short barrel 7mm-08 loads please

bteate

Beginner
Sep 17, 2009
I've started on a Model 7 last week with bedding and a Game Reaper scope mount today so I would like to know what loads you guys have. This little rifle shoots factory PTs around 3/4", but I'm not paying $44 a box when i can do it myself and have alot more fun.

When I had my old 20" barreled M7 my loads all seemed to run less then 100 fps behind what they did when shot from my 24" barreled M700. Powder type or bullet weight didn`t seem to matter, I don`t think you`ll find enough velocity variation to worry about. Work up a accurate load and go hunting.

My old 7mm-08 liked imr 4350 @ 44.5 grains/140 grain B-tips
My new one likes imr 4350 @ 44 grains/140 grain B-tips

thanks, russ808. I forgot to mention that I'll be going with the 140gr AB. That sounds great on the IMR4350, I was planning on using that and Varget to start with.

bteate, I've been using Nosler 140 partitions with H4895 out of my Remington and have nothing but good luck with both accuracy and dropping game. It's not quite as fast as IMR4350 but the difference is negligable and the game doesn't know the difference.

I really lke the Partitions in 7mm-08, but I've got a good many ABs that I'm going to try. The "factory" loads I was referring to was Federal Premium. After I run out of ABs I'll more than likely pick up some Partitions for it, but I do like those Accubonds.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

Well my wifes 7-08 likes 51 gr Big Game with the 120 BT, getting 3130 from a 22" tube. I tried big game with the 140 PT and didnn't have any luck. 4350 was next on my list.

For my wife's Winchester Compact I use 140 grain AB, Rem cases, Fed 210 primers, and 48.5 grains of Rl 19. Her ability to kill deer with that gun and load is scary. I think she is at 5 one shot kills including a nice muley 4 X 4 at over 200 yards facing her.

Man, you can't argue with that. Kinda scary having a wife shoot like that! Congrats to her, good luck to you ifn you ever cross her! Scotty

I know several women who shoot the 7mm-08. All are great shots and have a string of one-shot kills. One of my hunting partners carries a Browning A-bolt chambered in 7mm-08. He seems able to kill most all the game around here with that rifle stoked with 145 grain Grand Slams.

Very hard to beat a 7mm-08 for a young and/or women hunter, truth be known it is a wonderful medium sized game round for anyone. Lots of great choices in the light, scaled down models. It might not be my elk rifle of choice but if that was what I was packing I would not hesitate to take an elk with a 7mm-08. Can't wait to get my wife on an elk.

OK, I shot this morning and was pretty dissapointed in velocity(as usual). I loaded some IMR-4350 to start with.

44gr: great group excluding a fouler and pretty decent counting it (.245" two rounds, .874" including fouler)
2340fps avg ?????????????
44.5gr : .636" three shot group,
2405 avg
45gr: a tick under 1.5"
2460 avg

I like the accuracy, but +/- 2400 fps is a bit too slow I believe. I'm not looking for a blistering velocity, but I'd like to be at least 2600.
Nosler #6 shows alot faster. Oh scratch that, I just double-checked the test barrel length and its 26", that would be the difference. 6" shorter barrel would explain it. Thats why we need a 120gr AB :grin:

Does anyone have any more loads I could try?

That is a dismal speed, regardless of the barrel length. I would be looking at varget or RL15 to pick up the burn rate. I used to load 140 bts using varget in a friends micro medallion and had no prob going alot faster than that!!!!! I would tend to think a 4350 might be a skosh slow to be really efficient for a 20" barrel. just my thoughts...

Rod

I have a Rem 700 BDL Varminter in this caliber that has turned somewhat into my safe Queen.
I don't have any good Chrony info for you, but it pretty much doesn't matter what I put down the barrel or in
what combo, it flat shoots.
My original loads were max charges of IMR-4350 W/ 150gr SMK's or sub 150gr NBT's Didn't matter both shot the same.

N-140 & 140gr B-tips are probalby the most accurate load I've put down the pipe.

Last intentions were to use soley 120gr B-tips ( I agree - where's our 120gr AccuBond )
This is the only load I have any chrony info on, and not sure how good it is -
48.0gr IMR-4350 & 120Btips - CCI BR Primers @ 2862fps This is a 24in tube.

As the above post mentioned - H414 ? I've used it in my .260's with pretty good results.

Good luck and let us know how your next step works out.

A load I recently put together worked in our 24" Encore:

WW cases 120 Nosler BT 2.884 COL CCI 250's avg. 3070 fps. (comparable load with WLR primers no real fps difference).
The barrel looks short compared to the 28" barrels on the Encore!!

Elkeater2

I tried some Varget and had some better velocities and accuracy at 39.5-41.0 gr (maxed out at 41.0, or at least as far as I'm going anyway). Here's my BIG problem, my ES was 114fps on a 3 shot group with an SD of 57. HOW???????? :? :? :?

I shot this load last Friday and accuracy was great so I loaded some more to try with the chrono and was totally baffled.

#1-2688fps
#2-2634fps (touching fist hole)
#3-2574fps (about 1/2" to left, probably me)

there's no vertical stringing whatsoever like I would think with 114 fps difference.

I calibrated the scale(RCBS 750), checked and re-checked charge, seating pressure felt even over the three loaded.

What could cause this? Neck tension? primer? can anyone help?

Load is:

41gr Varget
140gr AB
Fed.210 primer
Fed brass

I might have to start a new topic, though.

oh, I forgot to mention, RCBS FL dies

Back