Set screw

I lock em lightly and put a matching mark on the die thread and lockring. A small move of the ring one way or another is ez to see when adjusting.
I also use a shellholder that is shaved so the die does not hit the shellholder...I believe this makes adjustments more accurate and adds less stress to the lever mechanism.

dubyam":25rsk7ug said:
Add another Hornady lock-ring user.

Add two. I bought one of the Hornady rings just to try, and immediately cleaned out the RCBS set-screw rings. Simple and effective.

It is a MUST for consistent reloading.

I have all mine locked down and nothing gets changed. I the case of partial sizing I just use the shim I need under the loc-ring. As far as changing bullets thats nothing to do with the loc-ring on the die its the seating depth adjustment.

I started with hornady dies for my 35rem/358win. Picked up the LEE collet die set for my 22-hornet and replaced the non-loc-ring with the hornady ring. Next was two reddington die sets and learned about the lead shot under the set screw which I like best. Have two RCBS die sets that were given to me for my 270win hornet fro a friend that quit reloading. I think I will get the new Hunter class reddington die sets for my 35whelen and 270win sell the RCBS sets. I like the mico adjust seating dies.

Woodycreek":1hpjp6o8 said:
velvetant":1hpjp6o8 said:
wisconsinteacher":1hpjp6o8 said:
I replaced all mine with Hornady lock rings and have them locked down.
Me too

Same here.

Make me a +4!

Actually I do both the lead shot under the set screw or the Hornady style locking rings when I find them cheap. I do the specific dies for one rifle and bullet as well, especially in my LR set up and varmint rigs where I demand better accuracy than my hunting rifles. Sometimes I'll pick up a spare seating die or two.

I can't lock them. I change them often for use on different rifles.

I do however have some cheat cases to get me up and running just as quick as if I did have them locked.

It has been my practice to have only one firearm per cartridge, with only a couple of exceptions. I lock all the adjustments on my dies---all Redding for rifle, all RCBS for handgun, and all used on a Co-Ax press, because I HATE fiddling with adjustments. That's one reason I love my Trim-Pro case trimming setup so much...I use Trim Gauges and I can be trimming .223 Remington one minute, and be trimming .25-06 the next, all without adjusting a thing (and no chamfering whatsoever for most rifle cartridges! LOVE it!). But back to dies: I tend to stick with one load and one bullet per firearm also. I don't want to fiddle with ANY adjustments. I don't want to be adjusting my scopes for different loads, either!

RiverRider":125vkr9c said:
That's one reason I love my Trim-Pro case trimming setup so much...I use Trim Gauges and I can be trimming .223 Remington one minute, and be trimming .25-06 the next, all without adjusting a thing (and no chamfering whatsoever for most rifle cartridges! LOVE it!).
Explain please.....

I trim all different cases and I have to adjust and change pilots. I do use a trimmed case I keep in the die set box so the adjustment is made easy but there is still adjustment/changing of the pilot etc to be done.

I lock mine down, but I do like the Hornady style. I have never heard of putting lead shot under it, I really like that idea.

Corey

C.Smith":3jt0aatf said:
I lock mine down, but I do like the Hornady style. I have never heard of putting lead shot under it, I really like that idea.

Corey

Corey the lead shot idea works nice but is only needed if your set screw is made of steel. If you are still working with a brass set screw then it isn't needed as brass is plenty soft and won't harm the thread on the die.

Yup all mine are steel, and they have always frustrated me but this may be the solution I needed.

Corey

Back