Sierra Gamekings vs Nosler Ballistic Tips for whitetails / h

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I have three brand hunting bullets on my shelf for whitetails and hogs that I want to try for the .308 Winchester, Sierra 150 GK, Sierra 165 GK and the 168 Nosler Ballistic Tips. I am going to use Varget loaded close to max. Which bullet would you pick for whitetail / hog hunting? Range is less than 300 yards. It's my first time using the .308 for hunting. I am more familiar with the 7mm Nosler BT, they are awesome.

In recent years I've had excellent success on deer sized game with the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. They open readily, yet retain a pretty significant amount of mass for good penetration. I've used them on whitetail, mule deer, black bear and pronghorn antelope. One whitetail with the .308 Win, the others with a .30-06 rifle.

Then again, it's only deer... I think ANY of the bullets you have on hand will do a fine job. Put a good, expanding bullet in the heart/lung area and notch your tag. I used more Sierras in years gone by. They always did a fine job. Am just really partial to the Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Regards, Guy

Ethan Snyder 06":2akmhpnn said:
I would recommend that you use the 150GK

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ethan, welcome to the Nosler forum! (y)

Regards, Guy

TackDriver284":2l7gzcm2 said:
I have three brand hunting bullets on my shelf for whitetails and hogs that I want to try for the .308 Winchester, Sierra 150 GK, Sierra 165 GK and the 168 Nosler Ballistic Tips. I am going to use Varget loaded close to max. Which bullet would you pick for whitetail / hog hunting? Range is less than 300 yards. It's my first time using the .308 for hunting. I am more familiar with the 7mm Nosler BT, they are awesome.

I think you pick the one the rifle shoots the best. On game performance on a whitetail is going to be inconsequential between them. All of them will do just on deer from a .308.

Have not used either in a 30 caliber. Have used 140 GK and 120 BT in different 6.5's and they both performed great. Never recovered a bullet from either one on heart lung shots. Both seemed to be very accurate bullets also. I would pick whichever one shot the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the responses, was curious on expansion on those bullets since it will be impact velocity under 2600 fps at these ranges.I have loaded some up to try to see which shoots better in my rifle.

All three of those are relatively soft bullets with a reputation for opening pretty easily. You shouldn't have any expansion issues at 2200-2600fps impact velocity.

I used the 140 gr Gameking in my 280 Rem when I first started reloading and took a few deer and three nice sized hogs with em and they worked great.

Any of the bullets you name will work well for you. I've had very good success with Sierra GameKing bullets in the past. I would think that 150 grain bullet would be ideal for deer-sized game.

All three should get the job done but I would go with the 168 gr BT.
The solid base jacket will aid in penetration on a quartering shot.

JD338

I have used the 165 gr BT in 308 on a quartering away whitetail at about 70 yards. The bullet entered about the last rib and was found under the hide on the off side shoulder. Plenty of penetration, but very little blood trail. The deer went about 40 yards.

This year I got a buck with a 165 gr HPBT with my 30-06. Despite bad shot placement on my part the Game King did the job. Full penetration and eventually a good blood trail allowed me to recover the buck. It would've been a quicker recovery had I waited 15-20 minutes to let him lay down instead of rushing after him. I guess after 25 years I'm still learning and relearning this game.

Either bullet will serve you well. Use the one that shoots best and put the bullet in the right place.

Just got back from the range after running a few loads with 168 Nosler BT and Varget / CCI 200 primers. Ran 3 round groups from 43.2 grains to 45.7 grains of Varget in .3 increments. All the groups were .5 MOA or less, with those two groups looking good enough for some whitetail / hog hunting. I will not play with seating depth or do any tweaking, its good enough for some hunting. I may lean to the slower load at 2,720 fps, deer won't know the difference.

P.S. There are other holes in the target with the x on them, ignore them, they were from crappy bullets I was shooting out of the 7mm Mag to fireform new brass.

4sU2NEw.jpg

3z20r13.jpg

Quite a comforting load you are showing. That'll do in most circumstances that anyone could imagine.

GAP builds a great rifle, the .308 Win is known for accuracy, and Nosler makes hunting bullets that can be as accurate as match bullets...

That's what we're seeing here - along with some GREAT shooting!

Nice...

Guy

You've got a winner there!

Should result in both venison and pork in the freezer.

I would not be worried to use that load on most big game in North America (or abroad for that matter) within the hunting range you have mentioned.
Just stay clear of the elk's heavy shoulder bone.

Back