Her 7mm-08 Mtn Goat

Firebird

Handloader
Jun 22, 2013
My oldest daughter and her Utah once in a lifetime mtn goat. I was not on this hunt as it was Halloween and I have three still at home-so I avoided the “you love hunting more than family” argument by staying home on the holiday.
She is in college and works but made time for this tag. My father in law went and is an accomplished hunter and taxidermist and my nephew went. He works at the same fire dept as I do, has the most knowledge of the hunting area and in best physical condition. Her husband was there as well and has some hunting experience, also excellent condition.
My daughter is 110 pounds sopping wet and most her time in a desk. This 7mm-08 with a muzzle brake is the rifle she prefers and certainly shoots the best even tho it is big for her. She killed a big mule deer with it several years ago.
They got off the mtn very late last night (about the time I was calling search and rescue) so I don’t have the whole story, will type more when I do.IMG_8448.jpeg
Remington 700 shooting hand loaded 150 gr AccuBond long range bullets. Leupold scope vx3L 4.5x14x44 with a custom turret. The custom turrets are a lifesaver with young kids, dial, a bit of coaching and give the trigger a little kiss!

Congratulations to your daughter. She looks very happy in the photo. I look forward to seeing the whole story.

What a grand trophy for her. It is without a doubt a wonderful experience that she will cherish.

Awesome, congratulations to your daughter on a beautiful Billy Goat.
You set her up for success.

JD338

Beautiful Billy! Congratulations to your daughter on an amazing animal. Nothing compares with a late fall goat, the fur is amazing! Looking forward to hearing more of the story and seeing some more pictures.

Congrats to your daughter on a fine goat , a trophy not seen on here as much👍

Congrats!
I'm sure everyone involved in the adventure will remember it for a lifetime! Her smile says it all!

I'm sure Gerry will agree, while all hunts are memorable, there is just something special about a mountain goat hunt and a fine trophy to top it off.
Difficult climbs, sore legs, and bursting lungs...and that's just the climb into goat country.
Then there is the scenic views that are mostly viewed by goats, marmots and eagles, the excitement of watching mountain goats do their thing traversing terrain we can only wish to, and then spotting that special billy and getting within shooting distance with your chosen weapon and making that shot.
Laying hands on that thick white hide is something that must be experienced first hand to truly appreciate!
And then looking around at where you are with your trophy and realizing that you have accomplished a feat that very few get to experience.
Upon return to the vehicle at the trail head, your muscles and joints are sore and tired, your back is aching from the burden of the extra weight of the meat, head and cape (who knew goats were so big and heavy! My first was over 350 lbs on the hoof), and you feel like you are almost floating after taking that heavy pack off. And you wouldn't trade the experience for anything!
It will take a few days for joints and muscles to return to normal, but the smile on your face will take much longer to fade...but the pride and sense of accomplishment will remain forever as you recall the details of the hunt and the entire experience of being on the mountain and coming home safely , along with those that shared the adventure. (And if you did it completely on your own, there is an extra measure of satisfaction in the memory that can only be understood by those who have done it solo too)

OUTSTANDING!!!
Congratulations to your daughter. That’s a fine goat.

Vince

My oldest daughter and her Utah once in a lifetime mtn goat. I was not on this hunt as it was Halloween and I have three still at home-so I avoided the “you love hunting more than family” argument by staying home on the holiday.
She is in college and works but made time for this tag. My father in law went and is an accomplished hunter and taxidermist and my nephew went. He works at the same fire dept as I do, has the most knowledge of the hunting area and in best physical condition. Her husband was there as well and has some hunting experience, also excellent condition.
My daughter is 110 pounds sopping wet and most her time in a desk. This 7mm-08 with a muzzle brake is the rifle she prefers and certainly shoots the best even tho it is big for her. She killed a big mule deer with it several years ago.
They got off the mtn very late last night (about the time I was calling search and rescue) so I don’t have the whole story, will type more when I do.View attachment 21339
Remington 700 shooting hand loaded 150 gr AccuBond long range bullets. Leupold scope vx3L 4.5x14x44 with a custom turret. The custom turrets are a lifesaver with young kids, dial, a bit of coaching and give the trigger a little kiss!
What a dream hunt! Congratulations!

Congratulations to all involved, especially your daughter! Well done and fine shooting.

I just now realized I never told this story. The four involved all tell it differently so I will summarize what I think happened.
It’s a long hike in and they had to cross some shale slides and one snow covered hillside. She was scared and nervous guts and the boys wanted to push on too fast and were not experienced at guiding-for example getting the shooter into position first. My father in law kept things under control and helped her through the hard spots. They did find the billies in a great spot. She struggled with the shooting sticks her husband bought-very different from mine that she has always used so frustrating for her. She missed a couple times and hit a couple anll on this goat but the goat made it over the hill and died on the other side. Not a bad recovery and they all learned some lessons.
My father in law and myself have had good discussions about being young and full of energy or older and more experienced. Communication from phones wasn’t possible and the gps which does send messages was safely locked in the parking lot. They skinned it for life size but no one agrees with bullet performance other than a shot through the lungs ultimately killed him.
It’s all downhill after you have killed a mountain goat!
This daughter has a Stack of points for Wyoming antelope but with the last years die offs I’m not sure where to try and take her. My thought of an easier hunt where we could goof off and still be successful died in the deep snow and cold of the 2023 winter. . .

Ah, yes, we do value working smarter as the years pass. The strength and vigor of youth is exchanged for wisdom and forethought.

Back