Simmons 8-Point Scopes

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Sportsman's Warehouse has a great deal on these right now and yes I know they arent the quality of Leupold or Zeiss or Swarovski but has anyone had any experience with these scopes on a .22-250 or .243 as a Summertime truck gun?

Was looking for a cheap scope for my .22-250 but I may just end up "borrowing" the VX1 3x9x40 from my .25-06 for the winter for coyote hunting and buying another VX1 for it next spring if this Simmons isn't worth a hoot.

Don't have any experience with the 8 point. But FWIW we bought my father in law a Simmons some years back for his sporterized Springfield '06.
He called and said he couldn't get it sighted in so I went over there just thinking he wasn't familiar with scopes. I couldn't get it to sight in either. One shot in the bull, the next few all over. Over and over.
I wasn't sure if it was the scope or the old rifle. So I pulled the scope and mounts and put a 100 yd smallbore target up at 100 yards. I haven't seen this rifle in many years but it still had a peep sight. Original or not I don't know. Anyway after a couple of sighters I put 5 in the black from prone. It wasn't the rifle.
That was my sole experience with a Simmons.

Really cant recommend them for a high power. No real reason, just kinda a "get what you pay for feeling". I had one on my 22Mag and thought it was a good scope in that application, Tracked Ok and stayed where I put it, a friend on the forum sent me a bushnell sent me a Bushnell 4-12x50 and I fell victim to the allure of "big glass". Your truck gun is going to take more abuse than some 7MM mags generate in recoil so use the best bases and rings you can afford. That's never wasted money.

Simmons is now handled by ATK. Same corporate entity that Makes weaver and they have improved their product from what I hear. My next budget minded scope will be a Vortex although I don't like the large (compared to leupold) ocular lens. Complicated mounting on my last three rifles.
Any way, a vortex or used Luey would be my pick, about the time you bang that set up on the door jam bailing out of the truck you'll want all the confidence you can get from your "warranty".
Again not really enough experience to steer you away from a simmons, just my thoughts. CL

For a less expensive scope I'd look at the Minox or Zeiss Terra line with a nod going to Zeiss.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

As budget scopes go I would probably give vortex the nod, followed by nikon pro staff. The glass quality in the sub 200 dollar price range probably goest to nikon, but the vortex warranty and features bring it up to the best value.

...I'd take a look @ the Redfield Revolution line as long as you're looking @ similar scopes in that price range, comparing glass, features, warranty, they're a pretty good buy...

Those Redfields do look like nice scopes. Around here though it seems you just as well should spend the extra 20-40 bucks and get a VX-1.

They are almost the same price in some situations. In 2012 the 3x9x40 was going for about 150.00 I believe but now they're well over 200.00 at most places I see.

Back