Sights vs. scope on Rossi 62 SA .22 LR

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
So my first real rifle was a Rossi Model 62 SA pump action in .22 LR. Luckily I still have her today!

Like many of you already know, this Rossi version of the Winchester Model 62, went kinda cheap on the iron sights (blade front, too wide of a rear open sight). I used to be able to shoot them well enough but now, I find myself struggling to shoot them well. I shoot a buckhorn and gold bead sight system well enough out to 100 yards on other .22s.

Due to the design on the rifle, mounting a scope is extremely difficult, the brass is ejected straight up out of the action. I would entertain a proper side mount scope but no IER as I don't particularly prefer that system. Bare minimum I need to either do that or replace the sights with better ones.

Does anyone have experience with mounting an optic on the Rossi or Winchester 62 rifles? Or should I just get a nice set of buckhorns sights?

Attachments

• 10E65503-C6CE-4F3B-A615-B2D823253282.jpeg
    10E65503-C6CE-4F3B-A615-B2D823253282.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
I'd get a good set of sights on it, when I asked around about mounting rifle scopes on the one I used to own, people told me it's gonna be a lot of effort and still feel awkward in the end due to ejection. What's the consensus on binoculars vs spotting scope btw? I've read a few articles like https://influencedigest.com/other/spotting-scopes-better-binoculars/ but still kinda not sure. Spotting scope seems to be a tad bit expensive, but then again I'm going for ~$900 budget, so it might fit in.

Last edited:
I'd get a good set of sights on it, when I asked around about mounting rifle scopes on the one I used to own, people told me it's gonna be a lot of effort and still feel awkward in the end due to ejection.
Due to the lack of response from the considerable brain trust which is this forum, I elected to do just that. I dropped it off at the gunsmith just today yo have him fit a 1/16” brass bead front sight and full buckhorn rear sight!

So thanks!

Back