Shot my Sauer 101.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Got that Burris scope I just got mounted up on it, got it on paper close, and worked on a new load.

Went with Jimbires method.........use a starting load and work on seating depth first. This rifle shot 165 Speer BTSP's with 57gr IMR 4350 outstanding the very first time I shot it. It's been sitting ever since.

Have a couple boxes of Hornady 165 Interlocks so since I was changing 1 thing, I wanted to see about an alternative load, so I changed powder as well. IMR 4064.

Used a starting load of 48 grains. Showing a lot of promise using this powder as well. I had 5 sets of 3 to shoot. .020-.065 off.

.020 off would likely shoot better than it shows..........first shots out of the truck, I'm out of practice, and I re-positioned both my front and rear supports after this group. Wasn't on the bench at a solid spot and I wasn't comfortable. Regardless, that's not the seating depth it liked as well.

.030 off shot in the high 5's. .040 off in the high 2's. I liked that it got better with changes after shooting a group that was not bad at all prior. To me that says it's likely going to shoot this combo well.

I quit after this because it started spritzing rain. I'm going to load some up at .045 off and also shoot the .050 off yet just to see how wide it's seating node is. Groups are at 100 yds.

Picked this rifle up cheap for what it is. So far in very limited shooting it seems like it was a good decision to buy. Fun to be out today lighting off some powder.

Good shooting right there, .040 off shows promise. Are you going to increase your charges after finalizing your seating depth since you are using a starting charge of powder?

Good shooting right there, .040 off shows promise. Are you going to increase your charges after finalizing your seating depth since you are using a starting charge of powder?

Yeah planning on it. According to what I remember Jim stating, he's found that once you find the best seating depth that holds out to be the best seating depth regardless of powder charge. I'm gonna try some small changes yet at 2 different depths, but I doubt I can do much better than that with a 3-9 hunting scope regardless if the rifle improves a tad more or not.

Kinda did it as a test for that method and just to have an alternative load. If it would've shown a couple different depths that produced under an inch that would've satisfied me really as a combo that would work. Hopefully increases in charge weights doesn't throw it too far out of whack.

How do you like the scope? I would go with .040 off and try different charges.

Crappola. I was all set in my mind to work with some Big Game powder as a replacement for IMR4350 and I can get it cheap. I kinda just did this as a trial for Jim's seating method, and it shoots this powder like that. Now what.
You can still try the big Game powder. Doesn't hurt to have choices. My Rem 700 30-06 likes Big Game with Hornady 165 BTSP. Dan.

Looks like you have great starting point.
Good time to try Big Game.

JD338

increasing the powder charge should not wreck this seating depth . you might tweek it a little , but nothing major . a lot of times I see little to no difference in group size as I add powder .

after finding your best seating depth with IMR4064 , try switching powders to Big Game . use this best seating depth , and start with a min load of Big Game powder and see what happens . the few times I've switched powders , my best seating depth was still my best seating depth . I know it sounds crazy , but give it a try .

I'm glad you're giving it a try , please keep us updated on how things go .

How do you like the scope? I would go with .040 off and try different charges.

Seems to be just fine. Clear for my eyes and the crosshairs don't wave back at me when I look through it. (y) :D

I had to adjust the eyepiece to my eye which is not uncommon anymore. I'd say it's as good as a $140 scope can possibly be. I don't know that I needed or will use the ballistic plex reticle, I probably would be just as well served with a standard duplex, but that's neither here nor there as far as the scope itself.

increasing the powder charge should not wreck this seating depth . you might tweek it a little , but nothing major . a lot of times I see little to no difference in group size as I add powder .

after finding your best seating depth with IMR4064 , try switching powders to Big Game . use this best seating depth , and start with a min load of Big Game powder and see what happens . the few times I've switched powders , my best seating depth was still my best seating depth . I know it sounds crazy , but give it a try .

I'm glad you're giving it a try , please keep us updated on how things go .

Yep, I'll experiment. I'm gonna see what I can get out of IMR 4064........Hodgdon is showing pretty good speed at top charges using a Sierra SPBT, but they are 2.5 grains higher max than Speer data. I don't have Hornady data, I'll just have to work up and see what I can get. I didn't chrono this charge weight yesterday, was heavy overcast and looking like it could rain which it ended up doing, so I didn't set up the chrono.

If I get all buttoned up with a charge weight with 4064, I'll try switching to BG, or even to IMR 4350 at that seating depth just for experimenting sake if nothing else.

You can still try the big Game powder. Doesn't hurt to have choices. My Rem 700 30-06 likes Big Game with Hornady 165 BTSP. Dan.

(y) Good to hear. This is the flat based Interlock. I have both but picked the FB to start. Unlike Speer's, I'm not sure there's much difference between Hornady's flat based bullets and their boat tails other than B.C.

That looks very promising. Also, good shooting on your part. Good luck with your continuing load development.

You have such a beautiful rifle there, and man does it shoot well. It seems as though its going to digest anything you feed it and at worst group acceptably. An extremely undervalued trait in a hunting rifle in my opinion.
I have Burris Fullfield II’s on a couple of my rifles and like them very much. Ive heard they stand behind their equipment but have never had cause to find out first hand.

You have such a beautiful rifle there, and man does it shoot well. It seems as though its going to digest anything you feed it and at worst group acceptably. An extremely undervalued trait in a hunting rifle in my opinion.
I have Burris Fullfield II’s on a couple of my rifles and like them very much. Ive heard they stand behind their equipment but have never had cause to find out first hand.

Thanks. It sure does seem to like 165 gr bullets! The only other bullet weight I tested in it so far was 180 gr Hornady RN the first time I shot it along with the 165 Speer's.

That 180 bullet with a charge of 56.2 of IMR 4350 that works well in a lot of 30-06's, and seated off .060 was MEH. 1.25". But that was one charge, one seating depth. I'm going to try some 150's in it as well as some spitzer 180's. I'd imagine it will shoot other weights also if I do my part on the reloading.

Yep, I'll experiment. I'm gonna see what I can get out of IMR 4064........Hodgdon is showing pretty good speed at top charges using a Sierra SPBT, but they are 2.5 grains higher max than Speer data. I don't have Hornady data, I'll just have to work up and see what I can get. I didn't chrono this charge weight yesterday, was heavy overcast and looking like it could rain which it ended up doing, so I didn't set up the chrono.

If I get all buttoned up with a charge weight with 4064, I'll try switching to BG, or even to IMR 4350 at that seating depth just for experimenting sake if nothing else.
many moons ago that was my combo for my 30.06 . a Hornady 165 with IMR4064 powder . I'd have to dig out the ammo to see the charge weight , I wouldn't want to guess .

let us know how the same seating depth works , with a different powder , for you . I'm very interested .

many moons ago that was my combo for my 30.06 . a Hornady 165 with IMR4064 powder . I'd have to dig out the ammo to see the charge weight , I wouldn't want to guess .

let us know how the same seating depth works , with a different powder , for you . I'm very interested .
(y) Yep, will be anxious to work on it some more weather permitting. This past week was a spring teaser, but it's coming back to reality pretty quickly. Hopefully don't have to wait too long for both schedule and weather to cooperate.

(y) Yep, will be anxious to work on it some more weather permitting. This past week was a spring teaser, but it's coming back to reality pretty quickly. Hopefully don't have to wait too long for both schedule and weather to cooperate.
heck I think it was Thursday I had the big garage doors open . it was 68* . that's just crazy for mid February . I'm thinking we're gonna pay for this , March can be a bugger .

Back