short barreled 25.06 powder suggestions please

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
I picked up a savage 110 the other day too good to pass up if nothing else it will make a nice overkill coyote rifle.

Anyway I want to try and load some deer rounds for it 100 gr bts or partitions or something along those lines which powder would you try?

My 700 likes retumbo but I think it will probably be too slow for the short barrel I have been playing with rl 17 I think I will try that first also have 4350 rl22 4831 and can get more

Actually the shorter barrel makes no difference. The powder which gives higher speeds in the longer barrel will also give higher speeds in the shorter barrel. Tests have shown this and if you disagree try runing them over a chrono. I have . I have a 15" barrel and a 20" barrel as well as a 22"-24" barrel in 308. The best powder in the 15" is also the best in the 24". Sames goes for my 22"-24" and 15" barrels in 257Roberts.

My friend has a 15" 25-06 and I have a Ruger M77 chambered the same. I have not tried Retumbo but my load using 56grs of IMR4831 with a Nosler 100gr PAR or BT was the fastest as well as trying to but all shots into the same hole. I used BT bullets the last time I hunted Pronghorn but will use PAR bullets this time as I was unhappy with the results. I will say that my muzzle speed was 3447FPS and the shot was about 125 yards.
This loads is one I got out of a Ken Waters book. It is fast and super accurate for me.

I'd try H4350. It would expect it to shoot well, and still give top velocities in your shorter barrel.

In a 26" I'd lean more toward H4831 or RL22.

My wife's 25-06 is a Remington Mountain Rifle with a 22" barrel. The load for it uses 120 gr. Partitions and IMR4350. I think you would be happy with that powder.

4064 is fastest in my 250 savage. 4350 always is accurate. Whats been said already, fast is fast, accurate is accurate. If EVERYTHING else was equal (and it never is) the theory goes that the shorter barel would be more accurate. But that is only theroy.

Divernhunter":15ihluzq said:
Actually the shorter barrel makes no difference. The powder which gives higher speeds in the longer barrel will also give higher speeds in the shorter barrel. Tests have shown this and if you disagree try runing them over a chrono. I have . I have a 15" barrel and a 20" barrel as well as a 22"-24" barrel in 308. The best powder in the 15" is also the best in the 24". Sames goes for my 22"-24" and 15" barrels in 257Roberts.

+1

RiverRider......Thank you. So many people think that a faster powder will give more speed in a shorter barrel. It just does not work that way.

Nitis......Not sure where you are in Northern Ca but I am near Modesto and if you do not have a chrono you can bring your test loads and we can run them over my chrono.

Work up to it but this load has shot really well in every 25-06 I have ever seen. 52 grs IMR 4350 with a 100 gr bullet

Divernhunter":3jdpnwux said:
RiverRider......Thank you. So many people think that a faster powder will give more speed in a shorter barrel. It just does not work that way.

I hear ya Divernhunter. Some myths just seem to ever die!

WereWolf.jpg

RL17 is doing very well in my .25-06. Haven't done much at all with 100gr
bullets, but used 53gr as per their web site and actually chronied 100fps
faster than their reported results. Was using Hornady SP's instead of
their Speer bullets. It got 1/2" and 9/16" 3-shot groups of the two groups
I tested. My rifle was one of the limited edition 112 VLP's with a 26"
barrel, for what it's worth.

You might try the SSC version of IMR7828. The standard version gave me good to best accuracy with the highest velocities in my Model 70 (24 inch) .25-06.

My favorite load in my Marlin XL7C 25-06 with a 22" barrel is 54gr H4831 behind a 110gr Nosler AccuBond. Same load with the 115gr Berger Hunting VLD is pretty sweet also.
Sorry, havn't tried 100gr yet.

Back