Set screw

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
Funny question here and I want to see a show of hands or lack there of...LOL

who uses the set screw on the die set lock ring?

I use it on full length resizing dies which I have very carefully set up the headspace on and I use it on seating dies that I only seat one specific bullet with. Pistol dies no!

Oldtrader3":pvrh4ps8 said:
I use it on full length resizing dies which I have very carefully set up the headspace on and I use it on seating dies that I only seat one specific bullet with. Pistol dies no!

I have all of my RCBS dies locked once set up. That only changes with either diff bullet or a different rifle. Otherwise they stay the same.

Each of mine is set for a specific bullet and rife. They are locked down until I change bullets.

I use a lot of Forster and/or Hornady lock bolts to secure my dies.

I really should buy some of the Hornady or Forster collars with lock bolts. It would surely make life easier to lock the dies and change later. However, I have quite a few Forster dies.

Add another Hornady lock-ring user. I've considered adding Hornady rings to any other dies I have, but I've got my pistol dies locked down for the limited pistol loading I do anymore, and beyond that, I've often found myself considering the cost of three lock rings (~$15-18 shipped to my door) and simply buying the Hornady die set and then selling off the other brand of dies. I like my Hornady dies and have had excellent accuracy from the ammo loaded on them.

And on the topic of lock rings, wouldn't life be easier if the Forster Co-Ax press did not require their own special lock rings? I keep a couple of their lock rings on the bench so that I can use them on the other brands of dies I own, whose lock rings do not work in the Co-Ax. At over three dollars apiece, I'd go broke converting all my lock rings to the Forster type.

duckcreekdick":ztsescb5 said:
And on the topic of lock rings, wouldn't life be easier if the Forster Co-Ax press did not require their own special lock rings? I keep a couple of their lock rings on the bench so that I can use them on the other brands of dies I own, whose lock rings do not work in the Co-Ax. At over three dollars apiece, I'd go broke converting all my lock rings to the Forster type.

I use the Hornady Lock Rings for all of my other dies and Reddings lock rings work fine in my COAX as well, without issues.

Back