Sheep/Goat

For a simple , reliable and overall do everything optic the 6x42 leupold is hard to beat. There is more then one person using them in the mountains and for overall hunting a good friend of mine included.
Binos are a different story , you don't want anything real heavy but still need crisp clear picture out beyond shooting range.
Most sheep hunters also have 3 times the dough invested in the spotting scope then their rifle scope. Especially in areas where there are curl restrictions. By the time you located animals with your binos, then got them in the spotter, identify a legal ram , make the stalk, get to within 25 to 400 yrds, I think a 6x zeroed at 200 is the least of your worries.
There are other brands, I still appreciate leupold warranty and the optics themselves are good to excellent depending on what series you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between the 6x36 and 6x42 there is no wrong answer. The 6x36 is lighter but the 6x42 isn't a lot heavier, the 6x42 should be a bit better in low light conditions compared to the 6x36 due to the larger objective lenses and upgraded lens coatings. Each one is good but it depends on what you want, do you want the lightest scope or do you need a bit better low light performance? There isn't much difference in real life between them in reality.

gerry":1bnmsjht said:
Between the 6x36 and 6x42 there is no wrong answer. The 6x36 is lighter but the 6x42 isn't a lot heavier, the 6x42 should be a bit better in low light conditions compared to the 6x36 due to the larger objective lenses and upgraded lens coatings. Each one is good but it depends on what you want, do you want the lightest scope or do you need a bit better low light performance? There isn't much difference in real life between them in reality.

I was going to say the same thing. I've ran a few of the 6x42's and the smaller 4X's. Both have worked well.

The 6x36 makes for a trim optic on any rifle.

I've had both the 6x42 and the 6x36... and like Gerry said- not so much difference in them for the most part.

I'll chime in- if you're looking to put this on a mountain rifle for sheep and goats and such, low light performance isn't a huge consideration. There isn't much low light during the August sheep season and when there is, it just isn't a good idea to wander around on the mountain!

I kind of crack up when I see guys haul huge glass up the mountain thinking they'll be shooting that crack of dawn shot with 56mm objective- just isn't happening since it never really gets that dark at higher latitude!

gerry":3iwrddy0 said:

Couldn't have put it any better Gerry. They're both excellent scopes. I have a slight preference for the larger 42mm version, but like them both.

Guy

Gerry, , Hodgeman---low light comments--right now we dont have any daylight, just twilight for about three hours LOL. Seriously, your points are well received and I thank you.

Super7. You are certainly correct about that, Bino's and spotting scopes are so important, but for us, not just for goats and sheep in the mountains but also on the ice.

Guy, just sent you a pm, let me know what you think

I have and still have a fixed 4x scope and what I have always wanted was a 5x36mm scope. I my self don't like scopes over 40mm.
I never have any real issues seeing in low light. I have even done a lot of coyote hunting at night on moon lit nights and snow for a back ground and have made some shots in very dark nights.
Brand Leupold is my first pick then Burris.

Cheyenne,

I too have owned and hunted with both the Leupold 6x36 and 6x42 (on a 6.5x55 used to harvest my first stones sheep); while the 36 is a little less weight, and is slimmer and trimmer on the rifle, I found the extra bit of light gathering ability of the 42 to be enough of an advantage to more than compensate for the small weight gain and size gain. Still mounts nicely, and will not detract from either rifle's weight and balance.

As for warranty, Korth's factory trained technicians have done a good job over the years, for not only myself, but many others that I know. My own experience in 1997 was on a scope ( older, new to me, Vari-X III 3.5-10x40) that hit the rocks when I slipped on wet rock on a mountain goat hunt. I mailed it to Korth, they repaired at no cost to me, and mailed it back; it was back on my rifle in 11 days! Still on that rifle today.

I have no experience with either the S&B or Meopta fixed 6 scopes, but know that their other products are top notch, optically. I've never had to deal with their warranty departments either. Cost is definitely higher than the Leupold. As it is a gift from your grandfather, I'm sure that you will be thankful regardless of which fine gift that he selects for you. Enjoy!

Thankful Otter,have you bought a scope yet?

If not,a Leupold 6x36 or 6x42 or a Weaver 6x38 would be good choices for your firearms and hunting conditions.

Back