional round. I kind of like the exclusive feel of the 280AI. The 6.5mm Rem Mag fits this style. Another almost forgotten round that would fit the exclusive list would be the 8mm Rem Mag. albeit there would need to beva new AccuBond released with it..... My last pick is not going to see the light of day and that is because it's another Ackley round. THe 257 Roberts AI, with a fluted barrel somwhere between 2-4 contour.

So: 338 RUM, 270 win, 6.5mm Rem Mag, 8mm Rem Mag or 257 Roberts AI. Those are my picks and I'd have a hard time whittiling that list down. The best two would be the 338 RUM or the big "8" for awesome hard hitter, but that 6.5mm would be a dandy deer mulie or elk rifle. The classic 270 win, well read the great Jack O'connors writings, that rifle would be a joy to use. 57 grains of IMR 4831 will kill most deer of any species with a 130 grn premium bullet . The 257 roberts AI, well I don't know I want one. Maybe I'll try a 257 barrel for my Savage 111 and if I don't like it I could go 25-06 or 257 wby as I'm already tooled up for it.

JT

TScottW99":2iv42xrt said:
Just in the off chance I hit the lotto between now and then :lol:

338-06 :grin:

I'm stealing an idea from the late, great G. Sitton here, but how about matching .338-06 AI and .280, both with 24" barrels?

Re: My Post of the 18 December, 2008.
The owner of my local gun shop attended the Shot Show in the U.S. prior to him leaving, I asked him to inquire what was happening with the Nosler Custom Rifle in .270 Winchester. I spoke to him when he returned and he ensured me that I would eventually receive the rifle. He didn't know when, but I would get it. 'Buggered if I know' I think I will believe it when I see it and hold it.

Nosler feel free to comment.

Greg Campbell

How about a 6mm Remington. I would love to see the Model 48 in that chambering. They are making it for this cartridges bigger brother the 257 Roberts, so it should be fairly easy to make it for the 6mm. Forget about the .243 Winchester, the 6mm Remington is a much better cartridge!

I’m not on board with the everyday normal caliber selections whether they are classics or not. One of the reasons I follow/support Nosler is because they choose some odd ball, great caliber selections. The 6.5-284, the 280AI, 260 Rem, etc. I would recommend 25/300 RSAUM, 240 Gibbs, 6.5-06 Ackley, 22-243 Middlestead. Something of this nature. Nosler always backs up their interesting selections by manufacturing top grade (excuse me…trophy grade) ammo.
If people want a .270, they can choose from any rifle manufacturer on the planet…

Back