Sheep/Goat

Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
I only use the 300 and 275 H & H rifles for dedicated sheep and goat hunts. I also prefer open sights or fixed power scope's. Thinking about asking for a 6 x 42 Klassic or Leupold. The Klassic is a smidgin more weight which doesn't bother me. Which do you fellows prefer and is there a third ( or fourth ) fixed power scope ( new ) out there that you would recommend over these two.

I tried this post earlier in the week and was told no one hunts in the mountains with a fixed power scope and I was at work and had zero time to argue ( or discuss ) it with you. And maybe I am the only one in the world that hunts in the mountains with a fixed scope, but I am still curious as to the quality of the Klassic and if there is any other fixed 6 x 42's I should consider. thank you!

Well... I didn't see this post earlier in the week but I can assure you I hunt in the mountains quite a lot with a fixed power scope.

As a matter of fact, I like fixed power scopes very much and have quite a few. Unfortunately we are clearly in the minority on that point as the number of good fixed power scopes is dwindling.

I've used 2.5x,3x, 4x, and 6x in the Leupold line and there's nothing at all bad to say about them. I could likely hunt the rest of my days with a 6x42 and never come up wanting more (or less) magnification or more brightness. My best caribou was taken at 300 yards with a Steyr Scout sporting a fixed 2.5x Intermediate Eye Relief scope. I hit it 3/4 shots while it was moving. Even on my variable scopes- they rarely move off 6x except at the range and the bulk of the animals shot were shot at 6x. My rimfire rifles have had 4x Nikons with no complaints.

I haven't messed with a S&B Klassick (but I want to) but I have a hard time thinking they are 3x better functionally even though they cost 3x the price. I very much want a 6x42 with a 30mm tube and a #1 reticle but at $1000+ I haven't made it happen yet.

I did mount a 4x IOR Valdata for a friend of mine and it was simply superb. The only complaint I had was the tube was a bit short for mounting on a long action rifle and we were forced to use an extension ring. He was happy in the end and at last report has done quite a bit of good shooting with it.

Meopta still makes a fixed 6x42 and looks quite a lot like the IOR.

In the modern era we seem to be attracted to very gimmicky scopes with a lot of bells and whistles that i question the sanity of. I usually want just a few things- good clarity, crosshairs I can see, adjustments that are repeatable and hold zero, and eye relief that keeps it out of my eye brow!

In all seriousness- I doubt you'll ever find hunting that can't be readily accomplish with a good quality fixed power scope.

Cheyenne,

Not that many years ago there was almost nothing but fixed power scopes. I would not hesitate to use one if that is what I wanted. I would go 6x before 4x but, that is me and my old eyes. Your young, a 6x scope would be a rugged mountain scope and serve you well.

Charles, thank you and I have been really busy but saw you did well on your last hunt congratulations and thanks again

Hodgeman, thank you as well sir. This is Leupold country, mainly because that is what everyone before us youngsters had and because of their superb warranty and service policy, so I am comfortable with a Leupold. Since this will be a gift from my grandfather, and he has offered the S& B, I was curious as to how well you or anyone liked it. No use asking him to spent twice as much on a scope if it isn't any better. I did not know Meopta made one and I dont know if he does, but I will tell him. Which of the three ( Leupold, S & B, Meopta ) do you feel would serve me better, for goat/sheep on a 300 or 275 H & H. Whatever it is will be a 6 x 42 ( I think Leupold makes a 6 x 36 ) and thanks again for your kind response

Any of the three manufacturers you name will serve you well, Cheyenne. You wouldn't regret any of them. A six power scope is certainly adequate for the mountains, especially with younger eyes. Now, if you're hunting by Braille...

Cheyenne, I have as many fixed power scopes as I do variables and my favorite is a 6X. When hunting all my variables are set on the lowest power setting in case I have to shoot a running animal I jumped and my favorite variable is a 1.5-5. I want a 1-6X42 but they all tactile reticules which I don't care for.
For the price and glass quality you can't beat the Meopta and that's what I would buy since I already own a 3.5-10X44 Meopta.

yukon huntress":2kyx0v62 said:
. Which of the three ( Leupold, S & B, Meopta ) do you feel would serve me better, for goat/sheep on a 300 or 275 H & H. Whatever it is will be a 6 x 42 ( I think Leupold makes a 6 x 36 ) and thanks again for your kind response

I would lean toward a Leupold for the simple reason that mountain hunting is just hard on stuff- I've damaged a scope in a nasty fall. Sending a failed one back to Leupold is simple and they fix it for free. As outstanding as a S&B is... they can still take a fatal blow and I'd imagine they're a bit harder and more expensive to fix.

As I said before, I have a hard time imagining a S&B really being exponentially better than a Leupold for it's given purpose. I like good optics, but in reality I don't really spend more than thirty seconds looking through a scope on a hunt. I'd rather put money into binoculars, boots and rain gear when it comes right down to it. Be aware, that my Scot heritage comes with a pragmatic streak at times- this is likely one of them.

Of course a 275 H&H wearing a S&B 6x....that's just classy sounding and if granddad wants to dote on you with something special...I'd say let him. I'd have a hard time spending my money on one, but as a special gift from a loved one- that'd be a nice thing carry afield.

