shot grouping poll

barthowes

Beginner
Feb 20, 2010
I have a quick question/poll for every one :)

How do you fire a sring of shots when load developing?

1.Do you clean inbetween each shot?

2.Do you fire a fouling shot then shoot for group?

3.Do you fire with a clean barrel first then countinue to shoot your group

4.Other method: please explain in detail... :twisted:

It will depend on the rifle. SOme need from 1-3 fouling shots to settle in. Sometimes you get lucky and the rifle will print to the same POI clean or fouled.
This group was shot out of my freshly cleaned and oiled 338 RUM barrel. The first shot has the dark oil ring on the paper.
338RUM250grAB412.jpg

JD338

barthowes":olyyoexr said:

1.Do you clean inbetween each shot? No

2.Do you fire a fouling shot then shoot for group? Yes 2-3 shots

3.Do you fire with a clean barrel first then countinue to shoot your group No

Today at the range my 300 mag with 180 accubonds put three damn near in the same hole from a clean barrel. Next up was the 30:30 with 170 core-loks. First three were low and left. The next 7 in row grouped nicley inside the 2 inch bullseye. I concluded the first three to be foulers from a clean barrel. I never go for a group in my 06 without one fouler from a clean barrel. My .270 never needed a fouler shot from a clean barrel. Another no on cleaning betwwen shots. I will generally clean after three strings of three. Obviously my rifles vary on this issue. :wink:

barthowes":1huhf4sl said:

How do you fire a string of shots when load developing?

1.Do you clean in between each shot?

3.Do you fire with a clean barrel first then continue to shoot your group

1. Never done it

2. Yes

3. nope

4. 3 shout groups with one or two verifiers. You never know when it is you, the wind or barrel heat.

JD338":qqqvzn4f said:
It will depend on the rifle. SOme need from 1-3 fouling shots to settle in. Sometimes you get lucky and the rifle will print to the same POI clean or fouled.
This group was shot out of my freshly cleaned and oiled 338 RUM barrel. The first shot has the dark oil ring on the paper.
338RUM250grAB412.jpg

JD338
Yep, good barrels will do that.

1.nope

2. yes

3 sometimes

4. Depending upon where I am at in the load development process. If I am close to where I think I am as good as I can be I load 4 if not 6 of each sample. Most aways fire a fouling shot that way I don't have to remember which rifle is which way!!!

barthowes":2c8ygcgr said:

How do you fire a string of shots when load developing?

1.Do you clean in between each shot? NOPE

2.Do you fire a fouling shot then shoot for group? Nope

3.Do you fire with a clean barrel first then continue to shoot your group: NOPE

I generally start my shooting with a clean barrel and just run a bore snake between groups. Most of my barrels are pretty well broke in. I haven't seen the need to really clean the heck out of my barrels while at the range, unless I am shooting alot out of a single rifle, which I generally don't. Scotty

I have a quick question/poll for every one Smile

1.Do you clean inbetween each shot?
No, but I start with a clean barrel

No, I hunt with a clean barrel. In fact, that is the only condition that I can guarantee. IE< if I foul the barrel, how much fouling do i need?

3.Do you fire with a clean barrel first then countinue to shoot your group
Nope. The first shot is on a clean cold barrel. Cold matters more than clean with my rifles.

I am not satisfied with a load until I can get a sub-1/3 " at 100 yds. Or, a single ragged hole.
Hardpan

4.Other method: please explain in detail... Twisted Evil

Hi guys,

1. No
2. Yes
3. Never have
4. I shoot 3 shot groups and then come back a few times with the best results for confidence and it beats sitting at home. Range is less than 15 minutes from my house:)

Blessings,
Dan

With my 7Mag and my 30-06 I'll start with a clean barrel. Shoot 3 shots,let the barrel cool ,then shoot 3 more shots to see how I'm doing. I'll do this for a whole box of shells-20 rds.

7Mags forever and a 30 cal. will "Slam Dunk Um"

Back