Shooting a ladder

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
I'm attempting to shoot a ladder with a .35 Whelen at 200 yds but I am not getting the separation I need to identify a node. I loaded 10 rounds using .2 between each to get a full 2 grains of separation.
Is this enough separation and if so, should I be trying to expand the distance? Could someone run a quick load for the Whelen and 225gr Sierra GK with RL17 and RL19?

For that sized cartridge, I'd run .3 or even .5 grain differences. If you can take it out to 300 you would more than likely see separations as well.

Another thought, I did this with my 223 bolt gun, run each of the 10 or so rounds over a chronograph and look for 'flat' spots. These are areas where you find 2-3 or more loads that don't vary much by velocity. Pick a load in the middle of that range and run a 3 shot or 5 shot group at 100 or 200 and see how it works.

After a two year hiatus from shooting and reloading its been interesting getting back into it and seeing things I didn’t before. A buddy of mine shared that newest load work-up method involving velocity plateaus. It didn’t go so well in the three calibers I tested. No flat spots identified .204, 260 rem, 308 win- charges were checked on three scales. Reading the 65guys method he also adds the shooter prep the brass and reloads like you were shooting in a br comparison, something I didn’t do since they are lapua cases and they are hunting rifles. It did however give some good insight into QL’s parameters/ estimates throughout the charge range.

It’s better at estimating a range of charges with certain powders. W748 has a pretty good estimate range, once my parameters were set to match velocities, QL was able to get within single digits of velocities for 8 charges. The other powders in the test and ranges came out smaller, 3-4 charges in the range.

So certainly the burn rates differ near the lower and upper ends of the charges... it’s probably a better node identifier if several loads are chronographed and QL’s parameters are matched to a range. After that, I think you could focus on an obt and get it dialed in.

Maybe the plateau method works for other folks, it just didn’t for me although I am pretty sure I can match velocity and be on the obt node using QL as a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbear":17cccvt7 said:
For that sized cartridge, I'd run .3 or even .5 grain differences. If you can take it out to 300 you would more than likely see separations as well.

Another thought, I did this with my 223 bolt gun, run each of the 10 or so rounds over a chronograph and look for 'flat' spots. These are areas where you find 2-3 or more loads that don't vary much by velocity. Pick a load in the middle of that range and run a 3 shot or 5 shot group at 100 or 200 and see how it works.

I’d still stick with a .2 spread ONCE I’m in the acceptable velocity window. I won’t start the 10 shot test until I’m there.

If you can combine that with shooting at 250-300 yards I think you’d see the spots develop.

I’d skip 19 for the Whelen. Keep with the 15 or 17... if it’s a good gun it’ll shoot. 58-61 grains of 15 with a 225-250 and I’d bet you find something in the 2650-2700 range for the 225’s and 2500-2600 for a 250.

I'm working with a friends Ruger MKII with a 22" barrel. So far it has not liked IMR-4064, Varget or RL15 (surprising) as my Remington 7600 in a Whelen loves it. I've re-torqued the stock and all the mount screws. That is why I'm going to try RL17 next and see if it likes something that gives a little more velocity. I'm not sure what the max would be.

If it doesn’t like those powders, specifically 4064 or 15 something is amiss. Not saying the rifle is bad but it should perk with those. When you say bad, do you mean poor groups or speeds?

Back