Silencer on your hunting rifle.

Savage99

Handloader
Oct 24, 2004
I met a club member at the range who had a silencer on a .308 tactical size rifle. He was going to use it for coyote hunting in CT in a settled area. Of course he knows the noise will be low and allow him the close in hunting.

What do you think of this?

1. Will this get me 'looked at' by the BATF, FBI etc?
2. As I understand a silencer is available to you and I with a $200 permit.

The particular club member is a retired police officer and he got the rifle with the silencer from a police department.

I found out that: It's illegal to use a silencer on any firearm while hunting (CGS § 26-75)

Thats from the CT general statues.

Savage99":2megqa0s said:
I found out that: It's illegal to use a silencer on any firearm while hunting (CGS § 26-75)

I bet you will find that its illegal in all 50 states.

JD338

JD338":1c7k9o18 said:
Savage99":1c7k9o18 said:

I bet you will find that its illegal in all 50 states.

JD338

Not all 50 :grin:

Very uncommon but it is legal in one or two.

A "silencer" or "suppressor" is an excellent tool - and in some places around the world they're apparently common on hunting rifles. I'd love to use one while hunting, but that can't happen. Phooey. :(

I've shot suppressed .308's, 9mm's and .223's and they're terrific!

Too bad so many Americans associate the "suppressor" with assassins and terrorists - they're really very nice things on rifles.

Regards, Guy

A "silencer" or "suppressor" is an excellent tool - and in some places around the world they're apparently common on hunting rifles. I'd love to use one while hunting, but that can't happen. Phooey.

I've shot suppressed .308's, 9mm's and .223's and they're terrific!

Too bad so many Americans associate the "suppressor" with assassins and terrorists - they're really very nice things on rifles.

+1
Shooting suppressed .223 AR15s is like shooting 22LRs. Suppressed Rem 700 .308 very close to a 22 mag. Both with full power loads. The .308 with sub-sonic loads you hear the firing pin and the thump of the bullet hitting the target. 9mm Uzi suppressed and full auto was to much fun!

If you can get a supressor and want to, DO IT NOW!!!!
Your state law might say you can't use one while hunting but, I would get one while you can.

Just think of the benifits of a supressed rifle. :?
It is your right under the law to own a supressor so....... exercise it :!:

I have a friend who made a .300whisper and uses it on deer. He is now working on a bolt action whisper, can't wait to shoot it :lol:

Back