Simmons Master series 6-24x44 Anybody got one?

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
I just had to get a 6x24 scope after reading an article praising them but I couldn't afford $600 up for one so I tried the new Simmons . I havn't got it yet so now I wonder if anyone has any experience with one. Nothing like using common sense after the fact! :?
Good Hunting
Elkhunt

I honestly have not had any experience with the AETEC, but I do have one of the old 44 Mags on Mauser 98 Sporter that I absolutely have no issues with. I have friends with new Leu's and they say the brightness of my old 44 Mag is the same as their high dollar scopes.

Please let us know how it turns out as I am in the market for a Nikon, AETEC or a Lewy.

Will do. It should be here middle of next week. I'll be leaving for Idaho Friday so I probably have a chance to shoot with it but I'll check it out.

I am sure it is a good scope but who would spend that kind of money on scope with the Simmons name?

Tasco tried it with the Titan remember? What a flop.

POP":33vd63mt said:
I am sure it is a good scope but who would spend that kind of money on scope with the Simmons name?

Tasco tried it with the Titan remember? What a flop.

POP, not sure what you mean...could you explain. I have an old Simmons 44Mag and it is wonderful. I just picked up a Simmons Expedition for a good price. I like Simmons and it fits my pocket book. Please clue me in on something that I may not know.

TIA

Basically what I mean is that these companies that usually bring out "budget" scopes attempt to bring out 500-700 dollar scopes from time to time.
Once they are tainted and identified with these frugal scopes their attempts to bring out great and expensive products will in fact be fruitless. Not that they are not worth anything just people will not buy them.

For instance if Tasco introduced a 1500 dollar set of binos who would buy them, even if they were better than Leica?

POP":3rca2oi3 said:
Basically what I mean is that these companies that usually bring out "budget" scopes attempt to bring out 500-700 dollar scopes from time to time.
Once they are tainted and identified with these frugal scopes their attempts to bring out great and expensive products will in fact be fruitless. Not that they are not worth anything just people will not buy them.

For instance if Tasco introduced a 1500 dollar set of binos who would buy them, even if they were better than Leica?

Point taken. I think he original post was referring to those brands that DO have $600 prices. Nonetheless, you have a point. My dad gave me a Tasco for a Marlin .17HMR otherwise I would probably use it.

As always, POP you have made a good point. Thanks for the explanation.

i have 2 atec scopes, 2.8x10x44 and 4.5x14x44 both are great scopes. much clearer than the vxII competition in their 40mm lines. at an average 0f $200 per scope of savings for equal quality i'll keep putting the atec's on my rifles. they are not vxIII's but they did not cost $600 either

I have the simmons 6-18 44mag on my 22-250. It looses it's clarity on the top end, so I usually shoot it around 12 power.

I havn't yet tried it!
I'm in the middle of a bunch of rifle swaps and I'd like to try it on The 257 WBY when it gets ready for Wyoming. Yeah, nobody has badmouthed Simmons more than me but they're actually not bad optics for the price. They've taken a lead on Bushnell's Phillipine produced scopes. You know I bought a Bushnell Sportview 5x20x40 with bdc in the eighties and used that on my Weatherby for sillouete competition for 10 years. and my $75 Tasco spotting scope (Japanese) is still clearer than my $300 Bushnell. You never know who makes these things and where. It aint a Sworovski but I can see through it real good! Besides with the money I saved I can buy another rifle :lol:
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

i had one on my 338 winnie and had to replace it after 40 rounds. it gets fuzzy after 12 power. and the turrets start moving after every round.

I had a simmons 8 point 3-9x40 on my ruger 10/22 and it only lasted about a year before it went fuzzy on anything past 5x. I paid like $50-60. Not impressed...I"d rate them about as same as a tasco, not even good enough to stick on a .22!

not long ago i did a warantee return on the 2.8x10x44 atec. (mead sent a brand new scope) on the adjustable eye focus it is held in place by soft white plastic/nylon buttons. they fit in a groove that controls the focus. these sheared off under recoil from the 300 win mag. now that mead has sold simmons to bushnell, i believe. i'm wondering if the master series atecs will still be warrated. now i have the eye focus set and then have them electrical taped to stabilize them. i do not know if they have fixed the problem with a rigid button but i'm not taking chances. thus the electrical tape will stay on. the glass is clear and bright on my 2 atec scopes and they are very stabile on zero. time will tell if i wasted my money, but i'm a bit gunshy on simmons master series scopes right now.

Back