Sierra Gameking BTHP

Never have used a HP for hunting... yet. I am starting on a 257 Roberts and have some 90gr HP GameKings that I'm going to try. I don't have any qualms about using them for eastern whitetails. "Tough" and "made for hunting" are relative terms. I've always considered Sierras in general on the soft side in grand scheme of things in a normal deer caliber. Most hunting in this country is centered around deer and I think any Sierra hunting bullet will work well for me. I generally don't take shoulder shots so I see rapid expansion as a plus on deer. What they are is accurate. I like to use them for load workups because I feel if a rifle won't shoot Sierras it likely needs some work and they are relatively inexpensive. Having said that with larger calibers I use, 338, 358 & 375 in mid to heavy weights, I have no issues using them on anything I would use those calibers for. A 250gr 338 or a 300gr 375 is a tough enough bullet at the velocities I push them. I regularly use the 225gr 358 bullet in my 358Win and it's plenty tough and does expand and I'm not worried about busting bones if I have to. If I'm paying for a once in a lifetime hunt on large game I'll likely use a Partition or similar bullet just for insurance, but have no doubts that Sierras would work. Elk, bear and moose fall in that category. Look at what cartridge the bullet is likely designed for. What your range of impact velocities is going to be. And is it accurate enough to use at the longest range you are going to whack something. And how tough/large is that something and where you might have to hit them. I have never placed much value in water jug testing although it is fun to watch. If Sierra says that bullet is a hunting bullet in 25 caliber my bet would be that it is fine for deer. I would guess that bullet is designed for 25-06 velocities. If you are shooting a hotter cartridge they will expand faster. If you are shooting a 250 Savage or 257 Roberts they'll just be a bit tougher. My 30-06 loves bullets on the heavy side and 190gr MatchKings in particular. I have never used them for hunting but I wouldn't have a problem using them on whitetails or hogs.

Back