Cheyenne, I like the Leupold 6x36 for the mountains, my lightweight 35 Whelen is scoped with one and I have no plans on putting anything else on. To make it perfect I would like the have the LR duplex installed though. The Leupold 6x42 also has a great reputation and would be every bit as good. I have coveted the Meopta 6x42 maybe when funds allow I'll snag one, so far those that have them really seem to like them. I wish I would have bought one of the Burris 6x40's when they still made them, those that had them really liked them.

you and me both Dr Mike ( hunting by Braille )

I agree with Hodgeman about how "classy " a 275 H & H with the Klassic would be --but thinking about the cost as he did, I would be tempted to ask your grandfather for Meopta and Leupold, one for the 300 and the other for the 275--same as the cost for the S & B. I have used S & B scopes in the past and they are as good as it gets to be honest with you, along with the Swaro, --But I honestly do not think they are twice as good as the Leupold or Meopta, especially in a fixed scope.

I believe Gerry and Hodgeman live and hunt in sheep and goat country, excellent people to listen to.

Gerry--loved the Burris and I think my son still has one, but not sure. Never owned a Weaver

Last but not least cheyenne, believe it or not the warranty and service from Leupuld is better than S & B, so take that into consideration. I do not know about the warranty and service of the Meopta. Have you ever had a reason to test Meopta's service ability Gerry ? Or anyone who has needed a replacement or repair of a Meopta scope --how did they respond to you ?

I have not yet owned a Meopta but would like to once day, not sure how their warranty is. I do know Leupold has an excellent warranty which would be something to consider.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a used Burris 6x40.

gerry":14bjsgex said:
I have not yet owned a Meopta but would like to once day, not sure how their warranty is. I do know Leupold has an excellent warranty which would be something to consider.

I'm going to keep an eye out for a used Burris 6x40.

Meopta has a lifetime warranty.

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/warranty.html

For the record, Canadians have to go through Korth to get the Leopold warranty. From experience, I can assure you that this can be tricky on occasion. It isn't the same as someone needing repair in the States might experience.

Am a huge fan of the Leupold 6x42 on my .25-06, which sees a fair bit of mountain hunting for mule deer. Also have a Leupold 6x36 on an old .30-06 rifle. Am a big fan of the fixed 6x, having made shots to 400+ yards, no problem.

Maybe I just happen to like fixed power scopes, or maybe there's more to it than that? Hmmmm....

Guy

Dr Mike,

I had forgotten about that. I now remember in a past communiqué, with Cheyenne she mentioned Korth. Are the repairs done in Canada or the United States ? If the work is done in Canada, are the workers at Korth trained by Leupold ? What about Meopta, are they repaired in Canada as well ? Interesting, thanks for mentioning this Dr Mike.

Dr Mike, also in reading Meopta's warranty you posted, do you think they would replace a scope from an accident. i.e. you, a horse, snowmobile, whatever, falls on it ? I know that Leupold has done so in the past but it was a few years back and in the states.

It is my understanding the repairs of Leupold products at the Korth facility are performed by technicians trained by Leupold. Some work is sent on to Oregon for work. Recently, I did have a Leupold scope that required repair after the sling on the rifle broke, dropping the firearm on a rock. I could hardly claim it to be the result of a manufacturing flaw, and I was billed for the repair. It is not exactly a "no question asked" warranty. It does appear that the repair facility for Meopta is in NY. Thus, like Zeiss before it, repairs are performed in the States. The only scopes I have that were not repaired in the States (other than Leupold) were Kahles. For these, at one time, repairs were performed in Austria. Consequently, I became a repair technician for minor problems. It is possible.

April, I do own a Meopta Meopro 3.4-10X44mm and like it a lot though I have never had to have it repaired I wouldn't be afraid of their warranty or service since they also made the same model for Zeiss in the Conquest series which I also have in 4.5-14X44mm and it is great also. The Meopta has been hunting on my 35Whelen/AI which has considerable recoil but not as bad as a 300bee which broke a scope( not Meopta) that I have yet to send in for repairs. I've read where the quality of the Leopold has dropped off here of late since the company is having issues with keeping up to the market and profit line. I also own Leopold so there is no discrimination on my part or product favoritism.
I hope this helps.

Thanks to all who responded, it is appreciated.

Dr Mike, thanks for the Meopta link and comments. I bet this close to christmas you are very busy
April, your Leupold and Meopta instead of an S & B has merit
Rodger, thank you. We are still big Leupold fans but also think checking out the Meopta would be a wise thing to do
hodgeman, I think your right, the cost of the S & B sort of takes it out of the running

Gerry and Guy, why would I get a 36, instead of a 42 ? OR--if I do decide on two--would you get a 36 and a 42.

The 36 will be smaller and maybe lighter but the 42 will be better at low light since it will gather more light and you can still use low mounts with the 42. Depending on how it's mounted I think you can use low mounts with a 44 also depending on barrel contour.

Rodger, that was exactly what I was thinking and as I mentioned in my first post, the weight factor does not bother me. I would trade the extra weight for the extra light ( especially during this time of year LOL ). But was still curious if there were even more to the decision to get the 36, instead of the 42. Guy mentioned the 42 is his favorite, but Gerry likes the 36 and I have the utmost respect for Gerry and wondered if there was something else I had not thought of, thanks again to everyone who has responded

Cheyenne Gerry sure has a wealth of knowledge that does command respect and I agree with you. I was always one to get the smaller scopes for fear of them getting in the way or catching brush until I got my first 42mm scope and it opened my eyes to what I had been missing. My largest scope is a 44mm and think that is about perfect but still like my 42mm scopes a lot.
I almost bought the Meopta Meopro 6x 42mm for my 35Whelen/AI but the 3.5-10X44 jumped out and grabbed me since it was on sale and more for less money also I have a hard time passing up deals. :grin:

Back